Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    MPs should pay

does that seem fair?

Students should contribute more so MPs should contribute more. Start with not claiming almost £250,000 in just 3 months for public transport. I thought we are all in this together? They cut education budget by 80%, why not cut expenses by 80%? Take those cuts to allowances (that were a result out of the scandal more than anything, not cutting the deficit) and make them as big as those education cuts.

This is a bit provocative, although I do believe if they try to argue about this being fair then this is exactly that, fair. This is the generation where the government stops paying for uni, why can this not be the generation where MPs start paying for their own water. Plus, I am quite sure they would get a popularity boost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    MPs should pay

does that seem fair?

Students should contribute more so MPs should contribute more. Start with not claiming almost £250,000 in just 3 months for public transport. I thought we are all in this together? They cut education budget by 80%, why not cut expenses by 80%? Take those cuts to allowances (that were a result out of the scandal more than anything, not cutting the deficit) and make them as big as those education cuts.

This is a bit provocative, although I do believe if they try to argue about this being fair then this is exactly that, fair. This is the generation where the government stops paying for uni, why can this not be the generation where MPs start paying for their own water. Plus, I am quite sure they would get a popularity boost
    :facepalm2:

Fail logic is fail.

ReputationRep:
    So MPs should pay... for doing their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhotas)
    So MPs should pay... for doing their jobs.
    oh it would be such a shame for them to have to pay for things wouldnt it.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    They are paid more than enough.

Plus the pension they get later on. And the publicity, I mean how much will Brown make from his book. Blair get from speeches he gives.
    ....and what gives you the position to quantify their value against what they are paid!

MPs have roles of high responsibility which warrants their earnings, their expenses however have to be proven!

Students are a long term investment but also a high risk with an average of %25 percent dropping out of their course and with subsidies paid to the banks who provide the loans for them.

Once they have graduated and start earning they really do not start contributing until they pay off their loan past %40.

ReputationRep:

Plus the pension they get later on. And the publicity, I mean how much will Brown make from his book. Blair get from speeches he gives.
    Don't like the way you've put it, but I agree with the concept. Expenses should be cut, and rules should be more strict. What is wrong with the normal MP salary? I think there should be expenses allowed for anything work-related, e.g. travelling to conferences and stricter home rules, because MP's are managing to claim for 3rd homes under the current system. But yes, I agree, expenses should be tightened for the good of the budget because MP's are managing to get away with the most ridiculous things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    MPs have roles of high responsibility which warrants their earnings, their expenses however have to be proven!
    Yes a responsibility to act upon the manifesto they were elected to carry out. If they fail to do so, there's very little to justify the extravagant salary they receive.

I agree with danny 100%

ReputationRep:

People do take the job of an MP for granted though. Being an MP you simply can't win and honestly, they don't earn enough hence why they have these bonuses and perks. They do require a lot of travelling and £60K (avg.) a year does not make up for that, especially if you need to go travelling. Yes some expenses are stupid, but we'll not go into that as I agree with you that some need to be cut. I was all for having their pay doubled then most of their expenses being removed, but sadly most MPs (Those that abused the system especially) obviously didn't like that.

Brown was Prime Minister. I'm sorry but did you actually expect him to roll over on benefits?

Blair was Prime Minister. I think he'd be quite valuable to have making speeches at a university or at a lecture if they're willing to pay him? But not all MP's get that sort of treatment, only the top ones. A lot are honest and hard working politicians, but we catagorize them all.

Then again, there are only a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed46)
    oh it would be such a shame for them to have to pay for things wouldnt it.. :eek:
    If you worked in Aberdeen and your job required you to come to London a few times a month, I think you'll agree you deserve some sort of travel package.

But like I said before, I don't agree completely with expenses and they should be reduced. But some people have to see the logic behind the reason they're there.

ReputationRep:
    Why should the government pay for your education. Take responsibility for your life, don't always look towards a government for help

ReputationRep:
    I did not quantify them at all I simply stated facts and rationalised them.

I did not conclude that Student X is equal to this sum which is greater than Society Y. (quantifying)

what gives you a right to quantify how much students cost and how much society benefits from them?
    Positive Rating!
    Stop deflecting, it is a sign of weak resolve!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhotas)
    If you worked in Aberdeen and your job required you to come to London a few times a month, I think you'll agree you deserve some sort of travel package.

But like I said before, I don't agree completely with expenses and they should be reduced. But some people have to see the logic behind the reason they're there.
    Obviously they are they are there for a logical reason, i was simply moaning about how it has been abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed46)
    Obviously they are they are there for a logical reason, i was simply moaning about how it has been abused.
    Moaning ftw.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.