Referendum against the monarchy Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Monarchy or republic
    Monarchy
    57.02%
    Republic
    42.98%

ReputationRep:
    Would you vote for monarchy or republic?Why are we paying millions every year to Charles and relatives?

ReputationRep:
    in all fairness, that money is probably redeemed in added tourism alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    in all fairness, that money is probably redeemed in added tourism alone.
    Tourists would still come

ReputationRep:
    Charles says:"Thank you for the money.Who cares if you must pay 700£ a month for university fees lol"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitch)
    Tourists would still come
    The monarchy is actually a massive draw for tourists. My sister-in-law is Chinese and when her family visited they knew far more about the royal family than we did.

I'm not saying they are the only reason tourists come here, but they play a big part in projecting an image about the UK which is very positive for tourism.

ReputationRep:
    Please, the tourism argument is stupid. As is the argument that we are some how paying for the monarchy to live a luxury lifestyle. You guys portray it as though the queen gets a nice big lump sum which she then goes and blows on a few diamond necklaces or something :facepalm2:

They're rich. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Czech Republic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    The monarchy is actually a massive draw for tourists. My sister-in-law is Chinese and when her family visited they knew far more about the royal family than we did.

I'm not saying they are the only reason tourists come here, but they play a big part in projecting an image about the UK which is very positive for tourism.
    Other countries are republics and have far more tourists.They come for monuments and monuments would still be here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Please, the tourism argument is stupid. As is the argument that we are some how paying for the monarchy to live a luxury lifestyle. You guys portray it as though the queen gets a nice big lump sum which she then goes and blows on a few diamond necklaces or something :facepalm2:

They're rich. Get over it.
    They're rich because we pay them millions every year.Anyone could be rich in this way
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitch)
    Would you vote for monarchy or republic?Why are we paying millions every year to Charles and relatives?
    Threads been done was monarchy by a landslide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitch)
    They're rich because we pay them millions every year.Anyone could be rich in this way
    Nah, they're rich for similar reasons to this guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Threads been done was monarchy by a landslide
    Students may switch to republic now that they must pay very high fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Nah, they're rich for similar reasons to this guy.
    So if they are rich for their own talent,let's stop giving them our taxes.Then we'll see if they are that brilliant lol

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit of semantics, but it should really be referendum on the monarchy. 'Against' is a bit presumptive.

Being a republic won't be much different. You'll just pay millions to a president who does sod all, and is probably some slimy career politician.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pitch)
      Monarchy has nothing to do with that

ReputationRep:
      I'm a lefty liberal, and I will always back the Monarchy. The Queen is a credit to the country, to the British people and to the throne.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pitch)
      are you actually an idiot? this is like the third thread you've made?

Jealous much.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pitch)
      So if they are rich for their own talent,let's stop giving them our taxes.Then we'll see if they are that brilliant lol

Troll harder

ReputationRep:
      I'd vote for a Republic.

(Original post by karateworm)
      I'm a lefty liberal, and I will always back the Monarchy. The Queen is a credit to the country, to the British people and to the throne.
      I'm not too sure a monarchy composes a huge role in 'lefty' ideology.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.