Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I go to the gym 5 days a week burning 500 calories everytime I go. I also eat 3 times a day, usually 2 big meals, and 1 small one inbetween. My diet is also pretty good, I never eat anything that is high in calories. My problem is though that I have to eat so much in order to feel full, and although all I'm eating is low calorie food, I feel like Im going over my RDA.

So in order to reduce my calorie intake, have I got to stop eating before I feel full? If I do that, the next time I eat will I just eat more to compensate?

Ta very much!

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes. You're going over 3000 calories. You fat ****...

Just keep eating and going the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    So I go to the gym 5 days a week burning 500 calories everytime I go. I also eat 3 times a day, usually 2 big meals, and 1 small one inbetween. My diet is also pretty good, I never eat anything that is high in calories. My problem is though that I have to eat so much in order to feel full, and although all I'm eating is low calorie food, I feel like Im going over my RDA.

So in order to reduce my calorie intake, have I got to stop eating before I feel full? If I do that, the next time I eat will I just eat more to compensate?

Ta very much!
    lol at you having a "big" appetite. On my bulk I would be eating seven to eight large meals a day. Often about 8000-10000 calories.

Starting eating properly if you want to reduce your caloric intake. Lean protein sources tend to be low on excessive calories anyway.

ReputationRep:
    dude, you wouldnt be eating it if you werent hungry. Its your bodies way of telling you it needs more nutrition in order to refuel your body and repair your muscles after strength training. I weigh around 67-70kg and i could comfortably say i eat prob twice as much as you do, i eat a massive dinner this evening and was hungry half an hour later-im like a bottomless pit if my metabolism wasnt so good i reckon id be pushing about 18st lol. If youre hungry EAT! dont be worried about over eating, youre body will let you know when its full. Just make sure youre eating healthy food and lots of it and youll be sorted. end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggillystyle)
    dude, you wouldnt be eating it if you werent hungry. Its your bodies way of telling you it needs more nutrition in order to refuel your body and repair your muscles after strength training. I weigh around 67-70kg and i could comfortably say i eat prob twice as much as you do, i eat a massive dinner this evening and was hungry half an hour later-im like a bottomless pit if my metabolism wasnt so good i reckon id be pushing about 18st lol. If youre hungry EAT! dont be worried about over eating, youre body will let you know when its full. Just make sure youre eating healthy food and lots of it and youll be sorted. end of.
    Ok thanks I weigh exactly the same as you, so it makes me feel better about myself Anyway I've been going to the gym for the last 2 months now and burning 500 calories 5 times a week. Haven't noticed any weight change. Could this be because the muscle increase is making up for the loss in fat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggillystyle)
    What type of things do you snack on? I eat almonds but they taste bland, I have fruit for the sugars or whatever, and maybe a healthy sandwhich, but I also eat aload of unhealthy snacks. Probably gonna start writing my diet down so I know exactly what I'm eating, because eating rubbish has just become a habbit which I obviously don't require.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    What type of things do you snack on? I eat almonds but they taste bland, I have fruit for the sugars or whatever, and maybe a healthy sandwhich, but I also eat aload of unhealthy snacks. Probably gonna start writing my diet down so I know exactly what I'm eating, because eating rubbish has just become a habbit which I obviously don't require.
    I don't snack, but if I do, it will be on an orange, or a banana. But even then, a piece of fruit = 100 calories, my 5 a day = 500 calories minimum. It all adds up ^^

ReputationRep:
    include raw nuts and fruit and veg high in fibre to keep you full. plus drink lots of water through-out the day.

ReputationRep:
    I don't snack, but if I do, it will be on an orange, or a banana. But even then, a piece of fruit = 100 calories, my 5 a day = 500 calories minimum. It all adds up ^^
    your 5 a day shouldn't be all fruit it should more be 4 veg and like 2 pieces of fruit at most

How do you only burn 500 cals at a time at the gym though? Doesn't sound to me like you work anywhere near hard enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    your 5 a day shouldn't be all fruit it should more be 4 veg and like 2 pieces of fruit at most

How do you only burn 500 cals at a time at the gym though? Doesn't sound to me like you work anywhere near hard enough
    45 minutes on the cross trainer, and then about 30 minutes working on muscles. You're saying I should do more?

ReputationRep:
    45 minutes on the cross trainer, and then about 30 minutes working on muscles. You're saying I should do more?
    tell me your routine, and what order you do everything in, and at what intensity

and personally I don't have much time for the cross trainer, best cardio in the gym is the ergo, otherwise if one can they should go run and mix some sprints in there

ReputationRep:
    Or the rowing machine, as it works a vast range of muscle groups and improves stamina massively, just by starting with 500m and trying to keep the time under 1:45 will be a good challenge to start and then try and do 1000m in under 3min etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    tell me your routine, and what order you do everything in, and at what intensity

and personally I don't have much time for the cross trainer, best cardio in the gym is the ergo, otherwise if one can they should go run and mix some sprints in there
    I do 9 minutes lvl 13 on the CT , then 1 minute sprint level 17. I'll do this for 30 minutes, then the last 15 minutes I'll keep it level 13 and that usually goes just over 500 calories. I noticed the CT seems to be better than the bike or rowing machine for burning calories, that's why I do it.

I would then work on a muscle group for 20-30 minutes, a different group everyday. For example Monday I would do triceps and chest, Tuesday I'd do biceps, back and shoulders, Wednesday rest, Thursday legs, Friday back to triceps and chest, Saturday biceps, back and shoulders, and Sunday rest. This gives four days rest between muscle groups.

Does that seem ok?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.