The Student Room Group

Distance Learning Courses

Are distance learning MSc courses worth less than ''normal'' MSc?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/clinicalsciencesouth/teaching/stem/

I quite like the modules of the MSc above, however it's a distance learning course. I don't mind doing a distance online MSc as it's make it easier for me to afford.

Are there any disadvantages of a distance learning course when it comes to job prospects? I don't intend to do a pHd.
Reply 1
It depends on the course, and who awards the degree. If it is awarded by the University itself rather than some External (sic) organisation then you can draw on the reputation of that university. In fact some of them are very quick to point out that their graduation and certificate makes no distinction between full-time and distance learners.

If your course is practical (not familiar with your field), or relies heavily on networking for its value then a course with contact may be better. An example I would give of this is an MBA. Note however many part time courses can combine both with about 8 week-long modules and distance study....

Hope this helps.

TBD
Original post by bewafa
Are distance learning MSc courses worth less than ''normal'' MSc?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/clinicalsciencesouth/teaching/stem/

I quite like the modules of the MSc above, however it's a distance learning course. I don't mind doing a distance online MSc as it's make it easier for me to afford.

Are there any disadvantages of a distance learning course when it comes to job prospects? I don't intend to do a pHd.

The big unspoken issue with distance learning is drop out rates. They are incredibly high. For some courses it is well over 50% who do not complete. Ask universities about them and when they stall, press them.
Reply 3
I'm not sure of the reasons for wanting to know this: if it is an indicator of bad course materials, interaction of simply a dull presentation then it may be interesting to know. Beyond that I don't care whether 2% or 65% of students never finish, as long as I do....

An interesting aspect of this is how to ask such difficult questions. If you are applying for a course which is in great demand or for which there is a lot of competition for places, having to ask "negatively-loaded" questions you may be viewed as lacking commitment, for example: what if I don't complete the dissertation, do I get a diploma or nothing. Is the maximum time for the course really the maximum time ?

This is all the more reason why such details for distance learning and part time courses should be published up front.

TBD

Original post by nulli tertius
The big unspoken issue with distance learning is drop out rates. They are incredibly high. For some courses it is well over 50% who do not complete. Ask universities about them and when they stall, press them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
For a job like engineering, I would say three years of postgraduate distance learning while obtaining professional work experience I view as more valuable than one or two years full time with no work undertaken.

I've read that distance undergraduate degrees in subjects such as law where competition is fierce are not given such kudos as the full time course at a good law school.

TBD

Original post by bewafa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending