Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I take English Lang + Lit separately at A2 if I took the combined course at AS? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The question's in the title. I'm currently in my AS year in college and I'm taking History, Film Studies, English Lang + Lit and Biology for my courses (and I'm also being forced to do General Studies on top of that as part of this extended project for people who got so many As at GCSE, but nevermind) and I intend to study History at university.

However, I am concerned about my choices of Film and Biology. If I were to turn back time to when I was making my subject choices, I would have instead taken Government & Politics and Psychology in their places, but oh well, life's a female dog. Biology and I simply do not get on on a fundamental level - and the same could be said for Film Studies and any prospective employers or universities I apply to.

However, I am very keen on English. I love it dearly, I have a small library of classics and creative writing is my main hobby. I'm not too keen on how the integrated course works because I don't like writing about Shakespeare's use of premodifiers and subordinate clauses, etc. I think that taking the two separately along with History would earn me more brownie points than History, Lang/Lit and Film. This is a yes or no question and can be answered in a single word, but here it is;

If I took the combined/integrated English Language and Literature course for AS, would it be possible for me divide them when I reach A2 into separate English Language and English Literature subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Oh bugger off Marvin. :P

ReputationRep:
    You cannot just do a subject at AS and then split in in 2 and get 2 A levels out of it. The english lit course is completely different, they study different texts, the format is different. If you wanted A levels in both, you would have to start the AS's from the start and take each subject separately

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.