The Student Room Group

I am not enjoying my medical degree

I am quite far on in the course (past third year) so I do not want to quit or change courses. Ever since we switched from theory based to ward based work I am really struggling to enjoy it. I feel like a spare part on the wards, I find patients intimidating and I am too scared to practise clinical skills. It really upsets me as up until the wards I thought I really enjoyed the degree. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
I guess you can go into research, clinical investigators often spend more time in the lab than with patients. Or just give it a while, until most of it becomes second nature and then start enjoying it
Haha, 3/4 of my grandparents are doctors and from what they've told me this is COMPLETELY normal. A large part of wanting to become a doctor is the desire not just to help others, but improve yourself as a human being. Of course its a steep learning curve when you first start. But the harder you have to work and the further you are out of your comfort zone, the quicker you'll develop. Stick with it.

In any case theres loads of research and academic areas you can go into.
Reply 3
its probably due to just feeling nervous, you're more closer to becoming a doctor. although, I probably cannot really assume how tense it must be to be studying medicine. its probably because you're more closer to becoming a doctor. some feeling of anxiety is kicking, as it is not just theory work anymore but hands on practical work.

feeling like a spare part would be expected because you're new to it all and haven't really experienced how a hospital ward works. you'd feel more comfortable with it over time.

my advice would be to just face your fears, and start practising your clinical skills. its the best way to improve them and you would probably feel more comfortable by actually working on patients. take more enthusiasm in your work, patients are only intimidating because they are in a hospital and have a worry of some kind. be more optimistic and become more involved in every way you can.

hope it helps! :smile:
I'm sure that the feelings you have described are common amongst med students. Have you got friends on the course you can talk to, particularly in the later years? They may be able to give you some advice and information on their experiences and how they coped.

I recommend you post in the current med students part of the forum, I'm sure you'll hear from lots of people who have had similar experiences there.
Reply 5
It's an extreme feeling of dread and nervousness especially before practical exams. I am ok with the written side of things but I crumble in prac situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending