Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Personal Weight-loss Success Stories? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been trying to lose weight for a while (only about half a stone...I'm a bit rounder than I should be) and while the fitness forum is helpful on technical advice I just wondered if there's anyone who has their own suggestions for what worked for them and got them results, not just 'eat less and do cardio' but how much did you do, and what calories/food/recipes would you reccomend? And what weight loss did you see? This would be really helpful so thanks in advance if anyone replies.

Siobherz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    I heard an interesting piece of advice once, you should only eat food with the same amount, or less, fat than the body fat you want to be.

So if you want to be 10% body fat, then only eat foods with 10g, or less, fat per 100g.
    Have you tried this? Or has it worked for anyone you know?

That's pretty interesting actually, will look into it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I didn't change my diet, but for 3 months I went to the gym twice a week for an hour and worked out, cardio stuff including spinning sessions (ABSOLUTE KILLER) plus a few weights and lots of core work.

The reason I did this was because I had decided to run a 10k race for charity and was mega unfit! I finished the race and along the way got a flatter stomach, better legs and more confidence...plus I can now touch my toes! I didn't change weight due to gain in muscle as well as loss in fat.

So I would recommend doing what I did, signing up to a race, getting people to sponsor you so you can't back out then just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Lost 1 stone + since September. I was 14 stone, now just under 13. I just stopped snacking in between meals, cut down portion size, a healthy dose of caffeine and I ride my bike to university everyday. A good work out on the way home as one of the hills is epically steep. Having a single speed makes it a hard job to ride to the top. And twice monthly I go riding with the uni society for a big work out session.

Joining the gym in the new year and stopping smoking.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What time did you get for your 10k?
    56 minutes, not as well as I could have done, should have done it in 45-50, but a few days before the race I came down with a chest infection and the doctor told me not to race...

But I wanted the hospice to have the money I would raise by running, so I ran =D

ReputationRep:
    I heard an interesting piece of advice once, you should only eat food with the same amount, or less, fat than the body fat you want to be.

So if you want to be 10% body fat, then only eat foods with 10g, or less, fat per 100g.
    This is complete and utter bull****, where did you hear this?

OP unfortunately the only way to lose weight is by a having a maintainable calorie deficit in your diet. You can achieve this by either eating less or doing more your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    This is complete and utter bull****, where did you hear this?

OP unfortunately the only way to lose weight is by a having a maintainable calorie deficit in your diet. You can achieve this by either eating less or doing more your choice.
    Ah right so it's just about calories. Well excuse me while I go eat my daily 1500 calories of lard, I'll have that 6 pack in no time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    56 minutes, not as well as I could have done, should have done it in 45-50, but a few days before the race I came down with a chest infection and the doctor told me not to race...

But I wanted the hospice to have the money I would raise by running, so I ran =D
    56 minutes is very good for your first 10k. Got any more planned?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    56 minutes is very good for your first 10k. Got any more planned?
    Ha ha while at uni I've failed to go to the gym at all! I will hopefully start going to the gym next term then do some races in summer. Long term aim is to do Great North Run when I've finished uni as a kinda "start of my totally free independent life thing".

Although this time round I wont have my mum to run with me (she did last time as she was in training for the Great North Run) so I'll raise less money overall (we did joint sponsorship and raised £4,000) but still, any money is good for a charity, plus keeps me fit and healthy!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right so it's just about calories. Well excuse me while I go eat my daily 1500 calories of lard, I'll have that 6 pack in no time!
    I don't even know where to begin. It's simple thermodynamics.

If you have a calorific intake that is lower than the amount of energy your body consumes then your body will become catabolic and break down macromolecules such as fats to supply the energy needed. This is essentially the purpose of a fat. To provide a source of energy when you are unable to take in sufficient amounts of energy.

Of course not all calories are created equal and some things are better for you than others but if you honestly want to lose weight a calorie deficit is all is that is required. I would say here that anyone eating 1500 calories daily is most likely severely malnourished. Having said that anyone only eating 1500 calories a day would lose weight (most likely muscle and fat) regardless of the source of the calories.

Please answer the question I asked you, where did you hear your advice? Or better yet do you have any evidence at all that it works? After all if it where true body builders trying to drop the last few bf% would stop eating fats wouldn't they? Where as in actuality they don't. They reduce carbohydrates.

ReputationRep:
    About a year ago I used to weigh 50 stone. I now weigh just 10 stone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobherz)
    Have you tried this? Or has it worked for anyone you know?

That's pretty interesting actually, will look into it

LOL what garbage, you see it trash like this which irritates me. This is not "experience" and is lolworthy advice as its totally unworkable in the real world. Christ, too many retards floating about this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes I know about the calorie deficit. If the OP wants to lose weight then obviously they should be eating less calories than they're burning, but the food in which they're getting calories from should be low in fat, and a good guide to knowing how much fat your food should contain is by eating less than the body fat % you want to be.

I can't remember where I read it, was quite a while ago.
    Dont quote it as its absolute garbage. In fact I suggest you stop posting altogether. You share the typical retarded mentality fed to the majority of the nation by trash "bodyfat blitz" documentary and daily mail borne fad diets. Reason why most of them are out of shape and never loose the weight they intend to. Fat is not the enemy, no macronutrient is. Its about creating a healthy balance. The main problem is that people consume far too much trash and junk food, essentially overloading on simple carbs and then leading highly sedentry lifestyles. Keeping carb sources limited to complex wholegrain options is a sensible alternative. Fats are also highly beneficial, maintaining a bodies anabolic state even during caloric deficit and in turn aiding the bodies ability to burn fat. Fats from nuts, cheese, eggs and fish are highly recommended. Protein is also highly beneficial, most of the regulars here encourage muscular hypertrophy via resistance training as the added muscle encourages an increased rate of weight loss.

These are the principles most people maintain when loosing weight and they're pretty much the only ones you need. It no "secret" just common sense which, unfortunately, is not very common.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so my advice which was effectively 'if you want to lose some weight, try to avoid high fat foods' and you're slating it?

I'm not telling people to cut fats out of their diet, I'm saying eat healthy foods! You've manipulated what I said in your head so you can trash talk.
    The only trash here was your post. You specifically said the following:

I'm sticking to foods that are under 10% fat and it does seem to be helping (but I am doing HIIT 3-4 times a week as well).

It's an incredible easy diet to follow as well. A lot of nice food are <10% fat. Pizza express pizzas (£1.99 at Tescos) are about 6% fat, oven chips are about 3%, so you're not exactly limited to what you eat.
    I mean come on. Pizza is rubbish because it is laced with simple carbs, sodium and numerous additives which are hardly beneficial to weight loss. Fat is the least of anyones worries, the same with chips. Yes you advice sucks because there is no scientific or even logical backing to it whatsoever. Lean beef often has more than 10% fat, so do certain nuts. Now, think before you next answer as you already have made yourself sound like a tard and are now running the risk of sounding completely bereft of intellectual capacity. Do you seriously consider lean meats and nuts are bad for you? Really, seriously?? No ones manipulated anything, your "advice" is terrible.

The whole low fat thing is a ploy people use to find a way to continue consuming the junk that made them fat since so many are now playing the "low fat" charade. Fat is only part of the "problem" if you even want to call it that. Simple carbohydrates limit lypolysis and create insulin spikes which in turn allow for further fat retainment yet they recieve nowhere near the vitriol fat does.

By the way anyone suggest the feces known as tesco's value pizza as a genuine dietary option should be laughed out of any serious debate. I wouldnt feed that **** to a dog, and I hate dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    The only trash here was your post. You specifically said the following:

I mean come on. Pizza is rubbish because it is laced with simple carbs, sodium and numerous additives which are hardly beneficial to weight loss. Fat is the least of anyones worries, the same with chips. Yes you advice sucks because there is no scientific or even logical backing to it whatsoever. Lean beef often has more than 10% fat, so do certain nuts. Now, think before you next answer as you already have made yourself sound like a tard and are now running the risk of sounding completely bereft of intellectual capacity. Do you seriously consider lean meats and nuts are bad for you? Really, seriously?? No ones manipulated anything, your "advice" is terrible.

The whole low fat thing is a ploy people use to find a way to continue consuming the junk that made them fat since so many are now playing the "low fat" charade. Fat is only part of the "problem" if you even want to call it that. Simple carbohydrates limit lypolysis and create insulin spikes which in turn allow for further fat retainment yet they recieve nowhere near the vitriol fat does.

By the way anyone suggest the feces known as tesco's value pizza as a genuine dietary option should be laughed out of any serious debate. I wouldnt feed that **** to a dog, and I hate dogs.
    The Pizza Express Pizzas aren't actually that bad, the ingredients are decent quality, unlike the Tesco value pizzas.

Lean beef and high protein snacks is hardly going to be the main supplement in a programme that is just about losing some weight. Your knowledge is clearly based upon mass building, in which bring on the steaks and nuts.

Everyone needs a well balanced diet, and if you're trying to loose weight you need regular small healthy meals, in which it's advisable to avoid having highly fatty foods, I don't mean all foods, like cheese and nuts though.

ReputationRep:
    The Pizza Express Pizzas aren't actually that bad, the ingredients are decent quality, unlike the Tesco value pizzas.

Lean beef and high protein snacks is hardly going to be the main supplement in a programme that is just about losing some weight. Your knowledge is clearly based upon mass building, in which bring on the steaks and nuts.

Everyone needs a well balanced diet, and if you're trying to loose weight you need regular small healthy meals, in which it's advisable to avoid having highly fatty foods, I don't mean all foods, like cheese and nuts though.
    Er well yes actually, whether its beef or not is down to preference however lean meats should make up a good chunk of a dietary regimen for anyone who is looking to lose weight healthily. Its incredible when absolute buffoons seem to be content with dropping red meats because of their fat ratio yet seem content with eating pizza and crisps, you know, because they are consuming the "light" alternatives. Unless a cheat meal pizza should not make the bulk of anyones weightloss diet, even the so called "healthy" alternatives offer far too little useful macronutrients for the amount of calories you are consuming. This has absolutely nothing to do with bulking, the fact that you link eating red meat with bulking shows me that you have not even the slightest inclination as to understanding what it is you are talking about therefore it boggles the mind you would try to offer advice.

Your last paragraph seems to be riddled with contradictions. Seriously, why cant some of you just leave the advice giving to the adults?

ReputationRep:
    Er well yes actually, whether its beef or not is down to preference however lean meats should make up a good chunk of a dietary regimen for anyone who is looking to lose weight healthily. Its incredible when absolute buffoons seem to be content with dropping red meats because of their fat ratio yet seem content with eating pizza and crisps, you know, because they are consuming the "light" alternatives. Unless a cheat meal pizza should not make the bulk of anyones weightloss diet, even the so called "healthy" alternatives offer far too little useful macronutrients for the amount of calories you are consuming. This has absolutely nothing to do with bulking, the fact that you link eating red meat with bulking shows me that you have not even the slightest inclination as to understanding what it is you are talking about therefore it boggles the mind you would try to offer advice.

Your last paragraph seems to be riddled with contradictions. Seriously, why cant some of you just leave the advice giving to the adults?
    I don't know if this is relevant but I used to eat quite a lot of junk and I was advised to eat red meats instead because they were "cleaner"

I did so but my question is what exactly is the difference between "clean" calories and dirty calories. How much of a difference does it make?

ReputationRep:
    Well, My height is 5'5 and my weight used to be 73 till about a couple of years ago. I wasn't getting any game :P so I decided to take drastic measures. I brought my weight down to 54 in around 6 months using a few relatively simple measures.

1)COMPLETELY avoid junk food. You need to STOP eating useless stuff if you want to see quick and drastic changes in your body structure.
    2)Exercise- I didn't use to do it much it is very important if you want to lose weight in a well-rounded manner and not like suddenly your tummy is 4 inches in and your cheeks are still swollen. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    I don't know if this is relevant but I used to eat quite a lot of junk and I was advised to eat red meats instead because they were "cleaner"

I did so but my question is what exactly is the difference between "clean" calories and dirty calories. How much of a difference does it make?
    There is no difference. A calorie is a calorie. Here is the problem though. Weightloss has never been as arbitrary as caloric deficit. There are a number of other factors which effect weightloss too. The function of fat burning itself which is dependent upon the macronutrients you consume, protein to feed your muscle which aid fat loss, carbohydrate intake or lack thereof effecting metabolic rate. These are just some of the factors which are heavily dependent upon the macronutrients you consume. Of course in theory you could just eat **** and maintain a caloric deficit. However the lack of protein means you wont be repairing muscle, enter a catabolic state and look worse. A lack of carbs will leave you feeling weak, lethargic and slow metabolic rate which actually inhibits fat loss. A lack of fats will further allow your body to slip into a catabolic state which, rather surprisingly, does no favours for weightloss.

Now, I just consumed a box of pringles. About 350kcal, thats pretty close to a piece of chicken, about 340kcal. Now have a look at the macronutrient content: 43g of protein, 103mg of sodium, 0 carbs and 5g of fat.

Now look at it for a box of pringles, there are only 8g of protein, about 75g of carbs, 33g of fat and about 800mg of sodium. Ultimately its useless, far too many calories for far too little useful macronutrients. The chicken is the superior option even though it has the same amount of calories. The protein is useful for growth and repair, and the lack of sodium means you wont retain water.

ReputationRep:
    There is no difference. A calorie is a calorie. Here is the problem though. Weightloss has never been as arbitrary as caloric deficit. There are a number of other factors which effect weightloss too. The function of fat burning itself which is dependent upon the macronutrients you consume, protein to feed your muscle which aid fat loss, carbohydrate intake or lack thereof effecting metabolic rate. These are just some of the factors which are heavily dependent upon the macronutrients you consume. Of course in theory you could just eat **** and maintain a caloric deficit. However the lack of protein means you wont be repairing muscle, enter a catabolic state and look worse. A lack of carbs will leave you feeling weak, lethargic and slow metabolic rate which actually inhibits fat loss. A lack of fats will further allow your body to slip into a catabolic state which, rather surprisingly, does no favours for weightloss.

Now, I just consumed a box of pringles. About 350kcal, thats pretty close to a piece of chicken, about 340kcal. Now have a look at the macronutrient content: 43g of protein, 103mg of sodium, 0 carbs and 5g of fat.

Now look at it for a box of pringles, there are only 8g of protein, about 75g of carbs, 33g of fat and about 800mg of sodium. Ultimately its useless, far too many calories for far too little useful macronutrients. The chicken is the superior option even though it has the same amount of calories. The protein is useful for growth and repair, and the lack of sodium means you wont retain water.

Cheers for taking the time out to explain this, a lot better than the people who just state and then say **** like "acccept it fakkit".

Two questions; everyone says salt is bad, but what exactly is wrong with high sodium intake. Why is retaining water not good?

Secondly, if junk food doesn't have these decent macronutrients, what exactly is the extra "stuff" made of and why is it unfavourable? May just be secondary school dogma but I always assumed that most of food is made up of those classes of macronutrient.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.