Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Starting at bath in 2011, with BBA. On gap year so definitely going, offer accepted etc. Just wondering, which halls are best? Looking for most lively halls etc as first year should really be about fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently staying in Marlborough which is really nice as ensuite room but there aren't many people in a flat and my flatemates don't leave their rooms often. I spend most my time in Wolfson(Westwood) as they have larger halls and I have lots of friends there, great for predrinking gatherings and the such, but I'd say Eastwood is actually the best as they're arranged almost like houses but with a. lot of people. They have a community kind of area so you can all sit together which you can't in most flats (other than the kitchens). They also have really large rooms in Eastwood

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend against Woodland, Norwood and Polden. Mostly all other halls are generally sociable! I'm currently at Conygre in Westwood
    I'd say westwood's layout is more sociable than eastwood's due to them just staying within their houses, but in westwood it's much easier to socialse with the other floors/blocks within your building (60 people as opposed to eastwoods 30)

ReputationRep:
    I was in Marlborough in my first year but got unlucky and ended up in a flat of 3 instead of 7, and then one of my flatmates moved out so there was just the 2 of us... definitely not sociable! From my experience, Eastwood always seemed really sociable, there were always loads of parties there. Woodland did as well, and Marlborough/Solsbury are fine as long as you get a 7 person flat! But it also depends on if you want an ensuite etc... the kitchen space in Eastwood seemed tiny compared to Marlborough/Solsbury/Woodland and I couldn't have done without my ensuite!

ReputationRep:
    Brendon Court!
    VERY social as we're not divided into flats, once you're through the front door you can go and visit as many kitchens as you like and see who's about.
    Central position.
    Same price as westwood - but nicer. NO BREEZE BLOCK WALLS (we have plaster). Alot quirkier in design too, not uniform blocks like westwood, Brendon has come character!
    Cleaner comes twice a week to do the kitchen/bathrooms, sounds lazy but srsly you will thank her when you've got a ton of work hanging over your head.
    2 toilets and 3 showers per kitchen group, which is about 11 people. This is plenty, i've never had to queue.

In my opinion, eastwood isn't that nice. There's alot of different options there though I think. As in you can have a cleaner or not. But it seems cold and breeze blockish..

ReputationRep:
    NORWOOD!! Its amazing and probably the most social. It was refurbished for this year and have been told by people in westwood and solsbury/marlborough that it's wayy nicer than theirs. Our rooms are big, some have amazing views. Our flat has 2 toilets and 2 showers between 7 so there is never a problem. There's a large social area on the fourth floor with a flatscreen tv and vending machines, something no other accommodation has. we also have comfy sofas in our kitchens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmer)
    Brendon Court!
    VERY social as we're not divided into flats, once you're through the front door you can go and visit as many kitchens as you like and see who's about.
    Central position.
    Same price as westwood - but nicer. NO BREEZE BLOCK WALLS (we have plaster). Alot quirkier in design too, not uniform blocks like westwood, Brendon has come character!
    Cleaner comes twice a week to do the kitchen/bathrooms, sounds lazy but srsly you will thank her when you've got a ton of work hanging over your head.
    2 toilets and 3 showers per kitchen group, which is about 11 people. This is plenty, i've never had to queue.

In my opinion, eastwood isn't that nice. There's alot of different options there though I think. As in you can have a cleaner or not. But it seems cold and breeze blockish..

THIS. Brendon Court ftw. Best decision I ever made. We got to know everyone in the whole building. it helped that it was catered so we all went to dinner together every day.

I was 3rd floor, blue kitchen, how 'bout you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    THIS. Brendon Court ftw. Best decision I ever made. We got to know everyone in the whole building. it helped that it was catered so we all went to dinner together every day.

I was 3rd floor, blue kitchen, how 'bout you?

Catered?! It's not catered anymore!

3rd floor green kitchen!!

ReputationRep:
    Do catered halls still have kitchens?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any catered halls, as far as I was aware they're all self catered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    Do catered halls still have kitchens?

There aren't any catered halls at Bath uni. Not anymore anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If I go for Marlborough or Solsbury, am I doomed to have no social life? I want an ensuite but I don't want to be with a load of elitists/snobs, as I've heard most of the ensuites consist of them. >_>

ReputationRep:
    If I go for Marlborough or Solsbury, am I doomed to have no social life? I want an ensuite but I don't want to be with a load of elitists/snobs, as I've heard most of the ensuites consist of them. >_>
    I wanted an ensuite but didn't get one. But tbh I don't mind at all. I have a sink in my room and the showers and toilets are always free and they get cleaned twice a week so its not so bad.

If u still really want one go for woodland, it appears to be more social than marlborough or solsbury with around 15 per kitchen. But I do know people in "social" flats in solsbury it depends if you get lucky with your housemates.

ReputationRep:
    oh and as for the snobs, they can crop up anywhere in bath. not really accommodation specific. just ignore them, the majority of people are nice

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think that Marlborough and Solsbury are full of elitists or snobs?! That seems like a massive assumption given that I'm guessing you haven't met many (if any) people from there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemiss-sunshine)
    What makes you think that Marlborough and Solsbury are full of elitists or snobs?! That seems like a massive assumption given that I'm guessing you haven't met many (if any) people from there...
    Many posts on this board gave me that impression. Though they were probably generalising.

ReputationRep:

I haven't met a single elitist or snob at Bath! If you're unlucky then you could end up with flatmates who aren't socially lively, but you could get that in the larger flats too. At the end of the day, you don't just go out/ have a social life with your flatmates.

I experience the best of both worlds as if I want to drink and go out, I go to a flat where I have lots of friends, but then my flat is quiet which is perfect for revision (seeing as there is a strictly no noise policy during exam times with no social gatherings allowed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    I haven't met a single elitist or snob at Bath! If you're unlucky then you could end up with flatmates who aren't socially lively, but you could get that in the larger flats too. At the end of the day, you don't just go out/ have a social life with your flatmates.

I experience the best of both worlds as if I want to drink and go out, I go to a flat where I have lots of friends, but then my flat is quiet which is perfect for revision (seeing as there is a strictly no noise policy during exam times with no social gatherings allowed)
    What hall are/were you staying at? What do you think about Polden Court?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anam93)
    What hall are/were you staying at? What do you think about Polden Court?
    Hey, I used to stay In Marlborough Court. I can't help with Polden Court I'm afraid as I've never been there.

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell anything about Osborne House ? Is that good? I am also interested in studio-flats in there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.