Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im sure there are other sections to which this thread would be better suited but wanted the opinions of more mature students.

Although im only 21 (dont think thats considered a 'mature student' by unis) I feel that im over the standard 18 year old student life style.

I will likely participate in Freshers week however after that i have no desire to go out 4 nights a week or live in absolute squaller. I imagine myself living in a shared house from the first year, not halls.

My point being, i heard on the news, quite a while ago that most students will work through their second year and are often forced to work during their third year, even though this is the most important period of university. As a mature student (19+) do you see yourself living the 'typical student life', do you plan to just focus on studying and not the partying or do you intend on working during your first year whilst studying?

Personally I would prefer to work during my first year. Im a waiter and tend to earn 10-15 an hour (mostly cash due to tips) so realistically could probably cover my living costs (food drink transport etc, not including rent) on 2 shifts a week. Id prefer to do this and not work during the third year of uni, to me it makes more sense. Not sure how realistic this is though?

Opinions?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.