Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Let me get this straight..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Your complaining about tuition fee rises, yet you dont have to pay them up front?
    You get to take out a taxpayer funded loan, for higher education, and only pay it back once your earning £21,000 (This is on the new scheme thier bringing in chaps)
    also, you do realise it's barely a debt? After 30 years it gets written off, and earning a minimum of 21,000 a year (remember thats the minumum for giving back!) you really won't be giving much back each year

So because of this, even though taxpayer money is being lent to you to pay for a university degree, you decide to smash, graffitti, and vandalise property that the taxpayer has to pay for, to get lower fees? You do realise that your protests are infantile, and the violence and vandalism is stupid right? Just checking you knew that

Oh, and blame the police all you want, they were doing thier jobs, they're riot police, you hit them, they will hit you back , you have right to protest, no right to rioting

ReputationRep:
    so an education deserves a mortgage then does it?

**** head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack-b)

**** head
    Oh dear...
    You get school and college free
    But oh no! Taxes don't cover university, university is expensive!
    (I'm sure this is all very shocking to you)

The government lends you some money to pay for your expensive university education "Heres some cash to pay for it buddy! Oh don't worry, you can pay it back when your making enough money to be comfortable on! "

£21,000, a good amount to be earning a year! (This is also the MINIMUM that you have to start paying back your student loans on), "Pay us back a bit every year, and if in 30 years you havent payed it back, we'll call it quits"
    Sounds pretty damn good to me

Sounds a lot better than my bank loan debts! They dont care what I'm earning, and took my T.V!

ReputationRep:

**** head
    Read what the OP said, then you'd realise it's nothing like a mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    It's still (up to) £27,000 however you dress it up.

If I went to a car dealership looking for a car for £9000 and the salesman said 'well it was £9000 yesterday, but now it's £27,000, don't worry though I can offer you a great finance package which you can pay off over the next 30 years' I'm still going to be pretty pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone knew that the fee system would change, regardless what government got elected. I think most people wouldn't have had a problem with the fees increasing. Tough economic times, we get that.

What I think most people are pissed off about is this:

1) Nick Clegg promised to vote against raising fees, yet went back on his word as soon as he got a bit of power within government. People hoped the lib dems would be a little different to the usual tory/labour lying we've had to put up with for years. Turns out they were wrong.

2) The fees are tripling. Going from having to pay around £9,000 for a university degree to up to £27,000 is a massive increase.

3) The fees are going up, yet university funding is being cut drastically. Everyone starting a course from 2012 will be paying three times as much for an education of poorer quality.

ReputationRep:
    Nobodys forcing you to buy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)

If I went to a car dealership looking for a car for £9000 and the salesman said 'well it was £9000 yesterday, but now it's £27,000, don't worry though I can offer you a great finance package which you can pay off over the next 30 years' I'm still going to be pretty pissed off.
    Depends if you expect the state to pay most the price of the car or not.

ReputationRep:

Why do you think you deserve it though? It's a fact of life that things go wrong, be pissed off all you like, if your not making 21,000, you get a free education anyway...then when your making at least 21,000 a year, you start paying back the money you owe...

ReputationRep:

**** head
    If you truly appreciate the value of education, yeah.

ReputationRep:

**** head
    Insulting somebody because they don't believe what you belive, oh dear.....

ReputationRep:

**** head
    **** off, peasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Depends if you expect the state to pay most the price of the car or not.
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Why do you think you deserve it though? It's a fact of life that things go wrong, be pissed off all you like, if your not making 21,000, you get a free education anyway...then when your making at least 21,000 a year, you start paying back the money you owe...
    I'm not saying I expect the state to pay for me, or that I deserve it. I'm saying I understand why people going into uni education from 2012 are going to be annoyed that they're paying up to £27,000 for their degree, but the people from the year before only had to pay £9000.

ReputationRep:
    I love the argument for tuition fees increase.

1. Graduates benefit the taxpayer. This is undountable. Without engineers,lawyers, medics etc the country would not develop as quick as it should.
    2. For people to take up these professions, it should not cost £35,000. (This cost deduced from 3x£9000 fees + 3x£2500 maintenance loan).

Btw I am not saying engineering, lawyers and medics are the only degrees that benefit the taxpayer.

Go on, shoot me down...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I expect the state to pay for me, or that I deserve it. I'm saying I understand why people going into uni education from 2012 are going to be annoyed that they're paying up to £27,000 for their degree, but the people from the year before only had to pay £9000.
    The people from the year before also had to start paying back when they were making £15,000 a year, the new scheme will mean that you only start paying back your student loan (not nearly as frightening as it sounds, no bailifs, you pay back a small bit every year) once your earning £21,000 a year. And yea, its not fair that universitys are costing more now, but life isnt fair, its a recession, leave education and you will realise that NOTHING is fair

ReputationRep:
    A few questions:

Why do we still pay for other people to use the National Health Service?

Why do we pay for other families' tax credits?

Why do we pay for other peoples' child support?

Why do we pay for EU membership?

Why do we pay for MPs to live cushty lives?

Why are we going to pay to subsidise Welsh students?

Why are we paying for doleys to get free dental treatment?

Why do we pay for other peoples pensions?

Why are we handing over billions to banks when they already have billions in assets?

Why are we paying for the war in Iraq

Why are we paying for the Royals travel expenses?

Why are we sending out so much foreign aid?

I could go on all night long. I'd like to know why all of a sudden, is the absolute worst thing tax payers money could support is higher education yet everything else is totally ok?* Is it because proletariat students are an easier target for the simple minded populace than faceless lying politicians and businesses? Hmm.......I thought as much :rolleyes:

That said, I don't agree with the momument defacements at all. That IS disgraceful.

* = My point is higher education should have equal importance to most of the things mentioned in the list, as opposed to less.

ReputationRep:
    I love the argument for tuition fees increase.

1. Graduates benefit the taxpayer. This is undountable. Without engineers,lawyers, medics etc the country would not develop as quick as it should.
    2. For people to take up these professions, it should not cost £35,000. (This cost deduced from 3x£9000 fees + 3x£2500 maintenance loan).

Btw I am not saying engineering, lawyers and medics are the only degrees that benefit the taxpayer.

Go on, shoot me down...
    They undoubtably provide the most obvious benefits to the taxpayer..............if we swop "lawyers" for "teachers" first that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Your complaining about tuition fee rises, yet you dont have to pay them up front?
    You get to take out a taxpayer funded loan, for higher education, and only pay it back once your earning £21,000 (This is on the new scheme thier bringing in chaps)
    also, you do realise it's barely a debt? After 30 years it gets written off, and earning a minimum of 21,000 a year (remember thats the minumum for giving back!) you really won't be giving much back each year

So because of this, even though taxpayer money is being lent to you to pay for a university degree, you decide to smash, graffitti, and vandalise property that the taxpayer has to pay for, to get lower fees? You do realise that your protests are infantile, and the violence and vandalism is stupid right? Just checking you knew that

Oh, and blame the police all you want, they were doing thier jobs, they're riot police, you hit them, they will hit you back , you have right to protest, no right to rioting
    Way to lump all students in the same category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    And yea, its not fair that universitys are costing more now, but life isnt fair, its a recession, leave education and you will realise that NOTHING is fair
    Do you realise that the new system:
    A) is going to cost the treasury more initially
    B) there is doubt whether it will ever save the government money
    C) by the time the first graduates to study under this system begin repayments, the government is aiming for a budget surplus

Therefore, the argument that the drastic cuts and the tuition fee hikes are necessitated by the economic climate is a red herring.

ReputationRep:
    OP has the right idea
    and tbh this is goign to do a good job of cutting student numbers back, people are going to think twice about ehri golf course management degree now they may have to pay back more (although with that kinda degree im not sure thell ever really have to pay it back)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.