Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coughing up Phlegm, slight chest pain, diagnosis? Help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I've had a cough for about 3 months now, initially it was a dry cough. I went to see the Doctor and he said it was Bronchitis and it would cure itself, as it was Viral, Antibiotics wouldn't do anything.

Anyway after a month of coughing up yellow phlegm I went back and they gave me an antibiotic, which did start to help, but the dosage wasn't large enough in my opinion. Anyway its another month later, and I still have this phlegmy cough! Also two days ago I developed a slight pain in my chest (left side I guess), it's weird, as if I move my arm up, the pain goes away, but in some positions that I sit/stand, I can feel a slight aching in my chest. I'm booking an appointment with my Doctor YET AGAIN for the Monday coming, but does anyone have an idea of what is causing this? I coughed up some more yellow phlegm earlier today, and was convinced that I saw a small trace of blood in it. I'm really worried that it's cancer or something serious , thank you all!

ReputationRep:
    Did you completely finish your initial course of antibiotics?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, it was a weeks worth (just over) and I finished them around 3 weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    you've got cataracts
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nah don't worry about this, it's most likely just a chest infection...
    I've had a lot of them over past two years, including one that lasted 3 months as antibiotics wouldn't seem to knock it out! Went on steroids, antibiotics and an inhaler and finally (10 tablets a day, 4 puffs on the inhaler a day for a week) it stopped! It sounds like your lungs are producing excess mucus (hence coughing up phlegm) and the pain is because in different positions your lungs are more squashed making breathing harder.

However if you really are coughing up blood (not just paranoid about it) then it could be more serious so go to a doctor.

Likelihood is, it's nothing.

OP, I'm battling the same thing! I've had 2 rounds of antibiotics and I'm still left with coughing up phlegm, which is sometimes yellow/green and I'm getting lil small streaks of blood - not big amounts, just small hairline streaks on and off in my phlegm. I'm at my wits end with it because the pain in my chest is so painful and I've seen 4 Drs and none of them know exactly, well 2 guessed it might be viral and that's all I know. Im worrying because I'm in alot of discomfort and I just want it to go away.

I don't know what to do anymore :-(. (even the nurse I went to see today for blood test didn't seem too concerned) :-(.

ReputationRep:
      See a doctor. People who claim to be "battling the same thing" very well could not be. Many things can present the way you described.

Just see a GP and find out what you have rather than post on TSR and find out what a bunch of untrained students are speculating that you might have.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Scubar)
      you've got cataracts
      Funny as that may be, it's quite inappropriate..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AndroidLight)
      Funny as that may be, it's quite inappropriate..

well aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

laughter is the best medicine, apart from actual medicine

OP - best advice, if you're worried, go to the doctor, they'll be able to diagnose you properly, better than random people in a forum who can't see you, and would be guessing anyway

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.