Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is our contemporary society laughable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is our contemporary society laughable since very few of the things we believe in matter in the grand scheme?

Millions own Blacberries or iPhones, but who cares? What if society one day became Luddite-esque and started to hate technology? What good would owning an iPhone or Blackberry be then?

We crave celebrities, but most of these people are flawed. Amy Winehouse is mentally ill and warped, Rooney is a cheater, people like Gazza are alcoholics. How perfect are these people then?

I think our society is good in that we generally are tolerant, but is one major negative that most of the things we value are just fluff?

ReputationRep:
    You're really full of **** sometimes and your attempts at sounding like some philosophical guru match that of a 6 year old who is beginning to question things.

The phone thing is so ridiculous that i see no point in responding and the celebrity thing is just a major assumption about society which isn't true for many people at all.

ReputationRep:
    Subbing so I can come back when I'm more awake and contribute to a topic I feel rather strongly about...

ReputationRep:
    One, rooney is not a cheater.. he is one the most honest footballers out there, if you watched any football you'd know that.

Two, no1 said celebrities are perfect.. no1 says that, say that point is invalid.

Stop trying to be all philosophical when infact your posts is stupid, pointless and has no real value to anything.
    Your trying to see the things we value dont really mean anything.. but you dont build upon your point at all. They mean something in terms of monetary value, like every single thing in this world does. If your trying to say that things of such value dont mean anything then houses, cars, wedding rings etc all dont mean anything to people.

I literally have no point what your post actually meant.. 'very few of the things matter in the grand scheme of things'. If your going to post such a varied statement atleast build upon it to actually say something valuable instead of trying to sound all clever.

ReputationRep:
    You should do more research on society before making such grandiose and ill-conceived claims.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing special about the attitudes of modern society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    You're really full of **** sometimes and your attempts at sounding like some philosophical guru match that of a 6 year old who is beginning to question things.

The phone thing is so ridiculous that i see no point in responding and the celebrity thing is just a major assumption about society which isn't true for many people at all.
    it's a correct assumption.

One, rooney is not a cheater.. he is one the most honest footballers out there, if you watched any football you'd know that.
    He cheated on his girlfriend.

If your trying to say that things of such value dont mean anything then houses, cars, wedding rings etc all dont mean anything to people.
    Cars are transportation, houses are living places, and wedding rings symbolise commitment. How do those things not matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    You should do more research on society before making such grandiose and ill-conceived claims.
    What research? Millions do own smartphones. Millions buy celebrity magazines, or watch reality TV.

OK, not everybody does, but I think these are big things in our modern society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

Cars are transportation, houses are living places, and wedding rings symbolise commitment. How do those things not matter?
    So do MILLIONS and millions of people all across the globe.. in EVERY SINGLE country.. so this stupid point of yours is now invalid.

and the second point, what the hell are you talking about.. your the one who said phones dont matter .. yet they as important as the things i listed thus if you say phones dont matter than i said those things dont.

Millions own these phones you list, but even more own homes, millions own cars and posh cars.. so how come your not moaning about them? It is just the same as owning a mobile phone.

You are really trying to act more clever than you actually are.. i suggest you stop before you embarass yourself, like you already have.

ReputationRep:
    it's a correct assumption.

I'm pretty sure the term 'society' comprises more than select groups of people, but all the groups banded together into a whole. So, are you saying that across all levels and classes in society, there is a manic celeb obsession? If so, you need your internal workings looked at.

Oh and to narrow it down even more, you've mentioned a few celebrities who probably have transgressed recently, but you fail to mention the positive role model celebrities who some people look up to.

ReputationRep:
    This is just western society

ReputationRep:
    What research? Millions do own smartphones. Millions buy celebrity magazines, or watch reality TV.

OK, not everybody does, but I think these are big things in our modern society.
    Do you have hard evidence to support those claims? No.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that these are new trends? That they have created new values in our society? No.

Before you can even comment on contemporary society, you need to understand past societies and how little humans have actually changed, despite huge technological advances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    So do MILLIONS and millions of people all across the globe.. in EVERY SINGLE country.. so this stupid point of yours is now invalid.

and the second point, what the hella re you talking about.. your the one who said phones dont matter .. yet they as important as the things i listed thus if you say phones dont matter than i said those things dont
    I don't think phones are important. Romantic commitment and shelter are basic human needs/desires, cars are not. I think most things in our society exist just so, or are simply relative to our society. Everybody knows that.
    You are really trying to act more clever than you actually are.. i suggest you stop before you embarass yourself, like you already have.
    Well, I don't think merely passing a degree is the definitive sign of intelligence. Whether you subscribe to that, I don't know, but it's a free world I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I for one will never own an Iphone or Blackberry, and I will not crave celebrities.

However, I don't have a problem with people if they want to - these things just don't appeal to me, I see them as mundane and pointless, but people are welcome to view them as useful and interesting.

People can do and think what they want (to an extent ).

ReputationRep:
    Although I agree with you, I don't think you have a convincing argument.

But, it's 2 am and I'm too pissed to write a good argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Do you have hard evidence to support those claims? No.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that these are new trends? That they have created new values in our society? No.

Before you can even comment on contemporary society, you need to understand past societies and how little humans have actually changed, despite huge technological advances.
    Human nature has never changed. But I think in past societies, there was no everyday culture as we know it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think phones are important. Romantic commitment and shelter are basic human needs/desires, cars are not. I think most things in our society exist just so, or are simply relative to our society. Everybody knows that.

Well, I don't think merely passing a degree is the definitive sign of intelligence. Whether you subscribe to that, I don't know, but it's a free world I guess.
    Oh so phones .. a way of communicating with people across the world thus bringing everyone close together.. making the business world closer thus givign advantages to businesses.. arent important?

I did not say anything about passing a degree meaning some is clever? .. :facepalm: can you atleast TRY to form a actual arguement or something.. jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowman.Hath)
    This is just western society
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Oh so phones .. a way of communicating with people across the world thus bringing everyone close together.. making the business world closer thus givign advantages to businesses.. arent important?
    In other words, only fluff, relative only to our current society. When there was no globalisation, there was less need for global telecommunications. Globalisation only exists due to capitalism, and capitalism may not last forever.
    I did not say anything about passing a degree meaning some is clever? .. :facepalm: can you atleast TRY to form a actual arguement or something.. jesus.
    This is the common societal definition, and the one put forward by most on this website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)
    I for one will never own an Iphone or Blackberry, and I will not crave celebrities.

However, I don't have a problem with people if they want to - these things just don't appeal to me, I see them as mundane and pointless, but people are welcome to view them as useful and interesting.

People can do and think what they want (to an extent ).
    Of course people can do what they want. Who doesn't recognise that?

I'm simply saying that none of these things have any inherent importance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.