Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone fancy giving me advice on uni choices please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Applying for economics, 2011 entry.
    GCSEs- 4.5 A*s, 6 As, 1 C. Distinction in DIDA ICT (A*)

AS levels- economics, geog, maths, physics -ACEE
    A levels- economics, geog, maths ACE

F****d up two years of my life basically, now i'm retaking geog and maths A level and carrying on physics to A2 at a different college.
    Targeted AAA.

So over all, hopefully, i'll have AAAA.

I HAD applied to (access to)Leeds, (access to) York, Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol.
    (I've been in touch with all five, and they've told me they accept retake students)

But today my UCAS has been returned me because of an error in my details and i've decided to change my choices as i'm scared i've been too optimistic- i'm fully aware of the competition. I was considering swapping Bristol for Liverpool, or Nott for Liverpool. Or one for Liverpool and one for Southhampton.

I'm going to send it off tonight and there's no one really i can ask for advice as i haven't found my college very helpful and no one in my family has a clue about university. So i was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what choices to change?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubba.ok)

F****d up two years of my life basically, now i'm retaking geog and maths A level and carrying on physics to A2 at a different college.
    Targeted AAA.

I HAD applied to (access to)Leeds, (access to) York, Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol.
    (I've been in touch with all five, and they've told me they accept retake students)

But today my UCAS has been returned me because of an error in my details and i've decided to change my choices as i'm scared i've been too optimistic- i'm fully aware of the competition. I was considering swapping Bristol for Liverpool, or Nott for Liverpool. Or one for Liverpool and one for Southhampton.

I'm going to send it off tonight and there's no one really i can ask for advice as i haven't found my college very helpful and no one in my family has a clue about university. So i was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what choices to change?

Can you give the entry requirements for all of them (original choices and possible new ones), and their policy on retake students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Can you give the entry requirements for all of them (original choices and possible new ones), and their policy on retake students?
    leeds-aaa
    york-aaa
    sheff-aab
    nott-aaa-aabb
    bristol-a*aa-abb

I was thinking of changing to include one of/both of these (but wanted opinions):
    Liverpool-abb
    Southampton-aab

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and they all accept retake students.

ReputationRep:
    leeds-aaa
    york-aaa
    sheff-aab
    nott-aaa-aabb
    bristol-a*aa-abb

I was thinking of changing to include one of/both of these (but wanted opinions):
    Liverpool-abb
    Southampton-aab
    It's nothing like an expert opinion, but they seem quite narrow and economics is notoriously competitive; plus, this year is competitive so you're looking at the top end of the range realistically. You have AAA predictions, which are good - would say that means you could afford Bristol as a risky choice, and then maybe one of Nottingham or York as one that should be appropriate. However, I'd recommend having a couple of AAB-ABB unis, and an even lower one as an insurance.

So something like Bristol, York/Nottingham (York is probably less competitive, because whilst both are excellent unis, York isn't a particularly popular one at the moment), Sheffield/Southampton, Liverpool and another uni.

However, like I say, not an expert opinion by any means, plus it's all dependant on you being happy with those unis - if you're not happy with the safer choices, you may as well risk it on all of them if you'd just reject an offer from Liverpool.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Targeted AAA.

Personally I would leave out Nottingham and Bristol. I understand that Nottingham are looking for 7A* grades at GCSE for economics and Bristol is heavily oversubscribed- both would be pretty risky choices.
    Liverpool and Southampton are two v. good other options well worth consideration. I believe the latter offer a 4 year MEcon.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing like an expert opinion, but they seem quite narrow and economics is notoriously competitive; plus, this year is competitive so you're looking at the top end of the range realistically. You have AAA predictions, which are good - would say that means you could afford Bristol as a risky choice, and then maybe one of Nottingham or York as one that should be appropriate. However, I'd recommend having a couple of AAB-ABB unis, and an even lower one as an insurance.

So something like Bristol, York/Nottingham, Sheffield/Southampton, Liverpool and another uni.

However, like I say, not an expert opinion by any means, plus it's all dependant on you being happy with those unis - if you're not happy with the safer choices, you may as well risk it on all of them if you'd just reject an offer from Liverpool.

Good luck.
    Okay i'm thinking.. York, Leeds, Sheff, Nott and Liverpool (?)
    Thank you btw

ReputationRep:
    Okay i'm thinking.. York, Leeds, Sheff, Nott and Liverpool (?)
    Thank you btw
    IMO, it's still a bit weighted towards the top end and doesn't really give you a back-up; like I say, economics is very popular from what I gather, so it might be wise to have a wider spread and a BBB insurance uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Personally I would leave out Nottingham and Bristol. I understand that Nottingham are looking for 7A* grades at GCSE for economics and Bristol is heavily oversubscribed- both would be pretty risky choices.
    Liverpool and Southampton are two v. good other options well worth consideration. I believe the latter offer a 4 year MEcon.
    Yeah i understand what you're saying, Nottingham is a no then because i don't want to waste a choice..
    Okay so now i'm at leeds,sheff,york,liverpool...hmm m do i give Bristol a shot or Southampton?

ReputationRep:
    IMO, it's still a bit weighted towards the top end and doesn't really give you a back-up; like I say, economics is very popular from what I gather, so it might be wise to have a wider spread and a BBB insurance uni.
    Okay, so i'm going to steer clear of Southampton and Bristol and put in a BBB.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    York is AAB, and i think a BBB/300points offer would be a very good idea
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Definately put in a lower option(s). Loughbrough is another good uni and I think they are AAB or ABB.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham are really really hot on gcses (7 A*s was reported one year) - have you looked at the TAELT in this forum? (Economics section)

I do think that you should swap York or somewhere for a lower one - what if you didn't get AAA grades? Plus as you say, the competition is really really tough for economics. Have you looked at somewhere like Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    Definately put in a lower option(s). Loughbrough is another good uni and I think they are AAB or ABB.
    Didn't see this before I posted but looks like we're thinking alike!

ReputationRep:
    hve u considered manchester uni or aston uni?? their good for economics....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.