Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve wanted a leather satchel for years, but because I’m a coward, I always thought I’d look out of place carrying one around school or wherever. But since satchels are now “in” (the bag of the season!), I’ve decided to have one for Christmas. Obviously I’ve seen the famous Mulberry satchel and it is pretty much my dream satchel, aside from its astronomical price tag (which I’d have to sell all my possessions and vital organs to afford.) I know that highs street shops usually make a “cheap” version of the most expensive of items, so I was wondering where I could get one that is similar in look/design to the Mulberry. In case you don’t know what it looks like, here it is:

I love the overall look of this. The colour (light oak), the gold detail, the shape, the straps etc. I've had a look around and I've not yet been able to find a "cheap" one that looks similar in style to this. I did see one in Next that was quite nice, but I don't think it was made out of genuine leather - and I'd like genuine leather if possible.

My budget is on the low side (£30-60) and I'd like to be able to see it in person before buying it (so online shopping is not really an option.) Are there any shops that are selling satchels similar in design to this one?

Any help would be appreciated. I’m going shopping tomorrow, so plan on having a look.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh mama subscribe! TK Maxx always have bags like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nightingale)
    My budget is on the low side (£30-60) and I'd like to be able to see it in person before buying it (so online shopping is not really an option.) Are there any shops that are selling satchels similar in design to this one?

Any help would be appreciated. I’m going shopping tomorrow, so plan on having a look.
    That bag is divine. Oh my gosh, I would kill to own one. You'll be hard pushed to find a good match on the high street..I would say, look in shops like Aldo or more high end high street shops, because they are the shops that will most likely sell quality genuine leather bags. Good luck, and let me know if you find anything (because i will probably go and buy one myself :P).

ReputationRep:
    Next probably do one of the nearest copies:

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women...chel%26quot%3b

ASOS have a few very nice ones, some look a little more like a Proenza PS1 than an Alexa but they're still lovely satchels

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Leathe...&clr=Chocolate

Barbour do a nice version, slightly less fashion-y and more practical though:

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbo...er-Tarras.html

This one from Topshop is really nice too, sold out online but you might be able to find it in a shop:

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...8051&langId=-1

And if all else fails.....charity shop! I got a real vintage brown leather satchel from a charity shop a few months ago for £3, it's beautiful and probably my favourite bag at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I've been having exactly this problem! went all around london department stores looking for something similar and got all excited when I saw one, only to realise I was looking at the mulberry stand, sadtimes... I've bought the paler version of the asos one in the link above, just waiting for it to arrive now

ReputationRep:
    Got one in Next for £30, however it is obviously not real leather.

Love it though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.