Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How will this increase in fees affect the international students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am on the process of applying to universities in the UK for the September 2011 entry and joining a "B-class" university (such as Southampton, Queen-Mary, Louborough), will my fees also increase? How will the whole thing effect the international students in general? I heard that there are plans to limit the number of students coming to the UK from outside the EU, is it true?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of fees, I think no change, you still get overcharged.

ReputationRep:
    Ms_Flames, are you applying for undergraduate or postgraduate? And where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goewyn)
    Ms_Flames, are you applying for undergraduate or postgraduate? And where are you from?
    Undergraduate! I am actually from Bangladesh but am currently residing in Dubai. The quality of education is terrible here (especially for my field) so I wanted to move to the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    I am on the process of applying to universities in the UK for the September 2011 entry and joining a "B-class" university (such as Southampton, Queen-Mary, Louborough), will my fees also increase? How will the whole thing effect the international students in general? I heard that there are plans to limit the number of students coming to the UK from outside the EU, is it true?

Thanks!
    fees will probably be the same since international students already pay the full amount, however they are planning to cut down the number of international students coming into the Uk by a very large amount and that may take effect from january 2011. The entrance requirements will be very high, you can get more info here http://www.ukvac-ng.com/news.aspx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dboy437)
    fees will probably be the same since international students already pay the full amount, however they are planning to cut down the number of international students coming into the Uk by a very large amount and that may take effect from january 2011. The entrance requirements will be very high, you can get more info here http://www.ukvac-ng.com/news.aspx.
    That site makes no mention of any intention to cut down on international student numbers.
    The govt do intend to shut down the bogus language schools and tighten up the student visa system so that only genuine students get in, but that is a welcome reform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    That site makes no mention of any intention to cut down on international student numbers.
    The govt do intend to shut down the bogus language schools and tighten up the student visa system so that only genuine students get in, but that is a welcome reform.

Even I recently read an article about David Cameron stating that the number of international students entering the country will be limited and a tougher system issued so that they cant work here after graduating.

All I am worried about is the tuition fees...some unis I have been looking into have their tuition fees as high as 15K and thats the max I can afford

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the economic rationale for limiting international students. Local students' degrees are supported/subsidised by international student fees - if anything, wouldn't the British government either raise course fees for international students or increase the quota of full fee paying international students? Great revenue raiser afterall...

And I thought the rises weren't to occur until 2012?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the economic rationale for limiting international students. Local students' degrees are supported/subsidised by international student fees - if anything, wouldn't the British government either raise course fees for international students or increase the quota of full fee paying international students? Great revenue raiser afterall...

Yep! The proposal will apply to students starting in 2012. Damn, if they increase the fees, then I don't think Ill be able to afford it!
    Btw, do the international students have to pay the same fees throughout their course or the fees increases every year for them? For instance, if I start in 2011, with a fees of, lets say 14000, will I pay the same fees in 2012 or my fees will increase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    Yep! The proposal will apply to students starting in 2012. Damn, if they increase the fees, then I don't think Ill be able to afford it!
    Btw, do the international students have to pay the same fees throughout their course or the fees increases every year for them? For instance, if I start in 2011, with a fees of, lets say 14000, will I pay the same fees in 2012 or my fees will increase?
    They go up annually at least an inflation/CPI sort of rate, from what I can tell. You should be able to find out the history of rises for your degree on google without too much trouble. Not sure about specifics of undergraduate degrees - I'm applying as an international student to graduate courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If it mentions that tougher criteria are being imposed, i don't think i need to say again that that means international students will be reduced (use your brain). And if you look at the site well instead of barely scratching the surface you will get almost everything you need.

ReputationRep:
    For others confused, the best thing will be to consult with your school about fee increase which usually take place yearly and part of the reason international students are being limited is because there are just too many immigrants in the uk and students make up for a large part of it.

ReputationRep:
    If it mentions that tougher criteria are being imposed, i don't think i need to say again that that means international students will be reduced (use your brain). And if you look at the site well instead of barely scratching the surface you will get almost everything you need.

For others confused, the best thing will be to consult with your school about fee increase which usually take place yearly and part of the reason international students are being limited is because there are just too many immigrants in the uk and students make up for a large part of it.
    I don't think you really have a handle on the issues here yourself. Universities will not be shooting themselves in the foot by limiting one of their major sources of revenue. If anything, full fee paying international places will go up.

On your other point, the government is quite likely to strengthen visa rules to prevent as many international students living/working in the UK after their degree, but not restrict their enrollment.

ReputationRep:
    You are a buffoon. The government will not cut any international places. They just don't want bogus "language" students coming or people overstaying their welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you really have a handle on the issues here yourself. Universities will not be shooting themselves in the foot by limiting one of their major sources of revenue. If anything, full fee paying international places will go up.

On your other point, the government is quite likely to strengthen visa rules to prevent as many international students living/working in the UK after their degree, but not restrict their enrollment.
    David Cameron said while in china that international fees may finally be stabilised or even reduced due to the increase in the home students own. Some other important people think it will rise because schools may not be getting enough funds, etc. The best thing will be to check with your university. Thank you.

ReputationRep:

You are wrong. They are subsidized by the government. International students pay the full fees of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilustrius)
    You are wrong. They are subsidized by the government. International students pay the full fees of the course.
    I'm glad you revived a four month old thread to tell me that. International students paying the full fees of the course assists in keeping fees down for local students.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you revived a four month old thread to tell me that. International students paying the full fees of the course assists in keeping fees down for local students.
    No. Government subsidies keep home fees low. International fees are not used to offset home fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilustrius)
    No. Government subsidies keep home fees low. International fees are not used to offset home fees.
    Are you just arguing to get your post count up?

Both sources of revenue assist in keeping local fees down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.