Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okaay. so I have decided to take Maths HL in IB. However i know for sure that i could never get more than a level 5.
    So which is best. to get a 7 in standard level or get a 4 in HL?

if you were a good university, which one would you prefer a student to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thays)
    Okaay. so I have decided to take Maths HL in IB. However i know for sure that i could never get more than a level 5.

If HL is irrelevant for your course of study at university, then a 7 at Math SL sounds more impressive and contributes more to your overall score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thays)

Don't underestimate SL. A 7 in SL, though obviously easier than in HL, will still need a lot of work and practice (those that got 7's in my year last year practised more maths SL than some of their HL subjects). Don't assume you'll just get a 7.

That being said, what makes you so sure that you'll get no more than a 5 in HL if you seem so confident about a 7 in SL :confused:

Either way, if you do a subject remotely related to maths (even management at some unis), HL will instantly look much better than SL. If you want to do a humanity or a language or something though, it won't make a difference and you probably should take SL.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah SL is hard as well, massive jump from GCSE. It seems to really come down to how much work you put in, In our school there are only about 40 of the whole year who do higher or standard math (rest are studies). Even people who get A* struggle with standard sometimes and the people in our school who will get the better grades are the Germans, Italians and other Europeans because most are way ahead of us here in England. I don't think anyone in our year is expecting a 7 in SL but if you are considering applying to Oxbridge etc and don't need maths as such then do the sensible thing and don't do HL (1st year degree level). No offense meant but I'm just saying alot of people walked in to SL maths last year with high expectations and many of those were gone by Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    IB Maths HL is definitely very tough.Its said to have one of the toughest High School syllabus.
    But if you like maths then its okay to take it.
    But if you dont like maths then i recommend you take SL or maybe Studies.
    In HL we have to do 4 portfolios and they are very hectic.

ReputationRep:
    STUDIES

But seriously, the brightest mathematicians in my school are doing SL. (the only ones doing HL are the Asian students who have to do it to apply where they live)

A 7 would be much better than a 5 in any case - it contributes to your overall score and just looks more impressive.

(unless you're applying for a maths course?)

ReputationRep:
    Maths SL is easy as ****. The questions are all the same. Get the questionbank somewhere on the Internet, complete the given textbook and pay attention to the criteria for the portfolios and you are all good!
    I recommend this, although try to take Maths HL if you can.

ReputationRep:
    I did my IB in 2009 and did Maths HL, mainly because I wanted to do Economics at university, and because I had breezed through GCSE Maths. However Maths HL is a massive step up. You finish what people do in A Levels after about one year. I ended up only getting a 5 at HL, and most universities want a 6, so in some ways I think it would have made more sense to maybe get a 6/7 in SL Maths and gone for a different Higher. My suggestion would be only do it if you need it for uni, especially if you think you cant get past a 5.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.