Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting IB beginning with January next year, and so far the subject combination I had settled on was:
    HL - Physics, Maths, Computer Science
    SL - Econs, English, Spanish

Now it seems that my school will not let me take Maths HL as my final year results were a bit low.
    So now my questions are:
    Do you need MAths HL for engineering courses? Is it a requirement?
    Can you take C.S HL without Maths HL? The IBO website says it should be taken with 'a maths subject', but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    For engineering courses you should definitely take Math HL, especially for the UK. Of course you can take Computer Science HL without having to take Math HL.

Try to pursue your teacher/IB coordinator into letting you take Math HL, because it starts simple, so your past performance in mathematics is not that relevant. Just remember that if you want to do well in the subject you need to dedicate much time for it. Math HL is widely considered as one of, if not the hardest HL subject.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrishi)
    Now it seems that my school will not let me take Maths HL as my final year results were a bit low.
    If they do not want to allow you, why not at first taking Math SL and perhaps Econ at HL, and then, if you cope well with SL Math, you might transfer to HL and drop Economics (the difference between HL and SL Economics is not that big, especially in the beginning). This is of course applicable only if your school allows you to change subjects after some time, especially when it come to "upgrading" from SL to HL.

ReputationRep:
    yup you will need Math HL for engineering courses... it depends on which engineering course your thinking of? chemistry requires physics (SL though) but economics and prolly not and maybe doesn't even need math HL.. Check on the uni websites and specify what egineering ur thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metjush)
    If they do not want to allow you, why not at first taking Math SL and perhaps Econ at HL, and then, if you cope well with SL Math, you might transfer to HL and drop Economics (the difference between HL and SL Economics is not that big, especially in the beginning). This is of course applicable only if your school allows you to change subjects after some time, especially when it come to "upgrading" from SL to HL.
    as I have said on other threads, IBO is changing the syllabus for economics starting next year, so there will be a divergence on the difference between HL and SL Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.