Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the reaction mechanism or how the Iron(III) inhibits the reaction between sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid?:confused: pretty please

ReputationRep:
    probably because Fe(III) oxidises thiosulphate

2Fe^{3+}  +  2S_2O_3^{2-} \rightarrow  2Fe^{2+}  +  S_4O_6^{2-}

ReputationRep:
    thank you !!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    so does that mean it's a stronger oxidising agent than ermm is it hydrogen ions that oxidise S2O3 to S ??

Na2S2O3 (aq) + 2HCl (aq) -> SO2(aq) + S(s) + H2O(l) + 2NaCl (aq)

ReputationRep:
    H+ ions reduce things, not oxidize them.

ReputationRep:
    true, so S gets reduced during reaction between thio and acid , so it is nothing to do with the oxidising strength of Fe (III), it's just the fact that it oxidises S2O3 so there is less of it to get reduced to solid sulfur ?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite, the Fe(III) removes the thiosulphate so it can't react. Spot on. But it's not being reduced by the acid.

(Wilsea05), H+ is an oxidising agent, rather than a reducing agent (as it removes electrons from things). The reaction of thiosulphate with HCl is an oxidation.

ReputationRep:
    arghhh wish I was a chemistry genius like you are :P so let's get this straight: is Fe a stronger oxidising agent in the end and therefore removes thio before it can get oxidised by H+ to form solid sulfur?
    I can't find any theory on reaction mechanism for thiosulfate and acid so it's a bit confusing...
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Not quite, the Fe(III) removes the thiosulphate so it can't react. Spot on. But it's not being reduced by the acid.

(Wilsea05), H+ is an oxidising agent, rather than a reducing agent (as it removes electrons from things). The reaction of thiosulphate with HCl is an oxidation.
    The reaction of thiosulphate ions with acid is both oxidation and reduction - i.e. disproportionation.

Na2S2O3 (aq) + 2HCl (aq) -> SO2(aq) + S(s) + H2O(l) + 2NaCl (aq)

The hydrogen ions are a 'catalyst' in the redox process (not really, because they react with one of the products):

S2O32- --> S + SO32-

Which effectively get pulled to the RHS by the acid reacting with the sulphate (IV) ions formed in the disproportionation.

SO32- + 2H+ --> H2O(l) + SO2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b3mine)
    arghhh wish I was a chemistry genius like you are
    erm.. thanks, but I think charco has just demonstrated that I am not a chemistry genius

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.