Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So basically I've gotten skinnier and more shapeless since I started Uni, but now I'm just settling back into eating properly, as I want curves back! However, I obviously want to tone up as I'm doing it - I don't want to get all flabby and put weight on in the wrong places (and yes, you can put weight on in the wrong places. Ever since I've been less active I've put on weight on my stomach but before I was putting it on on my thighs and arms). I've bought Kim Kardashians work out DVDs and 2 x 2kg dumbells. Do you think these would be suitable for basic toning up exercises? Should I go a size bigger? I'm a total beginner though, so I think I should start small.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    Hi everyone,

So basically I've gotten skinnier and more shapeless since I started Uni, but now I'm just settling back into eating properly, as I want curves back! However, I obviously want to tone up as I'm doing it - I don't want to get all flabby and put weight on in the wrong places (and yes, you can put weight on in the wrong places. Ever since I've been less active I've put on weight on my stomach but before I was putting it on on my thighs and arms). I've bought Kim Kardashians work out DVDs and 2 x 2kg dumbells. Do you think these would be suitable for basic toning up exercises? Should I go a size bigger? I'm a total beginner though, so I think I should start small.

Thanks!
    lol no, those fitness dvd's can make a decent cardio session but thats about it. Also get out of the myth of toning and understand that whilst fat can be gained in the wrong places doesnt mean it can be taken selectively from the right places. Unless you're quite weak I am not entirely sure 2kg will be effective. I suggest opting for 5-7kg and finding a simple full body routine which incorporate the dumbells only. Do this alongside the workout dvd

ReputationRep:
    Yes definatley too light! I was ridiculously weak when I started with weights and I started with 3 or 4kg depending on what exercise I was doing. I'd get a pair of 4kg dumbells and do the dvd after some weights exercises such as squats, presses, lunges etc.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you use the dumbells for. If you try curls, yeah, they are going to be too light, but if you go for stuff like seated power cleans, lateral raises or maybe military press they may be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!
    I don't want to sound harsh, but just because you've female doesn't mean that you have to faff around with little barbie weights.

Get onto proper weights such as compound lifts (squats/ deadlifts etc.) and you're far more likely to see the results you're after, and no you won't turn into some hench beast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    seated power cleans, lateral raises or maybe military press they may be fine.
    Seated power cleans? Since the purpose of a power clean is to develop explosive force and hip drive doing them seated is nuch like a broekn pencil - pointless!

And I don't think I know anyone who can curl more than they can Military press

ReputationRep:
    It's one of Joe DeFranco's moves.

Doesn't look very healthy to me though..

(Original post by MattGriff)
    Seated power cleans? Since the purpose of a power clean is to develop explosive force and hip drive doing them seated is nuch like a broekn pencil - pointless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)

Seated power cleans - give them ago before slating them. They are very good for shoulders, delts etc. It's suggested by DeFranco who seems to certainly know what he's on about.
    As for military press - really? It's delt, serratus & trap based, not biceps....hence why I suggested her light weights would be good for it but not curls as traps are usually far weaker than biceps (I've found from experience).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Seated power cleans - give them ago before slating them. They are very good for shoulders, delts etc.
    There are plenty of equal, if not better, exercises which hit the deltoids (eg; overhead pressing)

It's suggested by DeFranco who seems to certainly know what he's on about.
    It depends on the context but given that the OP is a beginner she's be better off focusing on the core movements.

As for military press - really? It's delt, serratus & trap based, not biceps....hence why I suggested her light weights would be good for it but not curls as traps are usually far weaker than biceps (I've found from experience).
    Unless you're a curl monkey your traps and deltoids should be significantly stronger than your biceps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    There are plenty of equal, if not better, exercises which hit the deltoids (eg; overhead pressing)

It depends on the context but given that the OP is a beginner she's be better off focusing on the core movements.

Unless you're a curl monkey your traps and deltoids should be significantly stronger than your biceps.
    But overhead press will need heavier than 2kg dumbells....
    WS4SB is a good start for beginners so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    But overhead press will need heavier than 2kg dumbells....
    Frankly she's going to achieve little (if anything) with a pair of 2kg dumbbells period. If she wants to make some serious progress she's got to thing about getting some adjustable dumbbells which go up to a much higher weight and/or join a gym.

WS4SB is a good start for beginners so...
    It's not bad for novice athletes but the OP is not an athlete and doing seated powercleans with 2kg dumbbells does not equal WS4SB.

ReputationRep:
    You need adjustable ones which you can add more weight to as using the same ones won't do much month after month, start with like 4-5 kg, get yourself an olympic bar too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    It's one of Joe DeFranco's moves.

Doesn't look very healthy to me though..
    Looks more like a rotor cuff excercise than anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Seated power cleans - give them ago before slating them. They are very good for shoulders, delts etc. It's suggested by DeFranco who seems to certainly know what he's on about.
    Thanks, but no i'll pass. I don't care who suggested it, doesn't make it right.

WTF are you on about? your expereince is homo then! I can shrug 380kg + and I sure as hell can't curl even quater of that.

To suggest a small muscle such as the bicep is stronger than the rather large trapezius is comical

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.