Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Heart Murmurs Serious? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey does anyone know much about heart murmurs. i was diagnosed with a heart murmur 2years ago when i was 17. the doctors said it wasn't serious back then but they still wanted me to go into hospital once in a while for a check up. i have not been for a check-up for about a year now but recently i feel a lot of pains in my chest, and very run down all of a sudden. would it be best for me to go back to the hospital and get checked over? and what would that include? ps. can heart murmurs be fatal? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know much about heart murmurs?

2 years ago When I was 17 I had a check-up at hospital after rashes appeared on my arms. it turned out the rashes were nothing serious but the doctors had detected a heart murmur. the doctor told me to get checked out every few months at the hospital. i had about 2 check-ups and each one showed nothing serious.I have not been for a check-up now for about 1year but in the last few weeks i have been having some really bad pain in my chest and I am always worn out and tired. I have not told any-one yet as i dont want no-one to panik. but i feel i may need to go back to hospital to get checked over. what happens if its do to with the heart murmur and i dont get checked out? and how serious can it get? thanks

ReputationRep:
    My sister has one and she's fine. She dances for 5 hours on a Saturday, plays hockey and netball and does all sort of things.

She has to have a check-up on it every year but apart from that you can't tell.

But yes, get yourself up to the doctors quick sharp!

ReputationRep:
    I had one when I was a teenager, I had tests after but everything came back fine. Its never been mentioned by my GP since then so I assume it's gone.

If you are feeling unwell then you need to see your GP. It might not be related to your murmur, but get checked out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    Hey does anyone know much about heart murmurs?

2 years ago When I was 17 I had a check-up at hospital after rashes appeared on my arms. it turned out the rashes were nothing serious but the doctors had detected a heart murmur. the doctor told me to get checked out every few months at the hospital. i had about 2 check-ups and each one showed nothing serious.I have not been for a check-up now for about 1year but in the last few weeks i have been having some really bad pain in my chest and I am always worn out and tired. I have not told any-one yet as i dont want no-one to panik. but i feel i may need to go back to hospital to get checked over. what happens if its do to with the heart murmur and i dont get checked out? and how serious can it get? thanks
    panic*

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you can live your whole life with one. Get an ECG or something to check that the structure of your heart is fine. If everything's fine structure wise then you can live your life with it fine. I've got one... apparently you can hear it really obviously when you listen to my heart so there you go.

ReputationRep:
    I had a murmer as a child and had to have a heart scan every other year. When I was about 12/13 they basically said I didn't need any more check-up's because the murmer was really insignificant. Now within the past year 2 doctors have said they can't even hear the murmer. It's really important for you to keep going to your check up until they say otherwise - they need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse. Kind of silly on your part not to have routine check ups if that's what they told you to do. Your symptoms could be nothing, but they could also have something to do with the murmer. Go and book and ECG or echo.

ReputationRep:
    mine also disappeared.... and if your having chest pains, and getting fatigued, GO TO THE DOCTOR Geesh

ReputationRep:
    A heart murmur is not a condition in itself, it is just something the doctor hears when they listen to your heart. It can happen for all sorts of reasons - many in young people are just innocent "flow murmurs" but they can indicate that there is a problem with one of the valves in your heart (plus some other rare as hens' teeth stuff). I'm not sure what the OP means by "check ups" but if you have had an echo (ultrasound of the heart) which didn't show any structural defect, that's very reassuring. If you're otherwise fit and well then it's likely to be nothing of concern, but since you are getting pains etc, go and see your GP first of all and they can arrange further tests if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I was diagnosed with a heart murmur when i was 15 during a routine pre-op test for an unrelated operation. I had an ultrasound done on my heart and they also said that it wasn't serious, so I haven't really thought about it much tbh!
    I don't know too much about heart murmurs, I don't think they are anything to worry about unless they're very serious, but your doctor would have been more concerned if it was. However, as always, if you're concerned it would be best to go to your GP and ask for an ultrasound!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.