Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum against me taking the Pill! Watch

Hi,
    I’m 18 years old & i have been having heavy period since they started (to the point where it made me very anaemic). I’ve been taking methanimic acid and other and although they have helped i still have to change my schedule around my periods i.e. change driving lessons, miss school, pray i have no exams of my worst day etc. I have been to my GP lots of times & they have recommended that i go on the pill. I’ve tried talking to my mum but she is completely against the idea (she’s African and therefore is very stubborn).
    I’m thinking of taking it behind her back - but i wouldn’t be comfortable hiding such a thing from her!

How else can I convince - btw my reason for taking it is only to reduce my period (not a contraception).

Thanks!

Also personal experiences would be great!

BUMP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I’m 18 years old & i have been having heavy period since they started (to the point where it made me very anaemic). I’ve been taking methanimic acid and other and although they have helped i still have to change my schedule around my periods i.e. change driving lessons, miss school, pray i have no exams of my worst day etc. I have been to my GP lots of times & they have recommended that i go on the pill. I’ve tried talking to my mum but she is completely against the idea (she’s African and therefore is very stubborn).
    I’m thinking of taking it behind her back - but i wouldn’t be comfortable hiding such a thing from her!

How else can I convince - btw my reason for taking it is only to reduce my period (not a contraception).

Thanks!

To be honest that is a really convincing argument if she is just against contraception lol. Alongside really bad periods? Yeah... I think that's the best argument you will get. It actually sounds pretty serious lol D:

I would just say take it behind her back... You're doing yourself a good thing if it's really disrupting your life and it's not actually going to harm anyone (lesser of two evils anyway). You could always take it behind her back for a while, and then try go off it after a few months to see if your periods have just naturally gotten better.

This site might have some additional/alternatives that you could try:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5669485_na...-bleeding.html

Good luck ><

ReputationRep:
    Don't suffer in pain just because your mum is stubborn. You're an adult and you can make an adult decision - it's none of her business whether you choose to go on the pill or not, and you certainly don't have to justify it to her. Your reasons for wanting to go on the pill are more than acceptable!

ReputationRep:
    If your doctor recommends it, you do not need a parent's permission to take it. Do it anyway, you're the one suffering so it's your decision.

ReputationRep:
    You could always try the injection or some other contraceptive method that stops your periods. For most people they stop on the injection and for some people on the impant. Mine stopped on Mirena, that's another alternative. And your mum wouldn't have to know.
    You don't need her permission anyway, if you want the pill then you're entitled to it.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My mother is also extremely against me taking the pill, and I'm nearly 27 years old haha. Nothing to do with me having sex, I have three children after all....
    it's because of all the chemicals in it. She thinks it must be doing my body a lot of harm. I have to say I agree with her tbh. I've only recently taken it for 3 months to try and regulate my body. I've never taken it before that. I'm not taking it now, and I don't intend to take it again.
    I have an implant in and it has totally screwed in my periods. I bleed non-stop. So taking the pill was to try and regulate that, but it didn't work.

So my mam has berated me on both a) having an implant, and b) taking the pill, because all those chemicals are screwing up my system.

She's entirely right, actually. I hate pumping my body full of chemicals like that. It really isn't doing me any good.

Sorry, this isn't exactly very helpful. If you really want the pill, just get it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks!

Tell her that your periods are disrupting your life, and that health professionals are recomending you do this.

I had really bad periods. They weren't heavy, but I'd get PMS (they think I had PMDD, it's where you get depression symptoms around the time of your period.), I'd scream, cry, throw things, feel hopeless etc. And then the pain was horrendous, I'd literally be doubled over on the floor screaming in agony. I'd also get sick, lethargic, headaches, and just generally feel s**t. There was nothing wrong with me, they were regular and not heavy, but the pain and psychological effects were devastating.

Luckily, the same thing used to happen to my mother, and she understood really well. I started taking the pill at 15 (she's the one who suggested it to me because she did the same thing) and it's really helped. I've tried three different types and I've found one that really suits me, and that I don't have any side effects to (Loestrin 30 if you're considering it). I don't get PMS anymore, except I can feel a bit more sensitive for one day (amazing considering I used to feel suicidal and depressed for two weeks), and my periods are practically non-existant. I get 'spotting' for about a day, that's it, and hardly any pain.

I can't recommend it enough, if I were you, I'd just take it.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You are 18 and you are old enough to make your own decisions - at the end of the day its your body not hers. I got the implant at 17 Im not sure my mom knew anything about it to this day, she knows now Im on the pill but at the age of 21 and having moved out I sure as hell don't care if she objects to it or not...

Hi,

Thanks!

The million woman study has shown that the contraceptive pill reduces your risk of dying.
      Because its not the chemicals in the pill you should be concerned about - its those in your own body.
      THe pill actually brings you back into more of a hormonal balance with what the human body should be.

ReputationRep:
      Take it, go behind her back. Your mum's being unreasonable IMO, hardly thinking about your health.

ReputationRep:
      Well, you could always get pregnant to prove a point...
      But in all seriousness, at 18, or at any age from 16+ it's your choice, not hers.

ReputationRep:
      It's just like taking any other type of medicine, except that one of the 'side effects' is contraception. Think of it that way!

Get your doctor to talk to your mum and make her see sense. I'm sure she'd rather her daughter was out of pain and discomfort (and also protected against pregnancy, even if just as a precaution) than having to suffer because of a ridiculous idea.

ReputationRep:
      Your mum is absolutely right.You should not go with any pills and all that.It may have very bad side effects of your health and your body may get addicted to these types of pills.So try to go naturally for any type of problem rather than taking these types of pills.

ReputationRep:
      Pls don't take it behind her back, because she is ur mother and she trusts u wiv all her heart and she wouldn't expect u to do that without her approval. Just beg her to accept ur usage or explain to her in more detail about the pills and why u need them. Convince her that ur periods are "extremely" unbearable and u need something to reduce the pain so therefore u have no other option than to use the pills, or ask her if she has got any other solution. But avoid making the mistake by using the pills without her consent.

(Original post by marker07)
      Your mum is absolutely right.You should not go with any pills and all that.It may have very bad side effects of your health and your body may get addicted to these types of pills.So try to go naturally for any type of problem rather than taking these types of pills.
      The pill is not damaging to your body at all. It actually has helped me in more ways than one. It helped control my minor acne problems, reduced embarrassing hair growth and regulated my period. The only problems I've ever heard of on the pill are blood clots in smokers and older women. For nonsmoking young adults, the pill is a great idea for regulating periods and contraceptive if you're sexually active.

ReputationRep:
      Please please please go to the doctor without her! I had the same problem as you, I was on mefenamic acid for a couple of years but after a while it stopped having any effect. Going on the pill had made things SO much better for me, I can't even describe it! I used to throw up every month, get the shakes/pins and needles all over my body, horrendous pain etc. as well as really heavy periods/clotting etc. (which made me anaemic like you said). I haven't thrown up once from it since I've been on the pill, or got the pins & needles, I still get cramps but not half as bad & my periods aren't as heavy anymore. Plus it makes life so much easier being able to control when your period will be!

ReputationRep:
      Try getting your dad to have sex with you and get you pregnant so that your mum wants you on the pill for contraceptive reasons, either that or shove a cork up your vagina and try anal?

ReputationRep:
      try anal worked for me

ReputationRep:
      Don't tell your mum. You're 18 now, you could have gone and got the pill years ago if you liked. Especially as you have medical reasons, and not just for contraception. My mum was heavily against me going on the pill even though I had trouble with my periods aswell. After a while I just went to the doc and they gave it to me, sorted. Eventually she found out and she was a bit annoyed for a while, but then she got over it. Especially as you're 18 you're technically an adult so you don't need her permission!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.