Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I am currently in the 3rd year of my degree which I want to complete however I have decided the industry is not for me as my views have changed.
    I now know that I want to be a teacher and I have tried to get onto a PGCE for primary teaching but not enough places.
    I have had 3 years tuition loan.
    If I were to take the mad route of doing another degree specifically for my choice would I still be able to get tuition fee loan or is this a fund your own after 3/4 years?

Thanks for anyone that replies.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nus.org.uk/en/student-lif...ow-on-courses/

I just looked that up, and I'm not entirely sure if its right or not... because the stuff on teacher training confuses me!

Try the PGCE next year? I wouldn't give up on it so early, many people go through the cycle a few times because of the competitive nature of Primary PGCEs.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can normally get 4 years of funding. So you may get funding for one year at uni for a new degree but the rest you'll have to pay for yourself.

Youre better off completing your degree, getting a job after graduating and reapplying. Getting some experience will only enhance your application.

ReputationRep:
    What's your original degree in and what do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    thanks

i am studying tourism business management but got made redundant in the summer and have gone totally off it. i have been doing part time work and vollunteering at a primary school to gain experience for a pgce but got turned down next year.
    I want to do a PGCE Primary course or restart doing Primary undergrad.

Does anyone know anything about being an unqualified teaching assistant?

ReputationRep:
    There's no point doing an undergraduate degree in primary school education, since you wouldn't learn a great deal more that's relevant than on the PGCE, but it'd be much more expensive (think £50k, since you'd have to pay the higher fees for those who already have an equivalent qualification).

Where did you apply for your PGCE? At a good range of places? What was your personal statement like (any errors etc.)? It might be best just to reapply next year, to as many courses as you can.

ReputationRep:
    no sorry its not 50k(i dont know where you got that from,lol ), its around the 3k mark and it does not make a difference what course you have done before. a PGCE is 1 year and gets qualified status but more work in 1 year.
    I got an interview so there is no issue with my statement but got declined after, i think it is 1 in 10 people that apply.

thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montuiiri)
    no sorry its not 50k(i dont know where you got that from,lol ), its around the 3k mark and it does not make a difference what course you have done before. a PGCE is 1 year and gets qualified status but more work in 1 year.
    I got an interview so there is no issue with my statement but got declined after, i think it is 1 in 10 people that apply.

thanks anyway
    I was talking about a full three-year degree, which you said you might do instead of the PGCE; to do that, after already having gained a degree, you'd pay over £10k/year just on fees. As you say, the PGCE is a much cheaper (and better) option though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.