Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to study Law at university and i am just finishing my UCAS application but im stuck on which five i should pick out of these... I'm really stuck as i expect a lot less to actually accept my Birkbeck University course as a form of entry in terms of the top uni, but after speaking to most i have had positive feedback...

Anyway my current choices are...

Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester and Nottingham

Lancaster (as they seem to be shooting up the tables recently)

Then obviously its always good to have an insurance which i've decided three to pick from.

Sunderland or Northumbria (Northumbria having just recently rebuilt a dedicated building for Law and Business), Brunel... Though i really want to leave London as i have been here all my life.

Anyway advice on what my final 5 should be greatly appreciated as i have to have my application in by 6PM tonight

Thanks

Mark

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't chose Lancaster simply because they have shot up the league tables recently. It is quite common to have fluctuations in league tables. For one university to experience a significant rise or fall in a year. But few maintain this rise. This isn't to say that Lancaster isn't worth considering as it certainly is its a good university and decent law school. Just be cautious about league tables.

Are you thinking about applying for the normal three year degree at Northumbria? Or the LPC/BVC exempting degree?

Out of those three (Sunderland, Northumbria and Brunel) I'd certainly chose Northumbria. As you say it does have impressive facilities and a relatively decent name for itself. Brunel is of a fairly comparable standard but if the thought of staying in (or around) London puts you off. Sunderland is the least competitive of the three so would be a safer insurance but, if you're a strong candidate, there are better. Plus Newcastle is a far, far better city :p:

What are your predicted grades and are you fairly confident that you'll achieve them?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply,

League tables are the bane of my life right now, they are inconsistent yearly and between themselves... I was shocked to see in the Guardian That Thames Valley was in the top 40 for law when it has to be one of the worst universities ever, i know loads of people who have gone there and not one person has said a good thing...

Well i am predicted a distinction and confident i will achieve this so thats not too much of an issue. Also hoping the fact im starting a voluntary post at the CAB as an advisor will strengthen my application as well.

So far i have got myself down to these choices...

Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester and Nottingham...

And im pretty much sold on Northumbria as an insurance though im wondering if i should just take a risk and throw Durham in there as a risky one as im confident of the other four?

P.S. Been out in Newcastle loads, absolutely mint city!!! Perdu, Tup Tup, Madame Koos??? Need i say more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWordStory)
    Thanks for the reply,

League tables are the bane of my life right now, they are inconsistent yearly and between themselves... I was shocked to see in the Guardian That Thames Valley was in the top 40 for law when it has to be one of the worst universities ever, i know loads of people who have gone there and not one person has said a good thing...

Well i am predicted a distinction and confident i will achieve this so thats not too much of an issue. Also hoping the fact im starting a voluntary post at the CAB as an advisor will strengthen my application as well.

So far i have got myself down to these choices...

Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester and Nottingham...

And im pretty much sold on Northumbria as an insurance though im wondering if i should just take a risk and throw Durham in there as a risky one as im confident of the other four?

P.S. Been out in Newcastle loads, absolutely mint city!!! Perdu, Tup Tup, Madame Koos??? Need i say more?
    Exactly why the Guardian is a terrible league table. For general positions, Times and Complete University Guide will give you the best info. Guardian ranks Robert Gordon and Thames Valley above Manchester.

Now as far as your picks, put Durham on your list if you can do well on the LNAT. So it would be Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Durham. Plus Northumbria as a nice little safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Exactly why the Guardian is a terrible league table. For general positions, Times and Complete University Guide will give you the best info. Guardian ranks Robert Gordon and Thames Valley above Manchester.

Now as far as your picks, put Durham on your list if you can do well on the LNAT. So it would be Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Durham. Plus Northumbria as a nice little safety.
    Robert Gordon?

Who is he?

ReputationRep:
    You say Manchester. Don't go to MMU whatever you do!. The university of Manchester is the best one around there.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham
    Newcastle
    Manchester
    Leicester
    Northumbria

Would be the choices I would make. Northumbria have a fantastic law school (I've debated there several times), and if I remember correctly they offer an exempting law degree, which means you can skip some professional exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Robert Gordon?

He's a jewish rockstar.

:headbang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigCh)
    Nottingham
    Newcastle
    Manchester
    Leicester
    Northumbria

Would be the choices I would make. Northumbria have a fantastic law school (I've debated there several times), and if I remember correctly they offer an exempting law degree, which means you can skip some professional exams.
    Northumbria markets itself well for an ABB uni. It allows you to take the LPC as an extension to the degree. Its an even better pick if you know you want to practice in the North East. You can basically get a Masters, LLB, and the LPC out of the way...plus placement in a clinic to get you started on some of the training requirements---all within 5 yrs. Not bad, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Hi and yeah Newcastle recently was ranked 4th, 8th and 11th!
    Northumbria like what others have stated is very good for what it offers
    Sunderland is good and is jumping ten each year BUT you should go for preferably a uni with a well known indisputable fantastic reputation LOL
    I have applied to every uni in the northeast-I am waiting for Durham-done the LNAT-Questions were hard-essay good And waiting for Sunderland
    Got an offer from Newcastle AAA-and considering I got BBC AS personal statement/reference very important and other factors-like a law teacher that didn't know whether he was coming or going (like mine!!) or illness-I originally tok 5 AS but dropped chem and bio what a load of ..... lol.
    So Durham should be a good one, newcastle, northumbria!!!

ReputationRep:
    Robert Gordon?

Who is he?
    17th century Scottish philanthropist who founded a college in Aberdeen which is now the "go to" place if you want to work on an oil rig.

ReputationRep:
    Northumbria is excellent as a back-up! As a student at Northumbria I can tell you that they would almost certainly give you an offer as your grades are obviously good and you are involved in the CAB (they like pro-bono work). The facilities really are great, as well as the teaching!

ReputationRep:
    Robert Gordon?

Who is he?
    Off topic but what was the English Lit A level exam board you 100%!?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    Off topic but what was the English Lit A level exam board you 100%!?
    Cheers
    It was AQA, WW1 Literature.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.