Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New id studios makeover and photoshoot? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to o2 surprises I have won a free professional makeover and photoshoot at New id studios in B'ham I have never done anything like this before and I've never really learnt what to do with make-up lol.

I've just been reading the thread on here about Double Take photoshoots which has got me a bit worried, about how pushy they are about selling photos Is New id studios basically the same?

Anyone been to one or got any tips? The photoshoot is just for me but i'd like to take my bf or sister with me lol for moral support

ReputationRep:
    Just found your question, dont worry New ID are great, I didnt get any hard sell at all, they were all really freindly, I just put this review on another page but will put it in here for you to have a read of, if you have not been already, its quite an old post!
    I had a really fantastic time when I had a makeover with New ID. I got there late, and they were really good about it, took my coat as soon as I got in, then I was offered a drink of either Bucks Fizz or Champagne, it was a bit early in the day for me to start drinking so I had a cup of tea instead.
    I had to wait about ten minutes for my consultation, the woman was really nice and told me all about the day and how it was going to work out and then asked me how I wanted to look and if I had any ideas for styles and things like that, she showed me some books to get some ideas and then, and I was pretty impressed with this, made sure there was nothing I really wanted to avoid and nothing I had any allergy to so that was pretty cool;
    I had my nails polished, it was not a manicure as such but the colour was really pretty. Then after that I had to wait about fifteen minutes before having my hair washed and conditioned, cut and styled, colour was not included in my package. The cut was really nice and suited my face and was different enough to notice but not so dramatic that I didn’t recognize myself which is sort of what I wanted.
    There was not wait at all between that and having my make up done, which I really did enjoy and wanted them to make me look totally different, which they did and I was really impressed, I couldn’t believe how good it looked.
    I only took along 2 outfits for the photos, I wish that I had taken a long more now because it was really good fun but I was very happy with the clothes that I did take.
    The photographer was mega friendly and made the whole shoot really good fun and it was very easy to follow what he was trying to get me to do.
    Then came the boring bit, 45 minute for the pictures to come back but it was well worth it, they were awesome. I wish I could have afforded more of them but they are pretty expensive, I think if I go again I would use the role over deal where you pay up front and then they put in what you do, but I was not sure how much I was going to like the pictures, I really wish I had done it now!
    I am happy to recommend New ID it’s a great place and I really enjoyed the experience

ReputationRep:
    I went on one of those photoshoot things last year but it was at Studio London not ID. It was alright, ended up buying some £400 for 12 photos :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah New ID are great, they do your make up. Aren't too pushy but very persuasive. I do regret the amount of money I spent there.

ReputationRep:
    I've been twice now
    Both for friends birthdays, and for both they were really nice.
    Take loads of outfits, and HAGGLE for the prices of your pictures. A CD with one picture was s'posed to be £50 or something ridiculous, but we got 4 pictures on it for £25.
    Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest leaving your card at home and only taking cash with you so that they can't persuade you to part with more than you can afford.

ReputationRep:
    My housemates and I have a make over and photoshoot with New ID in London next Friday! I'll let you know what it was like.

ReputationRep:
    My friend went to Double take and she had a really bad time there, they basically tried to get her to hand over the numbers of her friends to get free drinks and extra goodies and she felt really intimidated by it so there was no way I was going to go there when I decided it was time for a makeover.
    I had a look at a few review sites and found some really good feedback so I decided to give them a go and they were really good, I was really pleased that I chose them for a couple of reasons. One being that they have some really good last minute deals on their website which means you can get makeovers at half price and also if you deposit the money you intend to spend they will match what ever you put in so you are effectively getting the pictures for half price too so this now makes what could be deemed as a bit of an unaffordable experience into a very affordable one.
    I loved the staff at New ID and I am really pleased to report that they are not at all pushy, they do show you the cosmetic products and encourage you to buy them but I I have to be honest they are really good quality and pretty much sell themselves anyway. They also do give you lots of options to get you to buy more pictures but there is nothing in the least bit pushy or over the top about it and when I explained to them that I am a student and on limited funds they were totally understanding and were friendly and polite.
    I have no hesitation in recommending New ID they get my big thumbs up and I would be happy to go again and send friends, a New ID voucher is a great gift idea.

ReputationRep:
    My friend, who recommended that I use New ID for my makeover last year told me that this post was on here and I just wanted to confirm that New ID are a great company, the staff are really nice and really make the experience a lot of fun, it is a great thing to do anyway but having happy bubbly staff who have a bit of fun with you is great, they are still like totally professional but they do make it really good fun as well.
    What I really liked was that you can pretty much choose what you want to look like, they just let you stay in the driving seat, that is important to me because I once had a proper nightmare with a hairdresser that just wanted to scalp me no matter how much I protested, there is nothing worse than hair stylists or makeup artists for that mater that have no interest in how you want to look and just want to go about giving you their idea of a good look that could be a billion miles away from what you wanted.
    Anyway, moving on, the photo session here is great, the pictures are great and they are well worth the money and I did not get any hassle of anybody to make me buy more than I could afford, or more than I wanted. I think you just need to be honest about what you have to spend and stick to it.
    I had a great time and am very happy to recommend it

ReputationRep:
    Not suspicious at all that the really positive reviews are new members with 1 or 2 posts...:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I had a shoot with New ID last year, my mum bought it as a present and I didn't get round to redeeming it until after i'd started modelling as a career, but I went anyways with a view to getting some more happy smiley photos for relatives than what I usually get in my portfolio, and using the time in front of the camera to improve.

The service itself was good, if a little disorganised. The staff were friendly and the hairdresser was GREAT. I asked for quite a complex up-do and he managed it perfectly. The makeup was good, if a little too shimmery for my liking. The MUA didn't give me the option of false lashes or not, she just whacked them on anyways, but that didn't really bother me because i'm used to them.

I didn't think the photos turned out that great (I went to Newcastle and was in quite a small studio space - and thats from me that's shot in lots of confined spaces!), the photographer couldn't really direct me very well (i dont think her english was great) so if she couldn't direct me who knew what I was doing, I don't know how she coped with total newbies! She could barely focus the camera properly and really struggled to get the lighting right to the point I was adjusting some (quite dated) flashboxes for her. This is probably stuff you'd not really notice unless you'd studied photography or had modelling experience, but it showed up in the photos where the point of focus was my chandalier earring or shoulder strap of my dress, not anything else.

That being said, they didn't hard sell me at all. I did push the fact I was a model already so didn't need the shots for my portfolio, so got my free one and then haggled for a second (and to get my false lashes free because the MUA hadn't asked if i'd wanted them or not). In total i think i only spent £20, when adding the 2nd photo to my total should have been about £70, lashes £10. I also got both photos on CD so i could print them off for various long-distance relatives.

Would I go again? No, probably not. But there's nothing to stop it being a fun day (and inexpensive if you stick to your guns and only take cash) for other people who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to have some professional pics taken. All in all though, I would more recommend scoping out a local photographer and booking them instead, you feel less like "just another customer" - a lot of them offer makeover packages or know hair stylists and MUAs they can bring in and the photos work out cheaper and better quality.

ReputationRep:
    I totally rate New ID it is a right laugh, me and a friend went and we took like tons of accessories this is the way to make it really cool, we took hats and scarves and sun glasses and loads of silly things like pom poms and face masks. I am sure that if you are parents and children you would have a totally different time having like family portraits done and stuff and it would be a lot more serious but for us it was a complete crack and we got some really awesome pictures.
    The best way to do this is to go to their last minute offers page, you can get really cheap makeovers or if you look on there now they are doing them for only five pounds anyway, then have a hunt about the website because they don’t make it that obvious but a lot of the time they do a double your money roll over deal that makes it a lot more affordable as well because it is not at all cheap for the picture but if you use this and stick to the smaller prints then you can get quite a few.
    The staff are awesome and a really good crack, you don’t get any free food but you do get free drinks, sparkling wine and the likes oh and Bucks Fizz.
    We had a great time and the makeup woman was really good we must have asked her a million questions about the makeup and she was more than happy to answer all of them, great time, great makeover, great fun.

ReputationRep:
    Another new member posting about New ID. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    I loved my Deluxe makeover with New ID, it cost fifty pounds and included the following
    • Voucher comes with Shimmer Gift Box
    • Welcome & Consultation
    • Professional Make-up Application
    • Professional Haircut
    • Blow-dry and Finish
    • Professional Photoshoot
    • Private Viewing Session
    • Complimentary 12x8 Branded Print
    • Complimentary Drinks Available Throughout
    The drinks was Bucks Fizz and it was pretty good the free picture you have to pay postage for so it is not exactly free and it has a logo on it but I have to say being a fairly enthusiastic amateur photographer myself and having some idea of what is what the quality of the photos is superb.
    I would suggest that you don’t take a credit card a long with you because the pictures are really good and it would be very easy to get seduced into buying a lot more of them than you want. I am a mature student, currently on a gap year, I had my shoot before I left and it was great but as I was coming away I only wanted one picture for me and one for my nan, being a bit older I felt confident enough to tell them to allow me to buy only what I wanted so if you can do that then go for it, this is one of the best experiences I have had.

ReputationRep:
    The reasons why I like, would use again and am happy to recommend New ID make over and photographic studios.

1. The website. I like the New ID website because its easy to use, it has all of the information you need
    2. I went to the branch in Birmingham. Its easy to find, close to the town centre and convenient for the train.
    3. Staff, I was really impressed with the staff who were all welcoming and friendly

4. Drinks were in abundance and I was always asked and never had to ask
    5. The quality of the hair and make up, both were outstanding
    6. Photographer and studio, the photographer was friendly, personable and talented. I was impressed with the use of space, props, backgrounds and artistic content of the shots.
    7. The photos, very impressed with the quality and choice of images.

The only slight downsides
    1. There is a bit of waiting around between treatments.
    2. The photographs are quite pricey even with the role over deal

In summary
    I think New ID are an excellent company to use for a makeover the staff really make the experience special, the quality of the pictures is outstanding and I would more than happily use them again and feel very confident in recommending them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaBaFiCo)
    Another new member posting about New ID. Haha!
    Yep, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to find this quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talktotheworld)
    Just found your question, dont worry New ID are great, I didnt get any hard sell at all, they were all really freindly, I just put this review on another page but will put it in here for you to have a read of, if you have not been already, its quite an old post!
    I had a really fantastic time when I had a makeover with New ID. I got there late, and they were really good about it, took my coat as soon as I got in, then I was offered a drink of either Bucks Fizz or Champagne, it was a bit early in the day for me to start drinking so I had a cup of tea instead.
    I had to wait about ten minutes for my consultation, the woman was really nice and told me all about the day and how it was going to work out and then asked me how I wanted to look and if I had any ideas for styles and things like that, she showed me some books to get some ideas and then, and I was pretty impressed with this, made sure there was nothing I really wanted to avoid and nothing I had any allergy to so that was pretty cool;
    I had my nails polished, it was not a manicure as such but the colour was really pretty. Then after that I had to wait about fifteen minutes before having my hair washed and conditioned, cut and styled, colour was not included in my package. The cut was really nice and suited my face and was different enough to notice but not so dramatic that I didn’t recognize myself which is sort of what I wanted.
    There was not wait at all between that and having my make up done, which I really did enjoy and wanted them to make me look totally different, which they did and I was really impressed, I couldn’t believe how good it looked.
    I only took along 2 outfits for the photos, I wish that I had taken a long more now because it was really good fun but I was very happy with the clothes that I did take.
    The photographer was mega friendly and made the whole shoot really good fun and it was very easy to follow what he was trying to get me to do.
    Then came the boring bit, 45 minute for the pictures to come back but it was well worth it, they were awesome. I wish I could have afforded more of them but they are pretty expensive, I think if I go again I would use the role over deal where you pay up front and then they put in what you do, but I was not sure how much I was going to like the pictures, I really wish I had done it now!
    I am happy to recommend New ID it’s a great place and I really enjoyed the experience

(Original post by winkmaster)
    My friend went to Double take and she had a really bad time there, they basically tried to get her to hand over the numbers of her friends to get free drinks and extra goodies and she felt really intimidated by it so there was no way I was going to go there when I decided it was time for a makeover.
    I had a look at a few review sites and found some really good feedback so I decided to give them a go and they were really good, I was really pleased that I chose them for a couple of reasons. One being that they have some really good last minute deals on their website which means you can get makeovers at half price and also if you deposit the money you intend to spend they will match what ever you put in so you are effectively getting the pictures for half price too so this now makes what could be deemed as a bit of an unaffordable experience into a very affordable one.
    I loved the staff at New ID and I am really pleased to report that they are not at all pushy, they do show you the cosmetic products and encourage you to buy them but I I have to be honest they are really good quality and pretty much sell themselves anyway. They also do give you lots of options to get you to buy more pictures but there is nothing in the least bit pushy or over the top about it and when I explained to them that I am a student and on limited funds they were totally understanding and were friendly and polite.
    I have no hesitation in recommending New ID they get my big thumbs up and I would be happy to go again and send friends, a New ID voucher is a great gift idea.

(Original post by junglejuice)
    My friend, who recommended that I use New ID for my makeover last year told me that this post was on here and I just wanted to confirm that New ID are a great company, the staff are really nice and really make the experience a lot of fun, it is a great thing to do anyway but having happy bubbly staff who have a bit of fun with you is great, they are still like totally professional but they do make it really good fun as well.
    What I really liked was that you can pretty much choose what you want to look like, they just let you stay in the driving seat, that is important to me because I once had a proper nightmare with a hairdresser that just wanted to scalp me no matter how much I protested, there is nothing worse than hair stylists or makeup artists for that mater that have no interest in how you want to look and just want to go about giving you their idea of a good look that could be a billion miles away from what you wanted.
    Anyway, moving on, the photo session here is great, the pictures are great and they are well worth the money and I did not get any hassle of anybody to make me buy more than I could afford, or more than I wanted. I think you just need to be honest about what you have to spend and stick to it.
    I had a great time and am very happy to recommend it

(Original post by blunderfulday)
    I totally rate New ID it is a right laugh, me and a friend went and we took like tons of accessories this is the way to make it really cool, we took hats and scarves and sun glasses and loads of silly things like pom poms and face masks. I am sure that if you are parents and children you would have a totally different time having like family portraits done and stuff and it would be a lot more serious but for us it was a complete crack and we got some really awesome pictures.
    The best way to do this is to go to their last minute offers page, you can get really cheap makeovers or if you look on there now they are doing them for only five pounds anyway, then have a hunt about the website because they don’t make it that obvious but a lot of the time they do a double your money roll over deal that makes it a lot more affordable as well because it is not at all cheap for the picture but if you use this and stick to the smaller prints then you can get quite a few.
    The staff are awesome and a really good crack, you don’t get any free food but you do get free drinks, sparkling wine and the likes oh and Bucks Fizz.
    We had a great time and the makeup woman was really good we must have asked her a million questions about the makeup and she was more than happy to answer all of them, great time, great makeover, great fun.

(Original post by aawanderlust)
    I loved my Deluxe makeover with New ID, it cost fifty pounds and included the following
    • Voucher comes with Shimmer Gift Box
    • Welcome & Consultation
    • Professional Make-up Application
    • Professional Haircut
    • Blow-dry and Finish
    • Professional Photoshoot
    • Private Viewing Session
    • Complimentary 12x8 Branded Print
    • Complimentary Drinks Available Throughout
    The drinks was Bucks Fizz and it was pretty good the free picture you have to pay postage for so it is not exactly free and it has a logo on it but I have to say being a fairly enthusiastic amateur photographer myself and having some idea of what is what the quality of the photos is superb.
    I would suggest that you don’t take a credit card a long with you because the pictures are really good and it would be very easy to get seduced into buying a lot more of them than you want. I am a mature student, currently on a gap year, I had my shoot before I left and it was great but as I was coming away I only wanted one picture for me and one for my nan, being a bit older I felt confident enough to tell them to allow me to buy only what I wanted so if you can do that then go for it, this is one of the best experiences I have had.

(Original post by allforthegood)
    The reasons why I like, would use again and am happy to recommend New ID make over and photographic studios.

1. The website. I like the New ID website because its easy to use, it has all of the information you need
    2. I went to the branch in Birmingham. Its easy to find, close to the town centre and convenient for the train.
    3. Staff, I was really impressed with the staff who were all welcoming and friendly

4. Drinks were in abundance and I was always asked and never had to ask
    5. The quality of the hair and make up, both were outstanding
    6. Photographer and studio, the photographer was friendly, personable and talented. I was impressed with the use of space, props, backgrounds and artistic content of the shots.
    7. The photos, very impressed with the quality and choice of images.

The only slight downsides
    1. There is a bit of waiting around between treatments.
    2. The photographs are quite pricey even with the role over deal

In summary
    I think New ID are an excellent company to use for a makeover the staff really make the experience special, the quality of the pictures is outstanding and I would more than happily use them again and feel very confident in recommending them
    You lot all just happened to join on the day you made your one/ two (related) posts?

Right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    You lot all just happened to join on the day you made your one/ two (related) posts?

Right.
    How did they find the thread so fast eh? Google ninjas!

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    How did they find the thread so fast eh? Google ninjas!

:rofl:
    I did wonder! Must have nothing better to do

ReputationRep:
    I have come to the conclusion that ID studios must be pretty crap if they have to make up their own false reviews.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.