Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students - Get Degrees & Leave UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the last few weeks students have been branded as thugs, layabouts, a waste and leeches on society.

Why on earth should we after graduating get jobs in the UK to pay tax to fund the pensions of these people who call us such names? Why should we help those who disrespect us so much?

Not only this but law students will be aiding these people in lawsuits and legal proceedings.

NHS Students will in the future be carrying out operations to help those very people who branded them worthless thugs.

Medicine students will be finding out about new treatments for diseases a lot of these older people are more likely to get.

Computer Scientists will be creating new technologies to make lives easier on a day to day basis from work to home experience - from programmes like AutoCad that keeps thousands in jobs.

Why the hell on this earth should we graduate and help these people branding us such things?

I am moving to a country where they respect students, where students get recognition for trying to improve themselves, gain more knowledge, try and gain a better education to help society in the long run. In this country students are massively disrespected yet at least they are trying to better themselves rather than running along to the JSA queue to claim from the taxpayer to do absolutely nothing.

Let me ask you people who brand us thugs.

Q: Who do you think will pay your pensions in the future when you are older?
    A: The taxpayer - a lot of the high paying tax payers will be graduates

Q: Who will be contributing the most tax to help the country?
    A: Ex graduates

Exactly, graduates will pay for you at one point so instead of labelling us as thugs and leeches you should encourage us to achieve the best in order to improve employment prospects which in turn will more than likely mean a bigger salary and a bigger contribution of tax.

I've had enough personally and after graduation and I don't even start until 2011 but once I graduate I will take my degree and I will go to countries like Germany, USA, Australia & Eastern European countries where graduates/students are respected for their willingness to learn and the effort and time they put in. In the UK everyone just likes moaning.

Without students, this country would lose all its technically gifted people, would lose all its main surgeons and researchers and all its very well educated employees. Just you think about that! Its better to have too many people with a degree than not enough believe you me.

I just hope you people who brand us thugs never ever need a serious operation because I wonder if you will call that graduate a thug and worthless to society then when he/she is saving your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    For the last few weeks students have been branded as thugs, layabouts, a waste and leeches on society.

Why on earth should we after graduating get jobs in the UK to pay tax to fund the pensions of these people who call us such names? Why should we help those who disrespect us so much?

Not only this but law students will be aiding these people in lawsuits and legal proceedings.

NHS Students will in the future be carrying out operations to help those very people who branded them worthless thugs.

Medicine students will be finding out about new treatments for diseases a lot of these older people are more likely to get.

Computer Scientists will be creating new technologies to make lives easier on a day to day basis from work to home experience - from programmes like AutoCad that keeps thousands in jobs.

Why the hell on this earth should we graduate and help these people branding us such things?

I am moving to a country where they respect students, where students get recognition for trying to improve themselves, gain more knowledge, try and gain a better education to help society in the long run. In this country students are massively disrespected yet at least they are trying to better themselves rather than running along to the JSA queue to claim from the taxpayer to do absolutely nothing.

Exactly, graduates will pay for you at one point so instead of labelling us as thugs and leeches you should encourage us to achieve the best in order to improve employment prospects which in turn will more than likely mean a bigger salary and a bigger contribution of tax.

I've had enough personally and after graduation and I don't even start until 2011 but once I graduate I will take my degree and I will go to countries like Germany, USA, Australia & Eastern European countries where graduates/students are respected for their willingness to learn and the effort and time they put in. In the UK everyone just likes moaning.

Without students, this country would lose all its technically gifted people, would lose all its main surgeons and researchers and all its very well education employees. Just you think about that! Its better to have too many people with a degree than not enough believe you me.

I just hope you people who brand us thugs never ever need a serious operation because I wonder if you will call that graduate a thug and worthless to society then when he is saving your life.
    My aunt did this.

She did a Bsc and an MBA all with some sort of funding and left the country. On top of that her parents paid for a lot of university so she must have had a lot let over. I'm not too happy about this seeing as my parents pay for this out of tax.

Still that was 10 years ago and she's never had a letter or anyone come after her in anyway. She can never come back here though. She doesn't even take flights that could risk having to land in the UK. It was smart on her part though. She had a good amount of loan left over which she used to put a downpayment on a flat.

She wonders why I don't really speak to her anymore :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Without students, this country would lose all its technically gifted people, would lose all its main surgeons and researchers and all its very well educated employees. Just you think about that! Its better to have too many people with a degree than not enough believe you me.

I just hope you people who brand us thugs never ever need a serious operation because I wonder if you will call that graduate a thug and worthless to society then when he is saving your life.
    i agree with you, its a ironic story also. They hate the people that is going to be their future

I go when there is a job for me. Being in the film industry art department doesn't tie me to UK, i might go abroad for work

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the people that disagree with the students actions were students at some point. Do not think that you will be the only people to treat patients, defend/prosecute people in courts and the like. When the people you will work with and learn from when you actually earn a living will be graduates with more work experience than your lifespan, and a lot of them see the wrong doing in your actions.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving the UK after graduation is a great idea, but be aware that this won't exempt you from paying back tuition fees and student loans.

The Student Loans company will still hunt you down and try to make you pay even if you live in Australia.

Yesterday was the day that the Lib Dems killed higher education in this country. 9k in fees today and then after a few years and inflation what next 20k a year ? 30k ? This won't be the last rise in tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    Leaving the UK after graduation is a great idea, but be aware that this won't exempt you from paying back tuition fees and student loans.

I'll pay back the loans for the education I received, I have no issues with that. I won't however be paying additional tax into the UK because students and graduates do not get any respect for trying to gain an education and improve their knowledge of a subject or sector.

The Student Loans company will still hunt you down and try to make you pay even if you live in Australia.

That's fine.

I'll pay my loans back to the SLC and pay my tax to the Australian Government or the German government - governments that actually encourage students instead of branding them thugs and worthless leeches.

Yesterday was the day that the Lib Dems killed higher education in this country. 9k in fees today and then after a few years and inflation what next 20k a year ? 30k ? This won't be the last rise in tuition fees.
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)

I'd like to think that was the case.

However my aunt transfered money from here straight to the Canadian bank. It would of been simple to track her down. Nobody ever did. Maybe the money it costs to track her down wasn't worth it ?

I also intend on leaving the country because I don't like the way students are being treated. However I will definitly pay my loans back before I go.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the populism :rolleyes:

Might as well join in...

THEY TERK OUR JERRRRBBSS!!!

ReputationRep:
    Because you've taken "their" money. I work hard, and pay taxes. Why should I be left to pay for your education whilst you leave the country? How very nice of you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the door smack your arse on the way out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Because you've taken "their" money. I work hard, and pay taxes. Why should I be left to pay for your education whilst you leave the country? How very nice of you.
    I will pay back the loans I was given to get educated.

I will not however get a job in the UK to pay tax on top of that to ungrateful people moaning about students.

They can have the money to cover the tuition fee and maintenance loans I was given as they are entitled to it so I will pay 9% of my income until that debt is settled.

However as my job will be abroad the tax I contribute will go to that country, not the UK.

All students get in the UK is abuse and without students/graduates the UK would have a much worse of economy. Just you go to places in Eastern Europe and see people ploughing to live. People should be thankful that students try and better themselves as in the long run they contribute a hell of a lot more through tax contributions.

(Original post by CyclopsRock)
      Thats what you get for calling us 'thugs'.

ReputationRep:
      Fine by me! just means there will be more jobs in the UK, whilst your in another country comfortably paying back your loans, works well for everyone, don't let us hold you up!

ReputationRep:
      Do not assume that all students feel the same way as you.

I don't necessarily like the idea of rising fees (although it is just more debt I will never pay back anyway) but with so many people going to university these days and such a low rating in education for this country, I think we need some kind of way of cutting down the number of entries. Rising fees would mean more debt, but would hopefully get more people who are there to learn and to get a good mark.

Some of the videos from the student protests have been vile. Students trashing buildings and launching fire extinguishers from buildings. For apparently intelligent people, some students have approached this situation in such an unprofessional manner. I am very disappointed at some of their behaviour, but applaud those who stand up for their beliefs in a professional manner.

ReputationRep:
      Actually, I happened to like the UK. Sure, the coalition government is like a pain in the neck for me at the moment, but by the time I graduate, there'll be another election, and things will probably change. Likewise, I won't be affected by a fees rise any time soon, and I already have a job secured whether I graduate or not, so if fees do rise, I'll step down to the BSc from the Masters course, and go into the real world for a few years.

(Original post by daytona01)
        For apparently intelligent people, some students have approached this situation in such an unprofessional manner.
        Since when were students professionals? :lolwut:

It's the police who have a duty to remain professional. The students are just rioting, there's nothing professional about it. It's not their job to riot, they don't get paid for it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
        Since when were students professionals? :lolwut:

It's the police who have a duty to remain professional. The students are just rioting, there's nothing professional about it. It's not their job to riot, they don't get paid for it.
        This is just retarded, causing milloins of pounds of damage and injuring people is illegal, of course they dont get paid for it, the damage costs of these riots come out of the taxpayers pockets, rioting is very ILLEGAL, plus the police remained very professional, if you are violent to riot police, then they are as heavy handed as needed to protect themselves, you cant just push back somebody who is stabbing for your face with a metal pole, or throwing rocks at you, the riot police needed to respond with hitting back

ReputationRep:
        If you can get out of the country after you graduate - have enough money and can get a visa to wherever then go for it. That's my plan :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Bosch)
        This is just retarded, causing milloins of pounds of damage and injuring people is illegal, of course they dont get paid for it, the damage costs of these riots come out of the taxpayers pockets, rioting is very ILLEGAL, plus the police remained very professional, if you are violent to riot police, then they are as heavy handed as needed to protect themselves, you cant just push back somebody who is stabbing for your face with a metal pole, or throwing rocks at you, the riot police needed to respond with hitting back
        It suddenly doesn't seem as dangerous when you have a shield and full face helmet. I commend the police though, only 12 of them injured to the 60 students.

And at the very least I guess we should be thankful no one got killed.

(Original post by Bosch)
          I'm not blaming the riot police for anything. I'm just pointing out how nonsensical it was for you to say the students should have been more 'professional' when rioting. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.