Athiesm, Stoicism and the rest. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What are your thoughts on 'died in the wool' athiests? Is it truly possible to be an athiest, or merely fall into the grouping of being a stoic? I long regarded myself to be an athiest, but after a night discussing a few things with a priest and some other bloke, they've convinced me that I never was an athiest. Does anyone else feel they could be stoic, yet not an out and out athiest?
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
What are your thoughts on 'died in the wool' athiests? Is it truly possible to be an athiest, or merely fall into the grouping of being a stoic? I long regarded myself to be an athiest, but after a night discussing a few things with a priest and some other bloke, they've convinced me that I never was an athiest. Does anyone else feel they could be stoic, yet not an out and out athiest?
Sorry to not really answer the question, but did they persuade you to turn religious?
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I'm not an atheist but then again i'm not a believer in god...i'm an in between ...if that's possible. Maybe i should be a buddhist -that has got to be then most peaceful religion there is.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I'm not an atheist but then again i'm not a believer in god...i'm an in between ...if that's possible. Maybe i should be a buddhist -that has got to be then most peaceful religion there is.
That's it! I'm now officially a buddhist..! (positively beams with this realisation)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
That's it! I'm now officially a buddhist..! (positively beams with this realisation)
Buddhism isn't technically a religion it's a philosophy

And someone who doesn't believe in god but doesn't believe in the absence of God is an Agnostic.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how can you go from atheism to stoicism ?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what's stoicism? :confused:
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
what's stoicism? :confused:
yes what is stoicism?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.mindground.net/stoiccog.html

Stoics insist on truth being something that could be indisputably identified....

On the other hand, while asserting that such sublime knowledge is within any normal person’s grasp, the Stoics consistently assert that most people never get this far. This simultaneously allows for a goal of human perfectibility and limits it to an elite group who vastly enjoys agreeing with one another.

Despite this tendency, their stubbornness and insistence on knowledge placed above opinion is a very fundamental observation that anyone could benefit from. Although there is potential for such an insistence to become its own opinion, there is still the reassurance that if we wind up with false impressions or mistaken conclusions, we have no one to blame but ourselves. In addition to this legacy of duty towards ascertaining what is true, there is the legacy of an ideal of pure, raw, untainted experience that can serve as inspiration in a confusing world.
Although the philosophy defined by the quote ""a Stoic achieves happiness by submission to destiny""...and I don't know many athiests who believe in destiny.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)

Although the philosophy defined by the quote ""a Stoic achieves happiness by submission to destiny""...and I don't know many athiests who believe in destiny.
thanxs
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

wow - thanks pencil queen. looks like i'm a stoic
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Buddhism isn't technically a religion it's a philosophy

And someone who doesn't believe in god but doesn't believe in the absence of God is an Agnostic.
and pencil Queen - thanks again, now i can declare to everyone i'm an agnostic.
Alexander04
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm a atheist a happy one at that
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Sorry to not really answer the question, but did they persuade you to turn religious?
No they explained what athiesm really meant, and from that I'm unable to believe that anyone is truly athiest, as it is supposed to be the exact opposite of believing in God. Thus no beliefs what so ever. I was rather impressed that they didn't try to make me turn to religion. One thing I can't stand is someone shoving it all in your face saying 'believe in God, it is righteous' etc.
Sire
Rep:
?

Thanks Pencil Queen.
Sire
Rep:
?
There you have it people. With thanks to Pencil Queen, you can now know that you're not really an athiest, if you thought you were to begin with, but more likely stoic, or perhaps agnostic.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm afraid I'm still an atheist - although I agree with some of the stoic concepts (the bit on bold about truth being more important than opinion being the main one) I will never accept the concept of destiny...I believe things do eventually turn out right for people - but because of peoples ability to learn from their mistakes and take control of their lives not through some predesignated route mapped out since birth.

And I'm not an agnostic (even though I understand that refusing to accept the possibiltiy of a god requires as much faith as believing in one), my gut feeling says no god, no doubts and has done for a long time now (since I stopped believing that god lived on my lampshade and got through the teenage phase of thinking the entire world is a figment of someone's imagination etc etc).

I do believe that on paper I'm a better christian than a lot of people who go to church every sunday though.

Sire
Rep:
?
I'm afraid I'm still an atheist - although I agree with some of the stoic concepts (the bit on bold about truth being more important than opinion being the main one) I will never accept the concept of destiny...I believe things do eventually turn out right for people - but because of peoples ability to learn from their mistakes and take control of their lives not through some predesignated route mapped out since birth.

And I'm not an agnostic (even though I understand that refusing to accept the possibiltiy of a god requires as much faith as believing in one), my gut feeling says no god, no doubts and has done for a long time now (since I stopped believing that god lived on my lampshade and got through the teenage phase of thinking the entire world is a figment of someone's imagination etc etc).

I do believe that on paper I'm a better christian than a lot of people who go to church every sunday though.

I'd have to agree with your last comment there. On the whole I'm a pretty good person, even though I'm supposed to burn in the pits of hell when I die because I have no soul etc.
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You can't be a 'better christian' than someone. If you believe in Jesus, thats it. Anything else is a bonus, but if you don't believe in Jesus, you can't claim to be a better christian than them.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ensocopier)
You can't be a 'better christian' than someone. If you believe in Jesus, thats it. Anything else is a bonus, but if you don't believe in Jesus, you can't claim to be a better christian than them.
I know plenty of christians who repeatedly and unrepentantly break the golden rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) while this is the one "rule" that I live my life by.

Most bible scholars agree that the golden rule is the central philosophy behind christianity (more so than the ten commandments which had nothing to do with christ) to claim to be a christian and not follow it's most obvious message IMO makes you a "bad" christian (or more accurately a fake christian). And while I don't believe in god or christ as the son of god I believe by the measures he laid down for entry to heaven I measure up pretty well.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads