Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Urgent: To apply to UCL or waste of time ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply for UCL for Law however they have not responded to any emails I have sent them asking them if it is worth applying because of the following; I’m a third year and I only have a C at Maths (I’ve only just found out that they require a minimum of a B). Can anyone please tell me if I should instead put another uni, or if there is a chance I could get into UCL. I will leave, after three years, with A*AAAB/ad. UCAS is all on time, but will ask for it to be sent back quickly in order to change this if necessary, but I'd have to be quick about it.

Thanks
    Please be honest, ta.

ReputationRep:
    If you have done your A Levels over 3 years without any mitigating circumstances then you are unlikely to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    If they've put on their webpages that they require a B in Maths (you are sure of it), I'd apply somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand?

If you are going to leave with A*AAB, then where is the C? And if you are doing 4 subjects, why are you required to have a B in Maths if you meet the offer in respect of other subjects?

There is little point in applying if you don't meet their minimum requirements. But unless I'm being an idiot, I don't really understand why you don't meet their requirements? Surely they don't require a specific grade in Maths given that you don't need Maths for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I don't really understand?

If you are going to leave with A*AAB, then where is the C? And if you are doing 4 subjects, why are you required to have a B in Maths if you meet the offer in respect of other subjects?

There is little point in applying if you don't meet their minimum requirements. But unless I'm being an idiot, I don't really understand why you don't meet their requirements? Surely they don't require a specific grade in Maths given that you don't need Maths for law?

I think he means a C at maths at GCSE but I could be wrong

OP at the end of the day UCL is a long shot for anybody even the very best. You have 5 choices so if you apply to UCL you still have 4 others. Atleast by applying and failing (not saying you will) then you won't have any regrets or what ifs.

Take the chance, the worse that happens is you get rejected, nothing ventured nothing gained

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you'll only apply to uni once. So apply for UCL, making sure your other 4 choices cover you.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't, you don't meet the requirements. unless you took maths at A level in which case you have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    unless I'm being an idiot, I don't really understand why you don't meet their requirements? Surely they don't require a specific grade in Maths given that you don't need Maths for law?
    You're not being an idiot for thinking Maths shouldn't required for a wannabe Law student! ITA with that sentiment. But some Unis do ask for B/C at GCSE (eg Oxford, UCL). When I went for my interview at Oxford, I asked the tutor why and she said you need to be "reasonably numerate" such that you can do simple sums like calculating damages.

OP, if you're certain that your math grade doesn't cut it, I'd say skip UCL. I'm not sure how strict they are in enforcing pre-requisites but considering they have so many applicants, I imagine they'd be quite strict. Which other schools have you applied to? If you have a good selection of insurance choices, can spare a slot and would really want to go to UCL, there's no harm in trying though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.