Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

practice drive before the test - how long for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    my test is at 8.40am, how long should i practice for immediately beforehand? i have no car so am using my instructors and need to book time in.

should i have an hour or an hour and a half?

how long is the test?

also, what actually happens? do they say, ok drive left, right, ahead etc etc stop do a manoever? how long is the Q&A bit?

if i take ages doing the manover, like 10 mins and keep stopping to look all around, there is less driving time so less to go wrong, right?

ReputationRep:
    I had a 11.21 test this morning. We left at 9.45 and it takes approx 35 minutes to get up there anyway. If I were you i'd say an hour was enough. I was **** scared and mucking up absolutely everything!!

I passed though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    my test is at 8.40am, how long should i practice for immediately beforehand? i have no car so am using my instructors and need to book time in.

should i have an hour or an hour and a half?

how long is the test?

also, what actually happens? do they say, ok drive left, right, ahead etc etc stop do a manoever? how long is the Q&A bit?

if i take ages doing the manover, like 10 mins and keep stopping to look all around, there is less driving time so less to go wrong, right?
    I would have an hour if I were you. That''s the normal time I think (it's what I had).
    I've heard the test has changed and you drive on your ow following road signs, but I'm not sure when that happened or even if it has yet. (I done mine two years ago). But either way you'll pretty much know the route you're going on and they'll give you prolonged directions e.g. follow this road straight down then take the right when you come to the junction, blablabla. The test should last about 40 mins actual driving but about an hour getting in, getting out etc, doing your eyesight test etc. You could slow it down a bit but be careful- you'll get minors for being hesitant!

ReputationRep:
    hi i personally would recommend an hour and a half. the test itself lasts for 40-45minutes. a new 2010 test came into place last month. on this test you only need to carry out one manouvre. you also have a section called independent driving. that will last for 10minutes out of the 40-45given. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, i will book an hour practice cos i think if i drive longer than 2h i wil mess up and not concentrate.

i head the test was 30-35 min not 45!! i was gonna basically ignore all their directions for independant driving and take the easiest looking route. also i wasgonna say out loud mirror everytime i check the mirror

ReputationRep:
    i had an hour drive before mine

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, i will book an hour practice cos i think if i drive longer than 2h i wil mess up and not concentrate.

i head the test was 30-35 min not 45!! i was gonna basically ignore all their directions for independant driving and take the easiest looking route. also i wasgonna say out loud mirror everytime i check the mirror
    thats exactly what i done! if he says go left but that looks to complicated then go right.lol. just say u misheard him if he asks which i doubt he will.

ReputationRep:
    also being optimistic, if i pass is it ok to get my instructor a gift, esp with it being xmas n all? like a small box of chocs or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    thats exactly what i done! if he says go left but that looks to complicated then go right.lol. just say u misheard him if he asks which i doubt he will.
    haha dude your awesome. definately if there a roundabout, i will take the first left no matter what he says!!

and every turn im gonna say loudly 'mirror signal position' :top:

ReputationRep:
    also being optimistic, if i pass is it ok to get my instructor a gift, esp with it being xmas n all? like a small box of chocs or what?
    Yeh course it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KellyWellyWoo537)
    Yeh course it is
    Kelly Welly you a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    Kelly Welly you a *****
    Thanks, I already knew that though...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely...definitely...positi vely...without a doubt...the bigger the better...hehe

Emma
    (Driving Instructor, chocoholic, lover of unexpected gifts )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Absolutely...definitely...positi vely...without a doubt...the bigger the better...hehe

Emma
    (Driving Instructor, chocoholic, lover of unexpected gifts )
    what kind of things do people normally give? my bro says not to give anything cos they arent allwoaed to accept and are just doing a job. but i have a realyl lovely driving instructor, she has helped me LOAAAADS and is absolutely brill!

i was just gonna get her these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-Gift-Pack.jpg but they are pretty small. im a soppy generous soul so dont wana be OTT. also dot you get given LOADS of chocs, should i give something else? like what?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't drive before, I would wait until tomorrow. Sit in the car at home and practice the questions such as "how do I test the brake lights" etc.

Your instructor believes you are ready for the test, just stay calm and show the examiner that you can drive. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of things do people normally give? my bro says not to give anything cos they arent allwoaed to accept and are just doing a job. but i have a realyl lovely driving instructor, she has helped me LOAAAADS and is absolutely brill!

i was just gonna get her these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-Gift-Pack.jpg but they are pretty small. im a soppy generous soul so dont wana be OTT. also dot you get given LOADS of chocs, should i give something else? like what?
    To be honest being given anything is just really lovely and perfectly acceptable. It's sooooooooo nice to be given something that you are not expecting so your present suggestion will be much appreciated by her.

Emma

ReputationRep:
    how long is the test?

Has your instructor actually told you anything about the test?

Wrong! The test route is from A to B, so stalling for time isn't going to make the test any shorter in terms of distance, it will just mean you're out there longer. Aside from really pissing off the examiner, you can fail for taking longer than a reasonable time to complete the manoeuvre. It shouldn't take you longer than a minute or two to park a car, depending on what you have to wait for. So if you're being ultra-cautious and waiting unnecessarily while blocking the road, it's inconsiderate to other road users and will be faulted. Get on with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.