Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not clear about the support for poor family in the new fee system approved yesterday.

The below is the quote from BBC article:
    "Is there any help for students from poorer homes?
    Yes - pupils who have been eligible for school meals could get up to two years' worth of fees paid for under plans being considered. These potential students are from the very poorest backgrounds, whose parents were in receipt of benefits when they were at school."

Who are exactly eligible for this? My parents are receiving income based job seekers allowance, then am I eligible for this support?

What amount can I receive if I'm eligible? 2 years' worth of fees --- means say if I take the course of £6,000 tuition fee for 3 years course, do I pay only £12,000 rather than £18,000?

Appreciate if someone enlighten me.

Thank you.

Gabriel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabSantos)
    Hi,

I'm not clear about the support for poor family in the new fee system approved yesterday.

The below is the quote from BBC article:
    "Is there any help for students from poorer homes?
    Yes - pupils who have been eligible for school meals could get up to two years' worth of fees paid for under plans being considered. These potential students are from the very poorest backgrounds, whose parents were in receipt of benefits when they were at school."

Who are exactly eligible for this? My parents are receiving income based job seekers allowance, then am I eligible for this support?

What amount can I receive if I'm eligible? 2 years' worth of fees --- means say if I take the course of £6,000 tuition fee for 3 years course, do I pay only £12,000 rather than £18,000?

Appreciate if someone enlighten me.

Thank you.

Gabriel
    If a three year course is £6k a year, and you're eligible for 2 years worth of fees, that means you pay £6k, not £12k...

But yes, that's what it means, and I don't know if you're eligible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    If a three year course is £6k a year, and you're eligible for 2 years worth of fees, that means you pay £6k, not £12k...

But yes, that's what it means, and I don't know if you're eligible.

Hi CyclopsRock,

Many thanks for your answer, which gets me to clear up how the support works.

I also found the below article in UK Parents Lounge site:

"Can poorer students receive grants or other help?

If a student qualified for free school meals, they may also qualify for up to two years' worth of university fees paid for - something likely to apply only to students whose parents are on benefits. This would mean a much smaller student loan.

Under this scheme, students who qualify for an expensive university would end up paying less in fees over three years than they do now. "

, which tallys what you explained.

I just checked the eligibility of Free Meal as follows:

"Current free school meals eligibility criteria
    From 6 April 2010, children whose parents are in receipt of one of the following:

* Income Support
    * income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    * an income-related employment and support allowance
    * support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    * Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs*
    * the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit

will be entitled to receive free school meals.

* Note: Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches.

Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also eligible to receive free school meals. "

Surely, these criteria will be changed in accordance with the coming Welfare reform though, looks I could be eligible.

Hope this information will motivate those who are about to give up Uni due to the low income environment.

Gabriel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.