Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing this exam on the 25th of January 2011?

How is everyone finding it? I think the content amount is huge!

Anyone have any tips for this exam?

How is revision going?

Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    Hii im doing this exam on the 25th and although quite intresting i think the amount of work we need to learn is a joke i havnt even finished making my revision notes for it yet let alone start revising and i have 3 other exams in Jan , i plan to really put my head dwn over the nxt week and get all notes done for all my subjects and im gonna print of past papers tom , i really cannot be bothered with topics 5 + 6 gender and ethnicity and they have both came up since the new spec so i wanna miss them out as i dnt think or want them to come up but knowing my luck if i did tht they would come up and plzz someone give me some revision tips and some idea of hw much we actually need to learn for an A thhhnxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo9292)
    Hii im doing this exam on the 25th and although quite intresting i think the amount of work we need to learn is a joke i havnt even finished making my revision notes for it yet let alone start revising and i have 3 other exams in Jan , i plan to really put my head dwn over the nxt week and get all notes done for all my subjects and im gonna print of past papers tom , i really cannot be bothered with topics 5 + 6 gender and ethnicity and they have both came up since the new spec so i wanna miss them out as i dnt think or want them to come up but knowing my luck if i did tht they would come up and plzz someone give me some revision tips and some idea of hw much we actually need to learn for an A thhhnxxx
    I agree, I think the amount of info we need to remember is ridiculous. I personally have a hate for the methods in context questions.

ReputationRep:
    I can see this being the bane of my life come June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamTheKook)
    I can see this being the bane of my life come June.
    Not doing this in July then?

I am dreading this exam. I can't believe I thought it'd be a good idea to do the whole Sociology A Level in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)
    Not doing this in July then?
    If you meant January then no :P. I'm doing Beliefs in Society in January and then this paper in June. I pretty much need two A*'s in the two papers, or at least two very high A's.

ReputationRep:
    If you meant January then no :P. I'm doing Beliefs in Society in January and then this paper in June. I pretty much need two A*'s in the two papers, or at least two very high A's.
    Haha yeah I meant January, apologies cos I am tired

how do you feel with beliefs? I don't think its too bad, but a lot to remember. But I guess I have 4 units to remember plus a psychology unit

Good luck! I'd like to get an A*.... not sure if this is unrealistic though.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah I meant January, apologies cos I am tired

how do you feel with beliefs? I don't think its too bad, but a lot to remember. But I guess I have 4 units to remember plus a psychology unit

Good luck! I'd like to get an A*.... not sure if this is unrealistic though.
    Beliefs in Society isn't too bad. I've got to a stage now where I know the stuff, it's just remembering which Sociologist goes with what evidence haha. I'm pretty lucky in that it's my only exam in January so I'm able to focus on it 100%.

I'm hoping Crime and Deviance won't be extremely difficult, especially as I'm doing Law next year at university and I want to do quite well. But hearing how much there is to remember is making me a bit less confident.

ReputationRep:
    Beliefs in Society isn't too bad. I've got to a stage now where I know the stuff, it's just remembering which Sociologist goes with what evidence haha. I'm pretty lucky in that it's my only exam in January so I'm able to focus on it 100%.

I'm hoping Crime and Deviance won't be extremely difficult, especially as I'm doing Law next year at university and I want to do quite well. But hearing how much there is to remember is making me a bit less confident.
    Law eh... where have you applied? I am also going to be a lawyer next year...

I think the difficult thing with C + D is just how much you have to remember...

ReputationRep:
    Law eh... where have you applied? I am also going to be a lawyer next year...

I think the difficult thing with C + D is just how much you have to remember...
    I've got down Sheffield, Hull, Dundee, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield Hallam. They're not the greatest law schools in the world (although Trent is linked to Nottingham Law School which is quite good). I probably fall into that lower band of law applicants, hovering around the AAB/ABB mark so it can be quite difficult to find 'reputable' universities offering those kind of grades but I'm really excited about studying it at any of those universities. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've got down Sheffield, Hull, Dundee, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield Hallam. They're not the greatest law schools in the world (although Trent is linked to Nottingham Law School which is quite good). I probably fall into that lower band of law applicants, hovering around the AAB/ABB mark so it can be quite difficult to find 'reputable' universities offering those kind of grades but I'm really excited about studying it at any of those universities. How about you?

Oh shh! Those are great law schools, don't be put down by the fact that a majority of the people on TSR apply to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Durham etc!!!

I have applied to Hull, UEA, Reading, Birmingham (rejected, bad LNAT) and Keele. Now you could say that they aren't the greatest law schools in the world? But who gives a ****? As long as you work hard for a 2.1/first then you will get very very far.

Plus I have ABB and aiming for AAB through retakes so do not say my grades aren't good enough for reputable unis.

ReputationRep:
    Oh shh! Those are great law schools, don't be put down by the fact that a majority of the people on TSR apply to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Durham etc!!!

I have applied to Hull, UEA, Reading, Birmingham (rejected, bad LNAT) and Keele. Now you could say that they aren't the greatest law schools in the world? But who gives a ****? As long as you work hard for a 2.1/first then you will get very very far.

Plus I have ABB and aiming for AAB through retakes so do not say my grades aren't good enough for reputable unis.
    Haha, you're too kind. But yeah like you say, as long as you work hard then there is no reason why you can't get a 2:1 or a first.

They're really good unis, especially UEA. Have you had any offers? Looking at your options, it makes me wish I a bit was braver with my choices haha. I would have loved to have gone to any of the ones you've put down.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you're too kind. But yeah like you say, as long as you work hard then there is no reason why you can't get a 2:1 or a first.

They're really good unis, especially UEA. Have you had any offers? Looking at your options, it makes me wish I a bit was braver with my choices haha. I would have loved to have gone to any of the ones you've put down.
    Honestly. Some of the people on here sound like such snobs with their 16 A*'s and AAAAAAAAA A levels and I do understand how **** they make you feel, (well sometimes it makes me feel a little worthless and like I shouldn't be doing law)

Yeah I like my choices.

Everyone thinks about the places they chose in hindsight. I shouldn't of put Keele down as I thought they were AAA uni, but turns out I have the grades for them already and I did only want one ABB uni down (hull).

Good luck though. You will be fine!!! Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Im dreading doing this exam
    I found the education and family paper really easy last year and got an A, but i have found A2 sociology quite hard and i have to try to get an A* in it
    There is WAY too much to remember and i have not even finished making my revision cards yet for it PLUS i also have a Psychology exam, which requires a lot of revision too.....so im quite worried

Crime and deviance isn't too bad, but the theory section IS horrible!!!

Im going to try and tackle the theory section in my folder tomorrow to try to make the theories more memorable (hopefully :rolleyes:)

How is everyone revising for it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairelou92)
    Im dreading doing this exam
    I found the education and family paper really easy last year and got an A, but i have found A2 sociology quite hard and i have to try to get an A* in it
    There is WAY too much to remember and i have not even finished making my revision cards yet for it PLUS i also have a Psychology exam, which requires a lot of revision too.....so im quite worried

Crime and deviance isn't too bad, but the theory section IS horrible!!!

Im going to try and tackle the theory section in my folder tomorrow to try to make the theories more memorable (hopefully :rolleyes:)

How is everyone revising for it??
    I haven't finished C+D notes yet.

Ahh as long as you found the families and education paper alright then hopefully it will be okay for me too

I am revising by using spider diagrams/practise papers and revision cards.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't finished C+D notes yet.

Ahh as long as you found the families and education paper alright then hopefully it will be okay for me too

I am revising by using spider diagrams/practise papers and revision cards.
    cool
    Im using revision cards and revision notes my teacher gave me, but it is still going to be virtually impossible to remember everything

Is the suicide section part of crime and deviance???

ReputationRep:
    cool
    Im using revision cards and revision notes my teacher gave me, but it is still going to be virtually impossible to remember everything

Is the suicide section part of crime and deviance???
    Yep! Suicide seems a bit of a random bit to have at the end of crime and deviance I thought. A tad depressing too.

Are you doing beliefs as well?

ReputationRep:
    Me too :/
    How are you finding it?
    I find it so so boring, I'm not revising as much as I should.
    I loved sociology last year, and I need to get two A*s too pretty much.
    Hopefully Crime and Deviance will be more interesting at least.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Suicide seems a bit of a random bit to have at the end of crime and deviance I thought. A tad depressing too.

Are you doing beliefs as well?
    I hate having to revise around chirstmas time

Well the suicide bit doesn't seem too hard to remember, but it is depressing

What do you mean by the beliefs? Do you mean what the sociologists believe about crime and deviance and the causes or do you mean where there are 3 theories that argue about whether sociology is a science or not??

Its confusing about how many sections there are....

Is the belief thing part of the the theories?? or seperate??

ReputationRep:
    I hate having to revise around chirstmas time

Well the suicide bit doesn't seem too hard to remember, but it is depressing

What do you mean by the beliefs? Do you mean what the sociologists believe about crime and deviance and the causes or do you mean where there are 3 theories that argue about whether sociology is a science or not??

Its confusing about how many sections there are....

Is the belief thing part of the the theories?? or seperate??
    unit 3: beliefs in society. or are you doing something different for unit 3?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.