Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you only be addicted to bad things? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is addiction negative?
    Yes
    21.74%
    No
    60.87%
    Maybe
    21.74%

ReputationRep:
    Are things that you use excessively harmful? Is too much of something good for you or do you need something else? Is addiction just a negative thing?

ReputationRep:
    Well not really, you can be addicted to things that are intriniscally good and not harmful, e.g. sex, studying, TV, etc.

The problem in these cases is with the addiction itself, which by its nature takes over your life. Moderation is key, really.

ReputationRep:
    i think its just that if you're considered to be 'addicted' to something, its generally because its having a negative effect on the person.

you could be addicted to water and it wouldnt really be bad? but then maybe if you drink 50 gallons it is bad.. i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Well not really, you can be addicted to things that are intriniscally good and not harmful, e.g. sex, studying, TV, etc.

The problem in these cases is with the addiction itself, which by its nature takes over your life. Moderation is key, really.
    Exactly.

However, I wish I could be addicted to studing during term time. :sigh: I'd be willing to sacrifice my social life for holidays only. :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m45)
    you could be addicted to water and it wouldnt really be bad? but then maybe if you drink 50 gallons it is bad.. i dunno.
    addicted to water? that is without doubt the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Addicted to something that keeps you alive? pfft what next, an addiction to breathing!?!

ReputationRep:
    Addicted to love. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    addicted to water? that is without doubt the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Addicted to something that keeps you alive? pfft what next, an addiction to breathing!?!
    I can't tell if you're joking...

But if youre not, addiction to water is a real thing. And in cases it has been fatal as the victim drinks excessive quantities of water to the point where they become hyponatraemic and fall into a coma and die.

Edit: here is an example

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...aholic-inquest

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't feel that we can be addicted to bad things all the time (apart from illegeal things, like heroin..), but I feel we can make addictions bad ourselves. An example I think, would be a person being addicted to TV (as Democracy said ). It seems harmless at first but we can "make it bad" so to speak by becoming so obsessed with it that it runs our lives, and how we live our lives, e.g not going out at a certain point in the day as a tv show is on and if you do go out something bad will happen.

I hope this makes sense, I just had an answer and had to write it down XD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, addiction causes a serious imbalance in your priorities; i.e. doing something to the extent where it seriously impinges on the other aspects of your life. For some (more intrinsically harmful) things this may not even be doing it very often. Things that would otherwise have been considered helpful take much more to become termed an "addiction".

Just ask Aristotle.

ReputationRep:
    Think about why you become addicted in the first place. Because the object activates your reward system.

So not only is that badly worded, but somebody argumentative could argue that you can only be addicted to "good" things (if they wanted to engage in a massive semantic discussion of what "good" means that is)

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, too much of anything is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    I can't tell if you're joking...

But if youre not, addiction to water is a real thing. And in cases it has been fatal as the victim drinks excessive quantities of water to the point where they become hyponatraemic and fall into a coma and die.
    there's a difference between addiction and paranoia. The fact that everybody in the world drinks water doesn't make it a valid addiction. People who die from overdrinking either A) are taking part in 'hold your wee' contests or B) paranoid they aren't drinking enough

ReputationRep:
    Totally addicted to bass.

ReputationRep:
    no cos addictions bad itself.it doesn't matter what your addicted to other than the fact your addicted.
    What your addicted to,if its bad can only make the situation worse.

ReputationRep:
    there's a difference between addiction and paranoia. The fact that everybody in the world drinks water doesn't make it a valid addiction. People who die from overdrinking either A) are taking part in 'hold your wee' contests or B) paranoid they aren't drinking enough
    It's more than just paranoia, people get insatiable cravings for water. I'm not saying that the fact everyone in the world drinks water makes it an addiction - thats obviously not true, the same way everyone who drinks alcohol isnt an alcoholic. But there are some people who, for psychological reasons like those that cause sex addiction, obsessively crave water and drink enormous amounts to try and satisfy those cravings.

ReputationRep:
    'Too much of anything can make you sick, even the good can be a curse, curse' :flute:

ReputationRep:
    You asked a totally different question in the title than the poll. Addiction isn't a good thing, but you can be addicted to good things.

ReputationRep:
    You say that but there was that lady who was on some weird diet. She drank enormous amounts of water and died.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not the fact that everyone drinks water, but the fact that everyone can't go without water that means that it's addictive. Or else how do you define addiction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    No, it's not the fact that everyone drinks water, but the fact that everyone can't go without water that means that it's addictive. Or else how do you define addiction?

the fact that we need it to live imo nullifies it from any addiction, like breathing for example. In my eyes an addiction is depending on a substance/thing you could survive without

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.