ReputationRep:
    Which of the 2 universities is better in terms of:

Nightlife
    Accomdation
    Courses + Lectures
    People
    Repuation
    Hotties?

I'm starting to regret not picking Notts (as well as Leeds ):/ At least then I would have been able visited both uni's and come to a final conclusion..Ajustment is an option but I want to know what you guys think

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is the better academically. In everything else they're much of a muchness. Widely considered to be two of the most "fun" uni experiences in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Well I might have to go to Notts if I miss my firm so if I were you I'd choose Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Well I might have to go to Notts if I miss my firm so if I were you I'd choose Notts.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has the better reputation. Its a tier above Leeds. Both similar socially. Also Notts has a nicer campus. I'd go with Nottingham every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Which of the 2 universities is better in terms of:

Nightlife
    Accomdation
    Courses + Lectures
    People
    Repuation
    Hotties?

I'm starting to regret not picking Notts (as well as Leeds ):/ At least then I would have been able visited both uni's and come to a final conclusion..Ajustment is an option but I want to know what you guys think
    Tbh they are on a par accademically. Leeds is a slightly bigger city than Notts (and nearer the city centre I believe) so maybe a bit better for nightlife, but both unis offer a good student experience. As far as the course goes, it depends on what subject, and what your looking for in that course.

(Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
      Nottingham has the better reputation. Its a tier above Leeds.
      What the. I don't even. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      What the. I don't even. :lolwut:
      Notts average rank is 12th in all tables, and was consistently in the top ten for years. Leeds rarely (if ever) is in the top 20. Notts has always had much higher entry standards, does better in world rankings, is more targeted by employers (see high fliers survey and THES world ranking survey), and is just generally seen as more 'prestigious' in my experience both here and globally

If this question was asked just a few years ago, there would be no debate. Notts was on the Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, York, Warwick level when I applied, a tier above the solid civics like Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham. It has dropped a bit recently, but not that much.

Oh, and dont just come back with some lame 'oh your sprouting rubbish' comment. Do your research on the various unis first, look at the facts.

a couple of my best mates go to Leeds, and they would agree without question that Nottingham is the better uni. The difference isn't massive or anything, but there is a difference

Notts average rank is 12th in all tables, and was consistently in the top ten for years. Leeds rarely (if ever) is in the top 20. Notts has always had much higher entry standards, does better in world rankings, is more targeted by employers (see high fliers survey and THES world ranking survey), and is just generally seen as more 'prestigious' in my experience both here and globally

If this question was asked just a few years ago, there would be no debate. Notts was on the Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, York, Warwick level when I applied, a tier above the solid civics like Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham. It has dropped a bit recently, but not that much.

Oh, and dont just come back with some lame 'oh your sprouting rubbish' comment. Do your research on the various unis first, look at the facts.

a couple of my best mates go to Leeds, and they would agree without question that Nottingham is the better uni. The difference isn't massive or anything, but there is a difference
        Your 'research', which is based on league tables, is laughable.

Leeds is a bit like Manchester in the sense that league tables do them no justice. The reality is that both are top class institutions and two of the research powerhouses in the UK.

Nottingham is a top university, I have no doubts about that. But to say it is a 'tier above' Leeds is somewhat dubious. Nottingham was ranked even higher in the league tables just less than a decade ago, but that doesn't mean it was any better back then. It just means that their investment has reached equilibrium, as it were.

Either way, I don't think an employer would care whether you went to Nottingham or Leeds, it's up to the individual to visit both, do their research and decide which one's for them.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
        Your 'research', which is based on league tables, is laughable.
        And entry standards, and applications per place, and research income, and employability surveys etc etc.

Take the Times League tables blurb about Notts: "In less than twenty years it went from being a solid civic university to a prime alternative to Oxbridge" - In other words, it escaped the solid civics like Leeds, Manchester, B'ham group in the 90s, and moved up to the Bristol, Durham, Warwick group. I would trust the opinion of the Times over you TBH. You have no argument there I'm afraid, and you know it.

Yes, employers probably would not care for 99% of jobs. However, in IB, Law, and Accountancy, Nottingham would put you at a bit of an advantage. Not much, but any advantage is good at the moment.

Both are top unis. One poster said that they were the same. I disagree. I think Nottingham is a bit better. Just my $0.02, which is shared by most I fancy.

Give me some data that says Leeds is better, or at least matches Nottingham in an area such as research, student quality. I am interested because, who knows, it might. So many people on here talk subjectively it is frustrating.

ReputationRep:

I think the difference between Nottingham and the red bricks is only really existent in the areas of law and economics. For my subject (biochemistry), Sheffield (434 points) is significantly better than Nottingham (377 points) and beats it in the teaching, research and reputation.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.