Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the rise in tuition fees deter you from attending uni? watch

• View Poll Results: Has the rise deterred you?
    Yes
    22.83%
    No
    77.17%

ReputationRep:
    Will the rise in tuition fees deter you from attending uni, especially if you're from a deprived background?

ReputationRep:
    How about maybe?

ReputationRep:
    It won't deter me because I know it will be worth the career I have in the long term.

I only wish the reforms came into effect asap. I want to pay £7 per month instead of £45 too!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    I only wish the reforms came into effect asap. I want to pay £7 per month instead of £45 too!!!
    The less you pay, the longer you'll be in debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    It won't deter me because I know it will be worth the career I have in the long term.
    Well, I think that you should only do degrees if there is a solid career at the end, for example law. Or if you're extremely passionate about the subject... I'm not a big fan of those mickey mouse degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    Will the rise in tuition fees deter you from attending uni, especially if you're from a deprived background?
    What does that even mean these days?

ReputationRep:
    F**k Fees
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Except it gets written off if it's not paid off after 25 or 30 years.
    The less you pay per month, the longer you pay for, but the less you pay overall (generally speaking, not going to overcomplicate that with the small amount of interest on the loan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    Poor...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No it gets written off after 30 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    The less you pay per month, the longer you pay for, but the less you pay overall (generally speaking, not going to overcomplicate that with the small amount of interest on the loan)
    I could swear I heard someone tell me that you now have 45 years to pay it off, not 25 anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    You've only got a 32" TV instead of a 50" TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    My bad, its 30.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I could swear I heard someone tell me that you now have 45 years to pay it off, not 25 anymore.
    http://factsonfees.com/new-system.php
    Fourth bullet point; it's 30 years.
    So a 5 year increase.

ReputationRep:
    If it discourages you from going to uni then you really haven't understood the reform.

I wish it had come into effect years ago. I want a student loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)
    You've only got a 32" TV instead of a 50" TV.
    Well, I know people who have lived in a cold house, at times they had no running water and no hot water regularly (they used a kettle to bath for a couple of years), they went hungry as there was not much food in the house, ect. Thats what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    NO, because I'm white middle class! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Well people from a truly 'deprived background' (those on free school dinners) will be paying less than the current system, so no

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know people who have lived in a cold house, at times they had no running water and no hot water regularly (they used a kettle to bath for a couple of years), they went hungry as there was not much food in the house, ect. Thats what I mean.
    That's not deprived.

That's just too stupid to claim JSA.

People on JSA are rich.

If you on JSA you ain't need to do anything.

The government may as well deliver it in a big envelope on your Birthday saying

" Happy Birthday Moth*r****er! Here's Some More Money For Nothing! Have A Good Day And Remember, Winter Allowance For Christmas, Happy Holidays ! "

No one in this country should be deprived as benefits mean everyone has a way of living.

£50-60 per week to sit on my ass. Sign me up right now ! I'll even sell my soul if I have to. That offer sounds to good to be true. Us working folk have to work 1-2 days to get that sort of money but I can get it without moving. Damn, this sounds so good.

That's 21 pot noodles for 7 x 3 meals a week = £21
    That leaves me with £15 to spend on booze and hookers ( she may be an ugly hooker but if the beats all right she will dance all night ) - sign me up !

Then I'll invest the other £14 into my new found tax free business I'm gunna be rich - won't be long before I'm in my Cadillac and you're paying your students loans back haha ! My rims just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.