Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Southampton, Manchester or Sussex? Watch

• View Poll Results: Southampton, Manchester or Sussex?
    Southampton
    44.68%
    Manchester
    38.30%
    Sussex
    17.02%

ReputationRep:
    Which uni should I select for Computer Science?

Which is a better place to live and which offers the best programme on Computer Science?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheouLiS)
    Which uni should I select for Computer Science?

Which is a better place to live and which offers the best programme on Computer Science?

Thanks a lot
    Which uni is a better place to live and which is the better course is subjective. You need to go to the post offer open days and look at the course details.

ReputationRep:
    The question is about the opinion of everyone in here

Which one offers the better programme has to do with the reputation that each one has on every sector..

I just wanted your opinion.. Thanks anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for the others but the Computer Science degree here is supposedly pretty good/popular from what I gather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    I can't speak for the others but the Computer Science degree here is supposedly pretty good/popular from what I gather.
    Which one do you mean by saying "here"?

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you mean by saying "here"?
    Southampton, see my sig :P

ReputationRep:
    There's no sig my friend :P haha

Thanks a lot

Waiting for other opinions..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for voting but I'd be grateful If you could explain your vote..

ReputationRep:
    Computer science at Southampton scores consistently higher in league tables, i believe the degree is very well respected...

ReputationRep:
    And what about the city?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of person are you? do you prefer to be in the middle of a big city? Or do you prefer a bit of greenery? Southampton has a decent centre, everything you could possibly need, a new mall, multiple cinemas etc etc but the campus itself is in a residential area about a mile away - personally I like that as it gives the campus a nice friendly feel and you dont feel too surrounded by buildings. It depends what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of person are you? do you prefer to be in the middle of a big city? Or do you prefer a bit of greenery? Southampton has a decent centre, everything you could possibly need, a new mall, multiple cinemas etc etc but the campus itself is in a residential area about a mile away - personally I like that as it gives the campus a nice friendly feel and you dont feel too surrounded by buildings. It depends what you prefer.
    Could not agree more. The city is great. Nice people, nice environment, amazing uni. Up to you whether you would prefer a smaller or larger city.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: this! The city and uni also have very good transport links, uni buses run into town and back at least every 30 mins if not more and there are trains from Southampton to London, Manchester, Birmingham etc. Its got everything you could want (bowling, cinema, a good selection of clubs/pubs, theatres, shops, museums, parks etc) but it is a smaller city compared to the likes of Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer a bit of greenery.. And the opportunity to go to the centre of the city easily. I've heard about Manchester that offers better student life and in Southampton you can get easily bored.. Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    Sussex definitely. I grew up just outside of Southampton, and am in my third year at Sussex, so now live in Brighton. Yeah, Southampton had decent facilities (by this I mean high street shops, clubs etc), but it's really....dull in my opinion. I can't really think of any appealing features tbh. Brighton is an awesome town to live in - yes Sussex campus is 4 miles out, but you'll most likely spend a lot of time in Brighton itself and it's easy to get to and from campus. Brighton has the beach, atmosphere, great club scene, lots of independent shops, beautiful countryside, one hour (and cheap) train trip from London, etc.

You really need to go to the open days or just visit on an ordinary day, because after all it is quite subjective whether you like a city or not. I obviously have quite strong views about Southampton, but that's mostly because I lived there for 15 years....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand but the level of studies Sussex offers is far worse than Southampton and Manchester, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Academically, Southampton has the best "reputation" for Computer Science. Computer Science and Engineering is Southampton's sort of flagship course; they are up there with the best in the UK. I have absolutely no idea about Manchester and Sussex, but on a related matter, Manchester has a particularly good Mathematics department; since Mathematics and Computer Science go hand in hand, I'd find it hard to believe Manchester has a poor Computer Science department as well. Manchester has some history with their Computer Science department, cannot remember for the life of me what it was, but it was fairly significant.

Location wise, Manchester sticks out like a sore thumb. Do you want to be in a big city or do you want a nice green campus away from the city? Southampton and especially Sussex are out of the way a little bit. Personally, I like Sussex's location the most. It's all a personal preference though, so it's up to you to make that decision.

Southampton seems the best all round choice to me.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand but the level of studies Sussex offers is far worse than Southampton and Manchester, isn't it?
    In general Manchester is better uni than that of Sussex however in terms of Computer Science i would think Sussex would be better.

ReputationRep:
    And Southampton?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.