The Student Room Group

Higher Prelims

I'm in 5th year in High school and due to sit my first higher prelims in January and February.Naturally,I'm beginning to freak out a bit,so I'm hoping for advice/useful books/links to prepare me basically. I'm studying:

Higher English
Higher German
Intermediate Two Administration
Intermediate One Maths
(I'm ashamed of my maths,I really do suck at it.please dont laugh :colondollar:)

In english we have read King Lear and studied the poem 'Convergence Of The Twain' by Thomas Hardy and are due to read Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm most worried in german about the directed writing and speaking.

Sorry for the ramble,I just really want to..not fail.
Reply 1
I'm also getting nervous already!

I've got 5 heavy highers to do :O

For english get yourself, " How to pass higher english " and " Higher English Grade Booster ", apparently they are godsend so i reccomend them!

Personally i think they're also very good:smile:

Have a look at; http://www.staloysius.org/Myrtle/English/s5/moduleindex.htm

Someone posted before, may be of use to you,

If you need any helps with maths, then its one of my strongest subjects so don't hesitate to ask for help.

For german, ( i'm doing fench ) but for directed writing , write as many essay you can based on past papers and get them marked by your teacher. In terms of speaking, im assuming you'll be asked to do a presentation then discussion, i don't think this is include in your prelim ( ask teacher ) If it is , then speak it out a few times, record it, stick it on your mp3 player or whatever and constantly play it over!

Practice Makes perfect,

Hope that helped
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I've not even started revising yet lol - thinking of starting at the start of January.

For maths I would advise doing every single question you can and make some up on your own and get teacher to look over them.
For English my revision would consist of making essay plans for loads of essays during the week and then writing some out at the weekend in the time limit (45 mins). And of course for close reading, read newspapers and sophisticated magazines.
Reply 3
Can mods delete this thread? I didn't realise it was still around,and it is not relevant anymore.

Latest

Trending

Trending