Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 now and I'm thinking about what I want to take next year for A levels. I know that the A levels I will be definitely doing are:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics

But I'm not sure which one I should pick for the last one. I know that I'll definitely want to go down a science/ maths path at university, but I'm not sure which one. Should I pick biology so it keeps my options open for what I can take at university or as a career in case I enjoy it more at A level then I do at GCSE, or should I just forget biology and choose further maths as biology's probably my least favourite science. Which one do you think I should take?

ReputationRep:
    biology's gay, do fm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzy12345)
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 now and I'm thinking about what I want to take next year for A levels. I know that the A levels I will be definitely doing are:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics

But I'm not sure which one I should pick for the last one. I know that I'll definitely want to go down a science/ maths path at university, but I'm not sure which one. Should I pick biology so it keeps my options open for what I can take at university or as a career in case I enjoy it more at A level then I do at GCSE, or should I just forget biology and choose further maths as biology's probably my least favourite science. Which one do you think I should take?
    i cant decide for you but further maths is disgustingly easy at AS level....but disgustingly hard at A2 level.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    They are both two completely different subjects, I would say do whichever one you enjoy the most at GCSE, plus there's nothing stopping you from doing all 5 then dropping the one you dislike the most

ReputationRep:
    well i think biology may be easier than fm at AS level.
    the biology content in AS is quite easy to get hold of whereas fm can be really tricky at times, (i've seen my mate's fm textbook, :cry:)

do more research on your career and then make the best decision for yourself, u still have time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    i cant decide for you but further maths is disgustingly easy at AS level....but disgustingly hard at A2 level.
    but that depends on what modules you choose, right?

obviously FP2 + FP3 + M5 are insane, but you could always opt for an 'easier' set A2 modules such as FP2 + S2 + D2/M2 which I'm sure would be challenging but more manageable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    but that depends on what modules you choose, right?

obviously FP2 + FP3 + M5 are insane, but you could always opt for an 'easier' set A2 modules such as FP2 + S2 + D2/M2 which I'm sure would be challenging but more manageable.
    i thought you had to do FP3, if not then youd be lucky but FP2 is very hard still

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths if you really like maths (like I do - it helps to like it). I'm doing biology too and I'd say it is not bad at all - I don't think you'll find it as hard as you think you will.

ReputationRep:
    Ding FMaths would really strengthen an application based on the other 3, as by the subject range you have it would most likely be a physical science, perhaps some form of engineering even.

Biology is a bit more of the odd one out, it's a lot more wordy and lengthy explaining things, rather than just whacking out some equations to prove something or get a result.

If you think you're very strong in Maths naturally (or pretty good but very hard working) then you'd probably be okay. Biology can be done solely just by hard work though, lot of memorising of things and specific wording. I find it a bit more of a bother than anything! Though, it might be nice to break up what is quite a Mathsy-bunch of subjects.

For you, Further Maths looks like it might be of more use.

There's probably a couple of weeks period where you can change if you think you've made the wrong choice once you've started though!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics

If you want to do Physics/Maths then go for Further Maths. Yes, it's possible to do a Maths/Physics/Engineering Degree without Further Maths but Universities only say that because not everywhere offers Further Maths and they can't be seen as being elitist. So, if you're seriously considering Physics/Maths/Engineering, do Further Maths (and choose the Mechanics Modules - the Stats/Decision Modules are, quite frankly, obsolete if you want to do Physics/Engineering).

If, on the other hand, you want to do Medicine or Biochemistry or something like pharmaceutical research, choose Biology.

It all depends on what you want to ultimately do. If you're in Y11, then you still have 8 months until your GCSE results come out - from there, you can make a better decision.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do further maths. If you are after a more science based course at university, having further maths generally keeps more options open for you. Further maths is also useful for other course e.g. economics so you'd have more choice there.
    Biology is definitely easier but if your college is actually offering further maths, it will give you something different on your UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do BiLOLogy.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, from what I've heard is a sham of an AS

Do further maths, it's interesting and challenging!

Obvious bias is obvious though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    Biology, from what I've heard is a sham of an AS

Do further maths, it's interesting and challenging!

Obvious bias is obvious though!
    what have you heard?

Biology is harder than Chemistry and Maths

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics

i would do maths if i could go back in time because i have an interest in biology. I did further maths, maths, physics and geog, and i really want to do biol A level

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm regretting not taking biology, but I wouldn't trade it for further maths. But that's because I need f maths and not biology.

If you're good at maths by all means, take further. Just don't think getting an A* at GCSE will guarantee you even a B at A level.
    Though I could say the same for every subject at A level :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    what have you heard?

Biology is harder than Chemistry and Maths
    Maths > Physics > Chemistry > Biology.

Yes, this is a generalisation, but the majority of people find this to be the case. Of course there will be exceptions and just because a lot of people find this to be the case does not make it "right" per se, but meh.

It is generally regarded that Biology is the "easiest" of the three sciences as you need only to be "booksmart" in order to get a top grade; it is basically memorisation of facts (albeit a lot of facts)

Although, having said this, you only need to be booksmart to get top grades at A Level in any subject.

The general consensus is that Chemistry and Physics require more intellectual thinking and problem solving.

And Maths is, by far, the subject that require the most problem solving (although having said that, all the AS modules are complete jokes).

~

For fun:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which is the purest of them all...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermind_107)
    Maths > Physics > Chemistry > Biology.

Yes, this is a generalisation, but the majority of people find this to be the case. Of course there will be exceptions and just because a lot of people find this to be the case does not make it "right" per se, but meh.

It is generally regarded that Biology is the "easiest" of the three sciences as you need only to be "booksmart" in order to get a top grade; it is basically memorisation of facts (albeit a lot of facts)

Although, having said this, you only need to be booksmart to get top grades at A Level in any subject.

The general consensus is that Chemistry and Physics require more intellectual thinking and problem solving.

And Maths is, by far, the subject that require the most problem solving (although having said that, all the AS modules are complete jokes).

~

For fun:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which is the purest of them all...?

The problem solving required by Maths and Chemistry is simple compared to that required by Biology. Maths and Chemistry, if you know the method, you can do the question. The questions are explicit.
    The exams in Biology are obscure, in that they posit a large number of "Suggest" questions, the answers for which are not in the book.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, cheers guys. You're probably right. Furhter maths would probably be the best option for me.

But I've got another question. I don't want to go into medicine right now, but what if I change my mind when applying to universities? I know that chemistry is compulsory for medicine, but would biology strengthen the application form of a medicine student? Would a person who took chemistry and biology have a better chance of getting a place at a university than me if I changed my mind and decided to take medicine?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well if you are certain of the 3 you listed, then picking a 4th means that if you dont like it, drop it after AS. The 3 you have chosen are well respected and will get you into any scientific/mechanical career to be honest.

If you are looking to go into medicine, definitely do biology, yes they prefer chemistry since its more difficult but nearly all medicine applicants have chemistry, biology and another subject or two (bias going towards physics and maths since they are hard subjects so more respected).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.