Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am on an Access course at the moment and have one particular tutor that is late in marking, everyone moans about her.

For example, we have had unit 1 results from all subjects before we did the unit 2 assignment except for this tutor, we have now done the unit 2 assignment and asked for the results of unit 1 and she said that she had only marked some of them because she had been busy with ucas applications.

She has been doing the same thing for years according to past students, so it feels like we have to just put up with it. Am I right to expect results before attempting the next assignment, surely we need feedback to be able to improve.

Is anyone else having this or a similar problem?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, myself and others are having issues with our tutors taking forever to mark work as well.

Some people have not received work back from 2 assignments ago, that is getting on for 2 months I would imagine. We all took a level 2 maths test over a month ago and no results back yet.

Not only are we having issues getting work back but we are finding that tutors are handing out assignments and then changing aspects of it.....

For example the last task on an essay assignment I wrote was changed weeks after it was handed out! - OK the deadline for the assignment was still 2+ weeks away but I work ahead and I had already completed it; in the end the tutor agreed to accept what I had done, everyone else has to do it differently.

An IT spreadsheets bit of work was handed out early to those of us who had completed all the previous work early - again, that changed and we had to redo 50% of it.

Certain teachers have handed out assignments and only taught what we needed to know a few days before the deadline!

There are more issues but it would take all day to list them!

The frustrating thing is that the tutors give us NO flexbility and expect everything done 100% to the rules or we are capped at a pass........... however they don't adhere to the same standards and they don't give work back within 14 days or do other things they are supposed to.

Right now I am just getting my head down and getting as much work done as possible - I think it is about all we can do to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    When we first started it was made very clear that work would be given back after a maximum of 3 college weeks. So far all my tutors have stuck to this, and normally get it back within two.

I would speak to your course co-ordinator as it sounds truly unorganised.

I think that im quite fortunate to be on an Access course that runs smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite fortunate to be on a Access Course at the moment that so far each individual assignment that was due in,I got it back in a few days.

I have only done a few assignments so far so this marking schedule may change in 2011 as we have all been informed on our Pre-Access Health course, that some of our assessment work might be 2nd cross marked by a different lecturer other than the one who teachs us the subject, this is because they need to see if the lecturer who first marks it is giving us all fair equal consideration

I also think they sometimes do this 2nd cross marking to make sure the other lecturer is teaching the subject content right and we are all hitting the marking criteria as well to pass

ReputationRep:
    We have some stuff unmarked from months ago too. Mostly just stuff from the course tutor though, who te be fair has spent the last couple of months sorting out 150 odd people's UCAS forms so I guess it's only fair to give him a bit of leeway lol. Still annoying though as he takes almost all my subjects so I have loads of stuff I wanna know what I got for but haven't had back yet

ReputationRep:
    I'd kick off if I was you. How do you know what you need to do to improve on the next assignment if they haven't marked the previous one? Sounds ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    After reading the replies I feel rather fortunate now.

On the course i'm doing there is some deviation between tutors.

Our course leader is pretty organised and prefers assignments back on a certain day due to having free time to mark them. He usually takes about 5 hours to mark. There have been ones where by the time I have gotten home the marks are on the system.

One tutor can take a few weeks but it is for a less important subject area and people don't really mind that much.

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted 4 pieces of coursework, 2 english & 2 history. I got one english mark last month & the second last week. I get my history marks and feedback for both next week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.