Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im really in severe need of help with this question for my microeconomics coursework thats due next week and would really appreciate any help

Q. Suppose one of the two goods is a bad. What do you think this implies about the shape of the indifference curves? ( i think that this part is an indifference curve that slopes upwards from left to right ) Distinguish between two cases :

when the individual is forced to consume the goods whether they like them or not

and when the individual can costlessly throw away any of the goods they do not like.

Please HELP
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ICs are normally downward sloping. So if a good is bad, I think they mean that the more you get the worse of you are, hence it is upward sloping as you say.

My problem with this though is that in order to draw ICs you use certain assumptions about consumers - one of which is 'more can't make you worse off'. So in a very technical sense, you aren't drawing ICs if you draw an upward sloping line.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.