Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am possibly moving houses in January to another court in Parkwood, in my original house one of my housemates has moved her extended family in and they are some of the dirtiest, most disrespectful people I have ever met in my life. These last ten weeks have been hell for me. Hopefully the move will be better.

I'm aware that everyone will already have made friends, how do I go about fitting into the household? I am genuinely a nice person but a little bit shy and quiet. What sort of things should I do when I move in?

Has anyone ever moved houses during first year? Do you have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    She moved her moved her whole family in??? How did she get away with that?

My advice would be to make a big effort to get to know everyone. Talk to them lots...don't spend too much time in your room instead hang out in the kitchen and just generally be pleasant (obviously!)

If they are half decent they will make a good effort to help you fit in in your new house too!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where you're moving to? One of my housemates is moving out at the end of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Do you know where you're moving to? One of my housemates is moving out at the end of December.
    I've been told Purchas Court but they won't tell me what number.

ReputationRep:
    I moved houses in oct/nov from grimshill court to purchas court.... hmm I wonder what number you'll be at!
    It's hard to fit in with a new house as they have already clicked, I have found this in my new house... However it's still a lot better than where I used to live
    As someone's already said, just be pleasant and nice to everyone, make an effort with them and they should make an effort back.
    don't make the same mistake I did... if they ask you to do anything in the first week or so of you being there, make sure you say yes even if you don't feel like it. otherwise they may give up with you too quickly which you don't want to happen!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    ooooooo i'm in purchas court.. but i'm not losing any of my housemates as far as i'm aware

but if our house is anything to go by you'd have no problem fitting into a new house.. we're a friendly bunch and so are most of the houses on our side of the court (the ones we speak to anyway!). whilst its true that the house may have already 'clicked' i think anyone would feel a little excited about a new housemate.. it's always nice to meet new people after all.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps my boyfriend's flat in Tyler lost one of their flatmates at the end of last year and they're all REALLY hoping they get someone new so I think if you just make an effort to see them and get involved you'll have no trouble fitting in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieee)
    I moved houses in oct/nov from grimshill court to purchas court.... hmm I wonder what number you'll be at!
    It's hard to fit in with a new house as they have already clicked, I have found this in my new house... However it's still a lot better than where I used to live
    As someone's already said, just be pleasant and nice to everyone, make an effort with them and they should make an effort back.
    don't make the same mistake I did... if they ask you to do anything in the first week or so of you being there, make sure you say yes even if you don't feel like it. otherwise they may give up with you too quickly which you don't want to happen!

good luck
    I agree, I'm not much of a party-er but will have to make a big effort. I've just found out I'm in house 9 so hopefully they're nice. The first 12 weeks were hell on earth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I've just been told its number 9. Hopefully everyone's nice. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovecraft243)
    I agree, I'm not much of a party-er but will have to make a big effort. I've just found out I'm in house 9 so hopefully they're nice. The first 12 weeks were hell on earth!
    Aww, well if that's the case it's almost guaranteed they'll be better than the old people, but if not, the rest of this year isn't super long, you'll get through it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.