Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Again! People smiling about me at work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, you probably seen my last thread, and wow! I was right again about saying I needed advice in preperation for my new job as I knew it would happen again.

Why is it, I talk to people, and they get annoyed, or at least, after I've spoken, they turn to the other person and smile as if to say WTF!

2nd day in today, so I asked if I've offended her and needed advice as I have this happen all the time where they subtlely laugh behind my back, and she said no nothing, you havent offended me etc.
    I asked a man sat next to them while on lunch if I've done anything wrong and he said no.
    But why do people act like that around me as if I've done something wrong.
    Other than that, I later made a more outlandish statement (that was the feeling in the dull reaction I got)
    She said "Why's it so miserable outside"
    and I said "At least it's nice and warm and the snows melted because I slipped on the ice yesterday"
    Now that's the worst thing from reactions that I've seen.

So what is my problem?

Is it the amount I speak, maybe every 5 minutes for the first 30 mins of seeing them, then it would be like every 30 mins I speak for about a minute.

2nd Example later on in the day, this woman accross the table who's got a permanent sad look on her mouth where it's an opposite of a smiley,
    I make sure she can hear while I say this to the boss
    "Hey you know that Sieble system, I keep thinking of that comedy show called cybill"
    And she didn't react to me but 30 secs later when he looked at her, she smiled.
    So she's laughing not with me but at me...again! why can't people smile with me?
    Did she do it as to not hurt my feelings thinking I wasn't having a joke and was serious so she kept her look serious?

It's doing my head in, in life generally cause it makes me not want to approach anyone and be happy and talk freely like people do

ReputationRep:
    Cool story bro.

No really, what is the issue? I don't really understand - your co-workers smile at each other?
    If that's the worst of your problems, then you have it eaaaasy.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, stop being so paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    You sound a teensy bit paranoid. Stop analysing life so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balface)
    Cool story bro.

No really, what is the issue? I don't really understand - your co-workers smile at each other?
    If that's the worst of your problems, then you have it eaaaasy.
    But I'm sure they do it because of me because it's straight after as if I'm weird but I talk normal just a bit happy and like talking

ReputationRep:
    You are weird.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they are smiling at you because both of you are looking at each other and don't want to frown or look angry at you. I would smile at my co workers if I had nothing to say to them and caught their eye. It's just politeness.

ReputationRep:
    I"ve seen your posts before and I've come to the conclusion that you should simply stop analysing other peoples reactions to you and the things you say. I know thats easier said than done, but you are you and you cannot change it, moreover why should you change?.You sound like a normal happy chap to me.

Over thinking things isnt good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I"ve seen your posts before and I've come to the conclusion that you should simply stop analysing other peoples reactions to you and the things you say. I know thats easier said than done, but you are you and you cannot change it, moreover why should you change?.You sound like a normal happy chap to me.

Over thinking things isnt good for you
    Thanks very much It's funny because in my job at the RAC many years ago like 2006, I was so happy and chatted happy and just friendly and stuff and most people liked me as a person. Maybe it's just different moods for different people.

Another thing I did today but to a girl who was finally energetic and smiley too, she was using the mouse with her left hand and i'm left handed so had to go up and say "Hey I'm left handed too lol, we are very rare"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pachyderms)
    Maybe they are smiling at you because both of you are looking at each other and don't want to frown or look angry at you. I would smile at my co workers if I had nothing to say to them and caught their eye. It's just politeness.
    No not at me, I mean at eachother, although yes they smile while listening, just like listening to a physcopath whos got them trapped in a corner would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_C)
    You sound a teensy bit paranoid. Stop analysing life so much.
    I'll try...I guess I should look at it like school, you've got a whole load of different people who like different things, like erm talking and general chit chat.

ReputationRep:
    Er...Man up?

Seriously, stop whining and just deal with it. That's probably why they laugh about you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.