Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If it had been the US President's offspring in a car in Washington... Watch

ReputationRep:
    In place of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall in London, and the 'protesters' had acted in the same way and smashed windows/physically assaulted the President's offspring - the protesters would swiftly have a bullet between their eyes.

Those protesters should consider themselves lucky that the Royal Protection Officers showed restraint - because the Secret Service would not.

ReputationRep:
    but i doubt obama would let his family near such an event, its surprising the car wasnt redirected

ReputationRep:
    I find it irritating how much people are *****ing about this. Even if you want to talk about the violence of the protests - I think the more pressing matters were the serious injuries that people suffered and not some damage to a ****ing car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    I find it irritating how much people are *****ing about this. Even if you want to talk about the violence of the protests - I think the more pressing matters were the serious injuries that people suffered and not some damage to a ****ing car.
    The Duchess of Cornwall was physically assaulted. The fact is - these were an innocent, elderly couple who were attacked without provocation.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: That was some funny stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    The Duchess of Cornwall was physically assaulted. The fact is - these were an innocent, elderly couple who were attacked without provocation.
    She was physically attacked? I thought it was just the car that was attacked?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No doubt the spineless Tory government will do nothing about it. As usual they are like rabbits in the headlights when it comes to a few protesters.

how many ****ing threads do you need to start?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Craiky1506)
      She was physically attacked? I thought it was just the car that was attacked?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
      'It was reported on Friday that the rioters not only physically attacked the car, smashing a window and splattering the limousine with paint, but also assaulted the Duchess of Cornwall. A protester was able to poke Camilla in the ribs with a stick through a window that was apparently open at one point during the incident, according to the Evening Standard.'

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...91993612A00000

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aeolus)
      :rofl: That was some funny stuff!
      Pretty sick attitude, tbh.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Silly Goose)
      I hadn't heard that she was physically assaulted, just damage to the car. Could you be a dear and show me a source for this?
      See my post above yours.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Suprised one of the officers did not get out and fire a few shots in the air. Your right though had it been Obama's kids its likely one of the protesters would have been shot,

ReputationRep:
      'It was reported on Friday that the rioters not only physically attacked the car, smashing a window and splattering the limousine with paint, but also assaulted the Duchess of Cornwall. A protester was able to poke Camilla in the ribs with a stick through a window that was apparently open at one point during the incident, according to the Evening Standard.'

That changes things then. It's odd since, from what I've seen, people seem to be concentrating on the car damage and not anything physically done to either of the royals.

ReputationRep:
      But then again Obama isn't stupid enough to drive a car through rabid teenage rebels. It's like putting a rabbit in a cage full of lions.

ReputationRep:
      1) Shooting someone? Get a grip. Seriously, you're absolutely pathetic. The Monarchy as an institution makes its members more than just another old couple - they're a symbol of the Crown, just as Parliament itself is.
      Not to mention just how ridiculously out of proportion a response it would have been to start shooting protesters. We don't live in China for god's sake.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Suprised one of the officers did not get out and fire a few shots in the air. Your right though had it been Obama's kids its likely one of the protesters would have been shot,
      Yeah, I don't see why they didn't just aim their guns - don't have to shoot anyone and would scare the protesters away.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stratos)
      But then again Obama isn't stupid enough to drive a car through rabid teenage rebels. It's like putting a rabbit in a cage full of lions.
      The event occurred in Regent Street, which was completely off the agreed protest route. And, the royal couple couldn't just not attend the Royal Variety Performance.

ReputationRep:

I don't know - all it says is the Evening Standard has reported it, sources like the BBC/Sky News don't report any physical attack at all.

It's debatable, at the very least. Anyway - if someone pokes an innocent elderly old woman in the ribs, they should be arrested yes, but why should they be shot? There's no more reason than if they poked my Nan in the ribs with a stick.

That's if it even happened.

Besides, your point 'if this happened somewhere else and the circumstances were a bit different than there would be a different outcome' I don't quite follow. You could apply this logic to anything, surely? Except it didn't happen there, the circumstances weren't different and so there wasn't a different outcome - I don't see the point in saying there would be.

ReputationRep:
      In place of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall in London, and the 'protesters' had acted in the same way and smashed windows/physically assaulted the President's offspring - the protesters would swiftly have a bullet between their eyes.

Those protesters should consider themselves lucky that the Royal Protection Officers showed restraint - because the Secret Service would not.
      I don't like the idea that people can be killed for throwing a bit of paint at the wrong people. It reeks of brutal authoritarianism.

ReputationRep:
      Out of interest, why was the window open/lowered? On a security standpoint this defeats the purpose of bulletproof glass... I agree with a poster on here I would have thought the close protection guys would have atleast drawn their weapons or fired into the air.

On the other hand, imagine what the press would be saying if the mob had been infiltrated by some nutter or terrorist?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.