The Student Room Group

Cutting Ties With Past Friends And Places

I spent my 20's dwelling on the past and what with getting back in contact with old friends via facebook. Many of them have changed and now have kids etc - making me realise that so far I have done nothing worthy with my life.

I only really keep in contact with old friends via the internet these days as a few years ago I moved away. I have no friends where I live sadly.

I'm in my early 30's and hope to do a 5 year course in a city I've never been to in a couple of years. So I know I will make loads of friends in the future.

Part of me is like yeh, start over. But part of me is scared about the whole thing - I will have to chuck out alot of reminders including photos and camcorder footage of me mucking around with old friends in my teens....I have alot of stuff from the past 30 years!!

I suppose that's just life isn't it?

Has anyone else ever done this??
I wouldn't advise chucking out the photos and camcorder footage. You may not want to see them now but when you are really old, you might have a different view. Just hide them somewhere for now.

I don't think you can ever forget people or places if they make a real impression on you. I haven't even seen in person some people I know (or knew) for 5 years but I still haven't forgotten them.
Reply 2
Oh I know I will never forget many people and places. I am just extremely unhappy with my life and that is tied to the past.

Oh and also I have 70 video tapes (which take up alot of space!) it would take ages to convert to dvds!!!
Get rid of them. Nothing in this life lasts forever, and this includes friendships.
You can't escape from your past. They'll find you :O
Reply 5
Original post by Glowy Amoeba

They won't as I have been doing all the chasing over the years for the most part :frown:
Original post by Glowy Amoeba

Why not? Nobody has to continue a friendship.
Original post by rajandkwameali
Why not? Nobody has to continue a friendship.

bad joke on my part :colondollar:
You don't have to get rid of everything to make a fresh start- everything that's happened up to now has made the person you are, and is helping you to become the person you want to be.. even if it might not feel that way at the moment.

You will regret it if you throw everything away. I know this from when I deleted a lot of photos from my past, including exes and such, but by doing that I kinda feel as though I have a whole three years of my life missing- which isn't good!
Reply 9
I'll keep photos and a few bits and bobs. It would be worst if I wasn't going to university and starting again......so I can look to the future positively!
Sometimes it's good to move on and find new friends. The only ones are good but they often move on and find new friends and a new life style in which you do not fit.
It's a shame, especially if you got on so well but sadly this is life.
Never ever throw away photos! Just hide them somewhere safe and out the way, your parents house maybe, or your own attic?
There's nothing wrong with starting fresh through, new palce, new friends, new life etc. Just don't throw away memories from your childhood
Reply 12
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
Never ever throw away photos! Just hide them somewhere safe and out the way, your parents house maybe, or your own attic?
There's nothing wrong with starting fresh through, new palce, new friends, new life etc. Just don't throw away memories from your childhood

I don't have many photos. Anyway I was talking about since I was 16. I will always keep school photos etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Gemma :)!
You don't have to get rid of everything to make a fresh start- everything that's happened up to now has made the person you are, and is helping you to become the person you want to be.. even if it might not feel that way at the moment.

You will regret it if you throw everything away. I know this from when I deleted a lot of photos from my past, including exes and such, but by doing that I kinda feel as though I have a whole three years of my life missing- which isn't good!

O EM GEE.

I was scrolling down this thread and AS I read your sig, that song came on on my spotify shuffle... creepy or what? :eek:
what do you have to lose?
It's good to move on to new things and new friends if that's the way life goes, but it doesn't mean you need to go all Stalin and destroy the evidence of friendships from the past.
Reply 16
Original post by bluewater69

Part of me is like yeh, start over. But part of me is scared about the whole thing
I suppose that's just life isn't it?

Has anyone else ever done this??

Sometimes, in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark. I like this quote :smile:

I say dive into the unknown and take a leap of faith!

Although keep the videos and such, they are memories. But stop looking backwards and look forwards with eagerness. Otherwise you'll be 60 in 30 years time and thinking the same as you are now.
Reply 17
Yeh.....I want to look to the future, but the question is does the future want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending