Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dont you think the police are really under-preciated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They do a great job but the media seem to always find something wrong with what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reeda)
    They do a great job but the media seem to always find something wrong with what they do.
    I personally think the media thinks too highly of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reeda)
    That's pretty much what tabloid journalism is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reeda)
    If the police does a great job, nobody notices because everything is normal and no one gets hurt. But when they fail, a crime is committed and that's all people see. What I'm saying is that the benefits of having the police are invisible but the problems with law enforcement are not.

So people lose track of what the cops do for them and get all ungrateful. Also, you do have some corrupt officers, which doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reeda)
    I have experienced/observed police corruption and malpractice firsthand, and I honestly can't think of a time I have been actually helped by the police.

They are dicks basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    If the police does a great job, nobody notices because everything is normal and no one gets hurt. But when they fail, a crime is committed and that's all people see. What I'm saying is that the benefits of having the police are invisible but the problems with law enforcement are not.

So people lose track of what the cops do for them and get all ungrateful. Also, you do have some corrupt officers, which doesn't help.
    I really couldn't comment as the police presence in my area is minimal. My local Police Station is only open weekdays 9-5 WTF!? It's not a shop!

This is probably more to do with budget restraints rather than anything else. I reckon the police do do a good job under difficult circumstances. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes when 'it' kicks off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpye11)
    I have experienced/observed police corruption and malpractice firsthand, and I honestly can't think of a time I have been actually helped by the police.

They are dicks basically.
    Care to share these tales of abusing power by the Fuzz?

ReputationRep:
    the media tend to make every group of people look terrible, police, students, politicians, teachers, the NHS, just about everything but the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. However there are so many corrupt and power mad police that the majority of them get tarnished. The negative amount of things that I have heard/seen police done seem to outweigh the good things. I don't like the 'I hate the police' attitude though but the police does need to change their behaviour if they want a better image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Student)
    I really couldn't comment as the police presence in my area is minimal. My local Police Station is only open weekdays 9-5 WTF!? It's not a shop!

This is probably more to do with budget restraints rather than anything else. I reckon the police do do a good job under difficult circumstances. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes when 'it' kicks off.
    Ok maybe in the UK the fuzz aren't that good. But they can improve. I was in Tokyo for a while, and every single policeman there is competent and friendly, as a result there is almost zero crime in a city of 30 million people.
    So good police is possible, they just need training, or like you said, £££!!

ReputationRep:
    Policemen and women are necessary public servants who are as elemental to our society as doctors, teachers and firefighters. To have a bias against them through some political persuasion is simply underhand, and serves no one.

As someone said above, the effects of good policing are unnoticeable - in that in an area where policing is of a high standard, there is nothing to report on. That's not to say that there won't be occasions where individual policemen abuse their position, but such is the role of many public servants such as teachers who abuse their proximity to children. Whilst they should of course be made an example of - you wouldn't go around claiming that all teachers are inherently paedophiles.

To put it simply, policemen have both a difficult and necessary job to do, and for their merit, their hard work, determination and commitment to keeping the public safe, I have a lot of respect for them.

ReputationRep:
    When they do a good job the media doesn't want to know; the slightest whiff of negative publicity potential though and the media's all over it.

Some members of the public though are just determined to work against them at every available oppotunity.

Also it doesn't help that they tend to make enemies of a lot of people - what with their whole job being about taking scum off of the streets and more recently containing rampaging students.

ReputationRep:
    Had no bad experiences with them, generally if you don't act like a **** towards them they're pretty reasonable. The students yesterday got exactly what was coming to them.

ReputationRep:
    No I think the police are incompetent. I was mugged by a 'brown asian' probably indian/pakistani descent, the police would not allow me to say anything beyond Asian. ASIAN! Asia pretty much contains every race in existence. Surprisingly I never heard back from the police.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.