Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petrol prices reach record high. Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems unleaded petrol has reached 121.76p per litre which is even more than the 2008 high when oil was double the price of what it is today

It's quite depressing really, when I passed my test it was 94p per litre and I thought that was expensive.

Do you think there should be another mass protest and boycott of petrol stations and what happened to the fuel stabiliser promised by the Tories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    It seems unleaded petrol has reached 121.76p per litre
    Think you've got it high matey? It's 125p down here in Devon. ****ing ridonculous.

ReputationRep:
    First bus is only £4.50 for a network all day ticket. Just saying.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I don't think im going to be giving up my car for a bus anytime soon.

I can't really complain, even though the price is high my car gets about 110 miles to £12 of diesel which lasts me about 8 days

ReputationRep:
    It's high because of the exchange rate now, rather than crude oil prices.

****ty though, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I agree. Petrol is expensive. But as one of my geology lecturers pointed out, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a litre of alcohol! Also, you think about how much processing etc. that goes through actually getting of a litre of petrol and it's quite impressive it's so cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Basically I agree. Petrol is expensive. But as one of my geology lecturers pointed out, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a litre of alcohol! Also, you think about how much processing etc. that goes through actually getting of a litre of petrol and it's quite impressive it's so cheap.
    Without government taxation it would be roughly 30-40p at the pump :rolleyes: The VAT hike over new year will push the price up again. Ridiculous. I manage to put down 200 miles a week going to work 3 or 4 times, plus social driving, means its expensive to run even a moderately economical car.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that there aren't more protests over this. It is a far greater scandal than tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Without government taxation it would be roughly 30-40p at the pump :rolleyes: The VAT hike over new year will push the price up again. Ridiculous. I manage to put down 200 miles a week going to work 3 or 4 times, plus social driving, means its expensive to run even a moderately economical car.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I realise petrol prices are majorly made up of tax. That's why petrol in UK is so very much more expensive than it is in other countries in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moviebuffateer)
    BUT consider all OTHER runnings costs of a car (insurance, road tax, petrol, road side assitance etc) it is far cheaper to use a car than public transport.
    Depends greatly on your circumstances though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, its 117.9 in Bristol, glad i'm not elsewhere...i wonder where the cheapest place in the country is, and why does it vary so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    Wow, its 117.9 in Bristol, glad i'm not elsewhere...i wonder where the cheapest place in the country is, and why does it vary so much?
    Each petrol station will only need to compete with others in its locality. Therefore, there will be pockets of different prices, the shape of them being dictated by the distribution of nearby petrol stations and the volume/direction of traffic arteries. This is the kind of geography that's really quite interesting and applicable.

ReputationRep:
    74p per litre when I passed my test.

ReputationRep:
    This means that people like Roman Abramovich will be earning tons of money (Chelsea ftw). There are still around 6 months left before I can drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    The cheapest in the whole of the UK is 115.9p and the most expensive is 141.9p according to petrolprices.com.

I think it will come back down to 110p at some point, maybe febuary as the cure for high prices usually is high prices.

ReputationRep:
    As for the varying issue, there is a BP garage near me charging 127.9p for diesel and about 2 miniutes down the road there is an Asda selling it for 120.9p.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.