Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tailbone- how easy to fracture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically fell on ice right outside my house this morning and went straight down onto the tailbone like a ton of bricks. The pain! Took a while to get up, it still hurts quite a bit..sitting on hard surfaces and walking up stairs especially. I've fallen like that before but not on icy concrete! No bruise as of yet, happened about 9 hours ago. Wondering would it be possible I have fractured it? I'm quite underweight too so would probably be more exposed to injuring it than the norm! Would have to go provate for an x-ray, bahh. Basically, does that sound like I've just hurt it and it'll go away, would I have to be in absolute agony and unable to get up if it was a fracture/break? Or does that sound spot on like a fracture?

ReputationRep:
    Talibone - brothers of the taliban.

It's hard to tell, as often it is just bruising but you can never really know. If it's not impossible go down and have a scan. Better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Basically fell on ice right outside my house this morning and went straight down onto the tailbone like a ton of bricks. The pain! Took a while to get up, it still hurts quite a bit..sitting on hard surfaces and walking up stairs especially. I've fallen like that before but not on icy concrete! No bruise as of yet, happened about 9 hours ago. Wondering would it be possible I have fractured it? I'm quite underweight too so would probably be more exposed to injuring it than the norm! Would have to go provate for an x-ray, bahh. Basically, does that sound like I've just hurt it and it'll go away, would I have to be in absolute agony and unable to get up if it was a fracture/break? Or does that sound spot on like a fracture?
    The answer to the title question is - incredibly easy! I've fractured mine five times in the last 10 years and it still hurts to sit on it. The first time I fell on my tailbone, the pain was excruciating but didn't go to the hosptial or have any scans (only found out later it was a fracture). I healed gradually by myself but was in pain for about 6 months? Definitely recommend getting it x-rays, if just for your own peace of mind

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, think I'll try arrange one on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    Most hospitals and/or doctors won't x-ray a coccyx. There's not a lot they can do, so they usually leave them to heal.

I broke my coccyx in a car accident 4 years ago and have coccydynia - chronic pain in the coccyx. There's no treatment for a damaged coccyx, unless you want them to stick their finger up your bum and have it manipulated digitally. Yuck.

ReputationRep:
    I'll see if it gets worse/prolonged. Just because there's no bruise yet? Would be a private clinic anyway.

(Original post by StarsAreFixed)
      I'll see if it gets worse/prolonged. Just because there's no bruise yet? Would be a private clinic anyway.
      You are young.
      The x-ray won't change anything (if broken they wont do anything, if not broken...they wont do anything)
      Meanwhile that will be a good dose of radiation to your rather young ovaries.

painkillers and a cushion my dear.

ReputationRep:
      It's quite easy I think, but it will get better on its own. I fell down some stairs in rollerskates once. . . . three years ago. It still hurts to sit for too long . I thought at the time I had just bruised it but apparently coz it's still so painful it probably broke, so I think it's fairly easy.

But like others have said, there's nothing a doctor can do for a broken coccyx, so just rest and mind the ice

ReputationRep:
      Could just be haemorrhoids dear.

ReputationRep:
      Right, didn't realise it makes no difference! I'm sure it's not broken so that's fine. Thanks all for help.

I'd be fairly confident haemorrhoids aren't caused by falling on ice..??

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.