Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, pretty much I'm wondering if anybody could give me advice on what would be the best way to study law and (ideally) get qualified to potentially practice in both Scotland and/or England. I'm not British, but I'm in the process of waiting for my Slovenian citizenship/passport to come through, so I presume I'd be classified as an EU for fees' sake. However, I already hold a BA from a uni in Canada. Would this affect my fee status? How much does an undergraduate degree cost in Scotland for an EU student? Some rumours say there aren't any fees, more often I see a price of about 1800 pounds per year, but some say that students who already hold a degree need to pay around 6000 pounds?! I'm very confused in this respect - somebody please enlighten me!

Also, a few questions about law itself. Which uni would you recommend - Glasgow or Edinburgh... or some place else?? Ideally, if I were to spend 4 years, I'd rather be in a major city where I could work while studying - but then again, I saw that Dundee has a dual qualifying degree program. Anybody have any Dundee experience? Is there a demand for lawyers in Scotland who are also qualified in England? Is there a different attitude towards accelerated LLB degree graduates? Finally, would an outsider have any chance of being accepted and allowed to become fully integrated in Scottish society?

ReputationRep:
    I expect you'd have to be domiciled in Slovakia - just having citizenship won't be enough to be classed as an EU student. EU students do not, at the moment, pay tuition fees if they attend universities in Scotland: there are fees, in theory, but they are paid by a government organisation. After getting an LL.B you have to a year's postgraduate diploma to practice as a solicitor - that'll cost EU students around £4,500.

The main law schools in Scotland are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Strathclyde (in Glasgow). Only Dundee offers dual-qualifying degrees. However once you qualify as a Scottish solicitor, after the two year traineeship, it is relatively easy to then qualify as a solicitor in England - sitting a few exams and so forth. There is, of course, demand for dual-qualified solicitors.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.