Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi there
    so i really think that a career in the army is for me.
    i am currently in my 2nd year of a degree in veterinary medicine, and i applied this year to join the OTC.
    I passed the selection day and went for the enlistment day thingy and filled out LOADS of forms, only to then have my medical and get turned away because i was slightly under weight (and apparently the doctor that day was being really strict and later got told off by the rsm!). GUTTED

the thing is i can still apply for the veterinary/medical bursary and try again next year, which i really want to do, but i dont see much point in wasting my time and getting my hopes up again if i will just fail the medical again.

this is my problem:
    in my last year of school i had a 'difficult' time and ended up getting myself anorexia etc... fortunately i wasnt living in the UK at the time (though i am british) so technically i have never received Inpatient treatment in the uk. BUT i still was getting treatment in my first year, and i got a bone density scan while i have been in the uk, and unfortunately it did show up with osteoporosis levels of bone loss but i was told that if i got my weight up and got my periods back etc... it could be reversed within a year or two.

i was doing ems this summer and lost weight while milking cows hence was temporarily slightly under my healthy bmi when i went for the medical. after a few weeks of 'recovery' from work experience i soon got my weight back up.

do you think if i am at a healthy weight next year i will have a chance of getting in??? also as long as i dont declare having anything suspicious on my medical forms is it possible for them to find out??? it REALLY is all behind me now and i just really want to get on with my life.

thanks for your help
    sorry for such a long post!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    only the army doctors are fit to tell you that; apply and see what happens.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisysmith)
    i was doing ems this summer and lost weight while milking cows hence was temporarily slightly under my healthy bmi when i went for the medical. after a few weeks of 'recovery' from work experience i soon got my weight back up.
    You do realise that life in the Armed Forces would be a lot more demanding on you than a bit of work experience? If actually working made your weight drop that much and you had to 'recover' and couldn't pass a medical, it isn't really 'behind you'. It sounds as if you are a lot better than you were, but with a way to go yet. Just think - that was really a few weeks - how would 6 months deployed to Afghanistan working 16 hour days in up to 50 degree heat be?

ReputationRep:
    Seek advice from someone in the recruiting world. I could be flippant and say that there is enough spare lard hanging off some members of the Armed Forces to average things out, but as mentioned above these limits are in place for a reason. Seeing the amount of weight guys were losing during a tour outside the wire in Afghanistan, especially in the summer, makes me think that if they had started off underweight, they wouldn't have managed.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies,
    from what you say though my medical history wont automatically exclude me, even if i were to declare it on that form? so i shall give it a second go!

happy xmas!

ReputationRep:
    this is my problem:
    in my last year of school i had a 'difficult' time and ended up getting myself anorexia etc...
    I would suggest you may find going somewhere like Afghanistan a little more trying.

....the thing is i can still apply for the veterinary/medical bursary.....
    If you are after money get a part time job.

ReputationRep:
    Putting aside deployment in Afghanistan, the various field weekends that are scheduled for autumn/winter in your first year UOTC (MLDP1 training) will really push you. The last 2 field exercises were during the recent spell of cold weather. It was a good way to loose a couple of pounds and it's so easy not to eat.

Merry Christmas and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.