Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the situation of grants for pgce courses? I heard the government are yet to decide... will it make a big difference, and if so for what courses?

ReputationRep:
    i get the impression untill the government make thier minds no one has a clue at the moment im afraid

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it has to do with the government - I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the budget for the TDA has already been voted for next year. Now the TDA is working on how they can use that (significantly reduced) budget so it's a matter of prioritizing.

I think they have three things to look at: their staff, the training providers, us.

1 - They have to pay their own staff. Depending on how much they have, they can make two decisions: reduce the number of people working for them saving up money for the other two categories or keep them all but they'll have to sacrifice something from one of the other categories.

2 - They have to pay the training providers. Again, two decisions: either they pay them as much as before and the number of places allocated stays the same but in this case they'll have to sacrifice something from the other categories or they reduce the money and the number of places decreases too.

3 - Us. Either they keep the bursaries and grants the exact same but have to sacrifice something from the other categories (either staff or places) or they reduce them to spare a bit more of the other two categories.

ReputationRep:
    I got told at my interview that we will know by the end of january as thats when the TDA should of sorted out their allocation of their budget etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it depend on what you want to teach?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.