Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and I want to do a degree in maths and economics/maths at the following universities:

Oxford
    Imperial
    UCl
    UECL

what do I have to do to get there?
    At oxford there's a MAT and they' encourage students to take what mathematical extension is available to then (e.g. STEP/AEA)' so should I do the STEP exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana's Girl)
    I'm currently in year 12 and I want to do a degree in maths and economics/maths at the following universities:

Oxford
    Imperial
    UCl
    UECL

what do I have to do to get there?
    At oxford there's a MAT and they' encourage students to take what mathematical extension is available to then (e.g. STEP/AEA)' so should I do the STEP exam?
    STEP and AEA aren't required by Oxford. Imperial have asked some people to do it this year but not everyone. Wouldnt hurt but STEP, especially, is very difficult so unless you're certain you can do so well I would consider aiming lower.

Also what the **** is UECL supposed to be? I know a lot of uni abbreviations but I don't know what that is.

You should think about Warwick, Bath and Bristol too. You also need to be confident that you'll be able to achieve at least A*AA and a further maths A level wouldn't hurt either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    STEP and AEA aren't required by Oxford. Imperial have asked some people to do it this year but not everyone. Wouldnt hurt but STEP, especially, is very difficult so unless you're certain you can do so well I would consider aiming lower.

Also what the **** is UECL supposed to be? I know a lot of uni abbreviations but I don't know what that is.

You should think about Warwick, Bath and Bristol too. You also need to be confident that you'll be able to achieve at least A*AA and a further maths A level wouldn't hurt either.
    okay thanks
    sorry I meant LSE
    How many am I allowed to apply to? And I'm doing further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana's Girl)
    okay thanks
    sorry I meant LSE
    How many am I allowed to apply to? And I'm doing further maths
    You seem to be centred around London which is both good and bad. London does have some great unis BUT unless you're a top top student it's difficult to get in, not forgetting there are some great alternatives outside of London that are better than your current choices.

You will have 5 choices. Considering you're looking to do maths AND econ I would suggest Warwick, LSE, Oxford/Cambridge and two more. LSE and Warwick are excellent for econ, Warwick is excellent for maths, I'm not certain how good LSE is for maths but it's likely to be reasonably good. Perhaps consider Nottingham as they are pretty strong for maths and econ too. UCL would be a good choice too I suppose....(it seems your choices were pretty good to start with but consider these other ones too, I don't know if they offer your combinations or not but they do have strong departments for both parts of your course). Durham, Bristol, Bath, Exeter.

Excellent, FM will help you in a number of ways. Doing further maths tends to lower the typical offer you're likely to receive on application and will be loved for both parts of your course - econ depts like maths and further maths as do maths depts.

NB: Aim realistically. These suggestions are the best of the best and if you can't achieve the typical offers you could be in a lot of trouble

Do some research into offers given for your course and which unis offer it from those I've suggested before you decide to do STEP/AEA - I know some of my suggestions ask for STEP/AEA for maths but not sure about whether they want it for the combination

PS: Apps for Oxford have a deadline of October 15th so you need to be prepared.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.