Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Current Account for my situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need a good current account with debit card and cheque book. My only income at the moment is Job Seekers' Allowance.

I'm also weary of straying into the red by a couple of pence and having to pay through the nose for it. So if there are any that take that into consideration.

Really could do with some help on this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How are you currently getting your JSA paid?

Most current accounts these days come with debit card and cheque book as standard. Just get a Nationwide account or similar.

ReputationRep:
    If you go over by a few pence on a Santander account they'll reverse the charges you get for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    How are you currently getting your JSA paid?

Most current accounts these days come with debit card and cheque book as standard. Just get a Nationwide account or similar.
    (Original post by Bartlet)
    If you go over by a few pence on a Santander account they'll reverse the charges you get for it.
    It's paid straight into my account.

Thanks, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Santander. Used to be with Abbey, then they were taken over by Santander. I went 70p into an overdraft for one day and it's cost me a year of my life and £200. I also now have a laughable credit score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)

Thanks, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Santander. Used to be with Abbey, then they were taken over by Santander. I went 70p into an overdraft for one day and it's cost me a year of my life and £200. I also now have a laughable credit score.
    Yes I really don't recommend Santander, I signed up with them to have my salary paid to them after I heard about the 5% AER interest offer, however after hearing everyones bad experiences with them, I never deposited a penny. I use Lloyds, they are very good. I also bank with RBS and Nationwide and they are good also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)

They've changed it very recently.

If you're overdrawn by less than £10 for whatever reason, they won't apply any charges.

ReputationRep:
    The Co-Operative bank provides a debit card with their basic account - don't know if any banks provide a cheque book with their basic accounts, I know the Co-Op, Halifax, Bank of Scotland, RBS and Natwest don't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.